Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port flipped no longer can get fills - sad day......

Well I went in to get a fill today and found out my port has completely flipped and I can't get a fill anymore. I am so frustrated right now. I just cried at the office. The doctor said it just means I am not meant for the band after all these years and I should do the sleeve instead because it has a higher success rate than the band. Didn't even offer me options to get the port slipped back. This happened to anyone else?? I am just at a lost....

Sounds like he wants you to make his Mercedes Benz payment for a few months?

I would recommend a second opinion.

I wouldn't even know how to react to a doctor that obviously is into up selling you instead of fixing the problem. I would go see another bariatric surgeon for a second opinion for sure.

Your port flipped (a relatively easy complication to correct) and he wants you to revise to a sleeve?? WTF???

If he won't give you his options to repair the flip, I agree, get a second opinion.

Why wouldn't the doctor just fix the port ? I agree with the rest you need a different Doctor sounds like he doesn't want to bother with the up keep

Well I went in to get a fill today and found out my port has completely flipped and I can't get a fill anymore. I am so frustrated right now. I just cried at the office. The doctor said it just means I am not meant for the band after all these years and I should do the sleeve instead because it has a higher success rate than the band. Didn't even offer me options to get the port slipped back. This happened to anyone else?? I am just at a lost....

Hi I had a port flip also, he also said I had a band slip, any how , that was in November of 2012. My doctor was going to fix the flipped port in jan2013. He decided to replace the whole band since he was going in anyway. So I had a new band put in this band was a 14cc band . Larger than the one taken out. With my first band I lost 90 lbs in 2 years time. So my new band is in I have gained back 50 lbs in a couple of months. So I am starting over. Jan till now may 2013 have had about 8 fills and have had no restriction yet. Am really disgusted and I feel I should of never taken the old band out , and had it replaced. I should of just let him fix the port only. But words of wisdom to others. Just hoping for the best with this new band. I have 10.5 cc in my new 14cc band. Still can eat as if I had no restriction,

I would agree with the others and say get a second opinion. A male friend of mine had his port flip last year and had to have a revision. It set him back about 6 weeks but after that he did very well. Unless there is some other reason the doctor thinks you should get the sleeve a port revision is not a great reason by itself. Plus if you are an insurance patient I would think getting a sleeve would be a great deal harder after having lapband paid for than a port revision would be.

A port flip is a pretty easy fix........I would have run out of that surgeon's office in a hurry! Go find a new doctor's office or take the bull by the horns and ask him why it can't be flipped back?

Go see a new doctor!

The port revision surgery is relatively simple, and you may not even need complete anesthesia!

If everything else about your band has been successful, then why would you switch??

WHAT????

There are many who have had there port flip...evidently it must be common....one or two people I know had it fixed in the Dr,'s office with a local....

He HAD to be joking....it does sound like joke at the wrong time....

They can just fix the flipped port. Your doctor is choosing not to, seek another Doctor to fix it. The same happened to me only they replaced the everything a whole new band and port. I'm sorry I just didn't fix the flipped port only, because I'm 4 months post op with this new band and its Not working yet :(

Thank you everyone. I was so down yesterday that he didn't give me options. Just said that obviously the band isn't working for me so I should do the sleeve and then started his staff on getting me info about sleeve and left. So he has never had good bedside manner but I ignored it because his surgical abilities were rated so high. But now I don't care how good he is listed as a surgeon because he just sucks! I will be looking for another surgeon to go to, to say the least! I just didn't that on top of all the other crap I have dealt with.