Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advise - I'm a bit too tight

I've seen several threads that deal with this topic but I'm having a hard time finding the answers though the search so forgive me if this is duplicated.

I have several questions that I need some advice on...

Some background... Banded 2/8/06 - 1.7ccfill in 4cc band on 3/21 and 2.7cc on 4/18. I was comfortable and eating well but still a bit hungry between meals with the 1.7 but now I feel "Uck"

My questions...

I want to give the fill time to settle in or whatever happens - how much time do you all suggest waiting before an unfill. I can keep Protein Drinks down and most Soups but that's about all. It's been a week tomorrow.

My doctor only does fills/unfills on Tuesdays (tomorrow) and I'm going to be out of town the next two Tuesday so if I don't do it tomorrow I'll have to wait. Waiting isn't all that bad since I can keep Protein drinks and Soup down so I don't guess I'll starve. (not likely anyhow)

I'll be at a seminar the next two weeks but think I can manage some mushies or protein drinks but worry about the formal dinner nights. I'm hoping soup will always be an option.

I really hate to get an unfill since I'm finally losing. I know that you really have to hit your sweet spot before you start losing and to be comfortable with eating solids but "like it or not", I think it's depressing to spend so much money and work so hard and not lose "something". It's been 13 weeks since pre-op diet and I've lost 16 pounds which is good but about 7 of them was in this last week.

Any help you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. I'm just torn mainly on going tomorrow and getting an unfill or waiting for about three more weeks.

Yikes, Girl!

Id go for an unfill. Slight one.

If you are NOT able to have ANY solids than you are probably too tight.

My other suggestion would be to wait it out - sometimes fills "loosen" over a little time. But it looks like its either now or in another month.... so I say go now.

And if you need more later, then get more later!

Its better to be safe, then sorry.

To be honest, your 2nd fill seems to be a little aggressive(1.0 cc added). The first fill you had is generally speaking a 'normal' amount. My doctor usually does the 2nd, 3rd and so on in .2 - .3cc increments (even less then this at times). A gradual increase.

Yeah I thought it seemed agressive. I was actually thinking that .2 or .3 more would have been perfect since I felt pretty great, was losing a bit (1/2 pound per week), and just wanted to be a bit tighter.

It seems doctor's don't like you to tell them their job. I told him I though about .2 would be great. He said "well see how the Water goes down"

Go for the unfill. For a few reasons;

I assume you are flying to your seminar? Flying ALWAYS makes me extra tight for a few days.

Stress makes me tighter also, and traveling can be stressful.

If your doctor is pushy about you telling him what you'd like, ask to have a 'little bit' taken out, and let him decide how much that is. (as a side note, I think the idea that he'd give you that much when you only wanted a little is arrogant)

I know you are happy to be losing, but even if you don't get tighter with the travel n' stuff, you'll get sick of being on liquids, and you will probably find yourself frustrated as heck to go to dinner with people from the seminar and not be able to eat. Even if Soup is always an option, what if the 'soup' is chili? It's all chunky and stuff and there's not alot of liquid to satisfy you, you know? I've been too tight before. It's icky.

;)

Just an update... I called the doctor and spoke with the nurse who "relayed" my message to the doctor. I got a call back on my voice mail that said for me to try and wait it out.

I am driving to my seminar so lucky the flight issue won't be too bad. I also have one other good thing. I have two different seminars to go to the one next week is only Tuesday and Wednesday so I could call the doctor and try to force my way in Thursday. I know that's not his normal fill day but I also know he's in the office that day and occassionaly sees patients.

The next week will be hell if i'm still too tight, since the seminar is all week and many meals together with people.

Thank you all for the advice I do appreciate it. I think you all are so wonderful and really appreciate the group here.

cashley,

I wouldn't want to go against your doctor's advice, BUT if you can't get solds down 6 days after your fill, I'd be concerned.

Sometimes my doc says to go slow with a fill, meaning do liquids for like a week or 2 then mushies for a week or 2 then slowly into regular food actually starting with very soft food. That's his conservative advice. For those individuals who show no problems it's 2 days, 2 days and 2 days...respectively of liquids, mushies and soft food.

Remember, you could have a little swelling from the new fill, making it hard to get things down. That's probably why he recommended waiting. I've also heard of fills "kicking in" or getting even tighter afterwards. Please be careful.

If your seminar is a distance from your doc and you run into trouble, what are you gonna do? Just a question.

The seminar is only 2.5 hours away so I guess I'll just drive home if I have a lot of probelms. Tonight I tried a few bites of chicken with a bunch of BBQ Sauce. (to keep it not so dry and slippy) and I stopped after just a few bites (like three teaspoons) and it's staying down. I also used the hold your breath trick I saw on another thread and think it worked.

I'm really praying next week goes ok but if it doesn't I force my way into my doctor toward the end of the week.

I'm thinking that I'm still swollen from the PB's and hope that I can maybe reduce it by taking it really easy for a few days.

Wow, I was not ready for a 2.7 fill just 2+ months after being banded.

Heck your body is still adjusting to having this 'thing' around its' stomach so your doctor's approach seems a bit different.

That's more than aggressive even by my (apparently) aggressive standards.

I still think an 'de-fill' to a lower level would be best. Just 2-3 months after banding even a 2.0 fill would be great to help you get back on the road to good banding.

Good Luck & keep us posted.

Happy Band Journeys To All...

Every time I have had a fill I feel like it is way too tight. This lasts for a couple of weeks and then the band seems to loosen up a bit. My doctor says that my stomach swells from the irritation and relief comes as my stomach swelling is reduced. I would suggest waiting this out for a couple weeks and see if things change. While your doing this you should appreciate handsome weightloss. Good luck to you.

My opinion: Kinda seems aggressive on the fill side. The doctor telling you "to wait it out" seems to poo poo your feelings. You know how tight you are, not him. If I want a slight unfill, I nicely suggest this and figure he can have his opinion and I can have mine, but if I want a slight unfill it is my body. Usually during these tighter times, you lean toward Protein drinks, Soup, Fluid, and junk (goes down easy). At least this is what happens to me...as I am never quite satified with the liquids.

Good luck...Shawn

I have been leaning toward junk. Yesterday I had a small frosty from Wendys and a pudding too. I haven't really been tempted with that stuff since banding. I am going to wait until tomorrow and call him again. That would be two more days from the inital call.

Thanks everyone for the advice.