Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight watchers

Do any fellow bandsters go to Weight Watchers? I am finding that my band helps me with quantity, and the Weight Watchers helps me with quality. I don't know of any other bandsters who do this though. :eekB:

I don't do weight watchers (or any diet per say, I never could follow them) but I think weight watchers is one of the best ones out there.

Good luck !!!

As a former WW'er, I know that WW can work (although I think it's better for losing 15-20# before a class reunion rather than a major 100# long term weight loss solution for obesity.)

But I differ from most people in that one of the reasons I got the LapBand was freedom from programs like WW - I realize I have to modify my food intake for the rest of my life, but I was personally TIRED of being on specific programs, meetings with weigh-in's etc. I do attend LapBand support groups but I don't miss WW for now.

They've gotten plenty of my time & money throughout my lifetime (I first attended WW in my pre-teen years) but guess what - after years of it, I was still fat. I lost 30# here and there, but rarely got a breakthrough as I've begun to have with the Band.

But for many folks, it's a great option to learn nutritional information and get support.

Happy Band Journeys To All...

I've read other LBT people who are doing WW too. I'm not one of them LOL but I know there are some out there.

DonnaB-I was banded about the same time as you and don't have anywhere near your weight loss. I'm impressed. What do you do, eat? Thanks.

I agree with NewSho. I am no longer going to think of myself as dieting. If I do, I will be setting myself up for failure. I do plan to make better food choices and eat much less by listening to my band. But, as long as my band will tolerate it, I do not plan on giving up anything.

I am a former member of weight watchers. Their whole plan is set up around eating a specific amount of points each day. I am only 2 days into banding, but from reading other posts from more experienced banders, I think we would have trouble meeting WW daily point requirements. Other than that, I do believe WW's is a great program and people can be successful with it. I was all 7 times I tried. But, that was the problem, I always fell off the wagon. With my band there to constantly remind me, I think I will do much better.

I don't think there's anything necessarily WRONG with doing WW and being banded. In fact, programs like WW often base their dietary recommendations on healthy portions and quality foods. It's my understanding that WW now has 2 choices for the program you'd like to follow. Either the points or the old, so many servings of Protein, veggies, starches, fruits per day. I don't think that most bandsters should have any trouble following these programs and if it helps keep you on track, go for it.

Personally, I get depressed thinking about one more diet. Early on in my banding, I thought to myself "am I gonna have to log everything I eat, forever" or "this feels so much like one of those d*mn diets, am I gonna have to be on a diet forever?" Once I got the hang of how I was supposed to eat and learned how to listen to my band, I realized that I was doing the right thing just by letting the band work. Yes, I still have to make quality food choices. But as far as quantity the band is the gate keeper.

If WW is how you consistently make those healthy, quality food choices. There should be no reason for you to question it. Whatever works for you, hon.

DonnaB-I was banded about the same time as you and don't have anywhere near your weight loss. I'm impressed. What do you do, eat? Thanks.

Hi Maggie,

I'm just eating smaller portions. I've even eaten pizza - shhh, don't tell anyone - I just don't eat nearly as much as I used to!

The best thing I've done for myself - besides being banded! lol - is to sign up on www.FitDay.com. It's a food journal, a diary, a source of nutritional information, it keeps track of your moods and food triggers, it tells you what your calorie restriction needs to be to lose weight, how many calories you've burned - all kinds of cool stuff. It's an excellent way to keep track of what you're doing. I wish I'd known about FitDay ages ago - who knows how much it could have helped me even pre-band. It's free to use the online version and that's a good way to see if it's something you'll use, but if you use it for a few days or a week and you like it, go ahead and buy the download for $20 - it's more if you don't become a free member first. That's the best $20 I've ever spent. The downloadable version is better at keeping up with your custom foods. You input the foods you eat on a regular basis and then when you're logging your food each day it's a one click addition - it's soooo easy. Can you tell I love it? LOL

I can't tell from your post how things are going for you? You don't have to share your weight if you don't want but, how much have you lost so far? Have you had a fill yet? How are you doing as far as port comfort and scarring? I love talking to people who were banded about the same time as me - it gives me an idea of where I stand in the grand scheme of things. I think I'm about average.

Thanks for posting and good luck on your weight loss journey.

I dont want to "diet". But I think that for some people, its enormously helpful. Some of us have personalities that respond well to routine and discipline and lets face it, with a band, the consequences of falling out of routine arent as disastrous as they once were because you still cant eat very much.

For me, it makes me obsessed with food and figure out ways to sneak in treats rather than eat healthy foods, so I try not to diet like that. But I must admit, I know the points value for nearly any food you could imagine, so many times have I been to weight watchers, and an awareness of points/calories is certainly a part of my everyday eating.

I agree, dieting STINKS! I'm with DonnaB on FitDay, it's great to use when my scale stalls, I can log my foods and see why I'm not losing.

Personally, I follow the mindset along the lines of the South Beach Diet as recommended by my doctor. Lean Protein and Good Carbs. It works since we need to get all our Protein in to begin with. I don't follow it to a T- but it just helps me keep things straight in my head.

:eekB: Kristin

I have been writing down what I eat since being banded. It helps me keep on track. I wasn't getting enough calories and was feeling bad. I uped my calories to 1200 per day and started feeling a lot better. I then started concentrating on Protein, Fiber, and getting my Water in each day. I started using FitDay when I saw LBT recommendation. I love how it tracks everything for me. I have been very satisfied mentally and physically in my new way of eating. Someday when I get the system down in my head and the excess weight off my body, I can stop writing everything down.