Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgeon has me on a pre-op liquid diet. I've noticed that many people are put on a no carb diet before their surgery. I'm following the diet all day with a shake for Breakfast and lunch and three liters of Water, but instead of a shake for dinner I've been having a packet of salmon (putting lime and salt on it) and sliced tomato's. Question 1: Is this going to keep me from having surgery? I don't want to sabotage myself but I am not a sweet eater and these shakes are killing me. They aren't bad in taste I just don't like sweets, if they made one that was turkey and gravy flavored I'd be set!

For the know it all's, I know why I have to do the diet, I know it shrinks my liver and I know it's tough. However, I've also noticed that many people that have a low carb/no carb pre op diet so I don't see how this is going to keep me from having surgery. Just in case, weigh in with your opinion, please.

Question 2: Is there a "too much" with the sugar free Jello, sf popsicles, and chicken broth? I'm only having a cup of the broth a day 1-2 of the jello cups and rarely a popsicle. I'm just trying to gage how I'm doing in comparison to some of you that have done this already. I know that in last three days I am to have nothing but the shakes and water and I am totally preparing for that but up until then Im sticking to this to the best of my ability and hopefully not sabotaging myself in the process. Thanks to all!

My doc didn't have me do a pre-surgery diet at all. My impression was that the practice I went to only does that with very obese patients. (I am 5'9" and weighed 283 at surgery. I'd actually *gained* about 7lbs before my surgery having a few too many "last meals.") Other people I've talked to gave me the impression that their surgeon made all of their patients follow a pre-op diet with a lot of liquid meals. Bottom line, it probably won't really hurt you, but it's probably best to follow your doctor's instructions as well as you can.

Have you thought about trying unflavored Protein powder to keep it from being too sweet? You can always add a tiny bit of low sugar fruits to get a little flavor. Check into Designer whey and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Proteins. I know that Unjury carries a chicken broth flavored Protein Powder. Maybe that would be a little easier to get down. I don't know how it would be, but maybe if you added the chicken Protein powder to non fatmilk, it would be kind of like a creamy chicken Soup?

Well My Pre-op was low fat/sugar/ liquid all day and 1 MEAL under 300 calories, the purpose was to shrink the liver so that it isn't in the way when surgery is performed. My Doc. simple said: if it's not shrunk I won't do your Surgery. :o

Eating less isn't going to make a difference, you will lose more weight which is a good thing :P

I did use the Isopure Protein Water which I didn't find as sweet as the other Protein Drinks and they have O carb, sugar free 60 Calories ( I didn't like the sugar sub. aftertaste) BUT it's tolerable and Isopure PLUS with 190 Calories.

http://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Alpine-6-Count-Bottles/dp/B001M0NJOQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1369007588&sr=8-7&keywords=isopure

Hope this helps Jackie<<<<< Who doesn't know it all :P

Well My Pre-op was low fat/sugar/ Liquid all day and 1 MEAL under 300 calories, the purpose was to shrink the liver so that it isn't in the way when surgery is performed. My Doc. simple said: if it's not shrunk I won't do your Surgery. :o

Eating less isn't going to make a difference, you will lose more weight which is a good thing :P

I did use the Isopure Protein Water which I didn't find as sweet as the other protein drinks and they have O carb, sugar free 60 Calories ( I didn't like the sugar sub. aftertaste) BUT it's tolerable and Isopure PLUS with 190 Calories.

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=isopure

Hope this helps Jackie<<<<< Who doesn't know it all :P

The diet your doctor gave you is exactly what I am doing now. This made me feel much better, thank you!

My doc didn't have me do a pre-surgery diet at all. My impression was that the practice I went to only does that with very obese patients. (I am 5'9" and weighed 283 at surgery. I'd actually *gained* about 7lbs before my surgery having a few too many "last meals.") Other people I've talked to gave me the impression that their surgeon made all of their patients follow a pre-op diet with a lot of liquid meals. Bottom line, it probably won't really hurt you, but it's probably best to follow your doctor's instructions as well as you can.

Have you thought about trying unflavored Protein powder to keep it from being too sweet? You can always add a tiny bit of low sugar fruits to get a little flavor. Check into Designer whey and unjury Proteins. I know that Unjury carries a chicken broth flavored Protein Powder. Maybe that would be a little easier to get down. I don't know how it would be, but maybe if you added the chicken Protein powder to non fatmilk, it would be kind of like a creamy chicken Soup?

Thank you, this was helpful. I cant believe you didn't have a pre-op diet, you are one lucky girl. I'm tempted to look up your doctor and switch, LOL! I don't want to buy anything else because I've literally bought all of my shakes for the next two weeks. However I will look into adding the protein power. Thank you!

I had no pre op diet at all and I had a BMI of 72, which is EXTREMELY high.

However, with that said, what my doctor or any other doctor says is irrelevant. It is imperative you follow your doctor's instructions verbatim both pre op and during the post op diet.

It's not a pick and choose what we like situation. You have to do as you're instructed for your own safety and health regardless if you like it. My doctor had me liquids for 4 weeks after surgery. I was starving and saw many on here eating real food after a couple weeks- but that didn't matter. My doctor said 4 weeks of liquids so that is what I had to do, just like you now have to deal with a pre op diet you don't like.

Just my opinion.

I had no pre op diet at all and I had a BMI of 72, which is EXTREMELY high.

However, with that said, what my doctor or any other doctor says is irrelevant. It is imperative you follow your doctor's instructions verbatim both pre op and during the post op diet.

It's not a pick and choose what we like situation. You have to do as you're instructed for your own safety and health regardless if you like it. My doctor had me liquids for 4 weeks after surgery. I was starving and saw many on here eating real food after a couple weeks- but that didn't matter. My doctor said 4 weeks of liquids so that is what I had to do, just like you now have to deal with a pre op diet you don't like.

Just my opinion.

True, well said. Thinking....

Thank you, this was helpful. I cant believe you didn't have a pre-op diet, you are one lucky girl. I'm tempted to look up your doctor and switch, LOL! I don't want to buy anything else because I've literally bought all of my shakes for the next two weeks. However I will look into adding the Protein power. Thank you!

No problem! As far as the Protein stuff goes, this recommendation is mostly for later. My nutritionist says WLS patients should get 90g+ of protein a day, and you should not have more than 40g at any one time. Once you're properly restricted with your band, It's pretty much impossible to get that much protein down unless you're doing some kind of a Protein Powder. What I'd suggest is this: go to a good vitamin/supplement store like GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or even Whole Foods (though you'll pay more) and pick up a bunch of different single serving size packets of different brands and different flavors. I like the Jay Robb and Spirutein brands. Neither of them is overly sweet. Syntrax tastes pretty good to me, but it might be too sweet for some (Especially the Syntrax Sweets line.) The thing is, it's largely a matter of taste. What I like, you may not, and vice versa. You've got to find one (or several) that you can eat on a day in, day out basis. Buying the single serve packets will cost more up front, but that way you can find ones that you like, and you're not stuck with a month's supply of something you have to choke down every time. (I've done that a couple times. Once with a zero carb Isopure dutch chocolate... yuck! It was like choking down chocolate flavored grit!)

I do a 40g Protein shake first thing in the morning every day. If you're like most people, you'll find that you're tighter in the mornings, so your first meal of the day will usually be liquid. My favorite is to do 1 1/3 scoop of Jay Robb vanilla, 1 cup non fat milk, and 1 tbsp Peanut Butter. It comes in at about 40g, and 330 calories.

Greek yogurts are also great. There are a number of brands with no fat and anywhere between 10-14g of protein per serving.