Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a refill but is something wrong with my band?

I should have gone in january again for my filling but didnt so it kind of stopped working and last couple of weeks maybe I have been so hungry. Like alot worse than before the surgery. Now im constantly hungry day in and day out. My stomach is constantly growling kind of painfully and im painfully hungry even if i take a large eating session from hunger. Like normally before the surgery I had two sandwiches maybe and that lasted me quite some time but now two sandwiches are not enough. Not even little bit. Im still really hungry and constant stomach growling. Is this normal??

I have my second filling tomorrow morning and im so worried that something is wrong. I probably wont be able to sleep from worries. Can someone please help me.

Has anyone had this after not going right away for a filling?

And i dont know how much i should get. I think 2 ml is too little since its so long since i had this?

I think you need to talk to your surgeon or fill person about this, and also trust them to know how much fill to add. An upper GI study/barium swallow x-ray should show whether your band is in the right position and the condition of your esophagus and stomach. It may just be that weight loss has caused the visceral fat surrounding your stomach to shrink enough to make your band feel looser, and a fill should take care of that.

The timing and amount of fill is for your doctor to decide based upon your feedback. It sounds like you have allowed your portion sizes to get far too larger. Are you eating Protein first? The lap band works best with constant monitoring, so don't skip appointments. You need to see you doctor as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

I had my surgery in beginning of oct 2012 and then lost 6 kg the first weeks and then i had my filling and lost about 5 kg so it was around 11 kg and then it should have been time for a filling again in dec/jan but i didnt go so now i have gained weight again about 7 kg so overall i have lost 5 kg since the surgery... I feel so guilty and horrible and im so scared something is wrong because im NON STOP hungry. I have so much pain in my belly from hunger. I never had this before the surgery.

Im scared to go to the filling tomorrow and have some nightmare news about this. Im scared i wont even go because im so afraid of bad news and so embarrased for this.

I'd like to give you some reassurance here. The problem is that you are not in the 'green' zone. And yes, if you allow your band to be too lose, you will gain weight, you will be able to eat larger portions and yes you can stretch your stomach just like you did and could before the band. Eat more the body demands more. You need to get back into the green for the band to work.

Also, everyone is different. Some need 1-2 fills and others need 4+ fills to get to their green zone. Do not fixate on how many fills or how many cc's you have had inserted, rather focus on how you feel when you eat and concentrating on the rules to maximize the benefits of the band.

I had my surgery in beginning of oct 2012 and then lost 6 kg the first weeks and then i had my filling and lost about 5 kg so it was around 11 kg and then it should have been time for a filling again in dec/jan but i didnt go so now i have gained weight again about 7 kg so overall i have lost 5 kg since the surgery... I feel so guilty and horrible and im so scared something is wrong because im NON STOP hungry. I have so much pain in my belly from hunger. I never had this before the surgery.

Im scared to go to the filling tomorrow and have some nightmare news about this. Im scared i wont even go because im so afraid of bad news and so embarrased for this.

**you can eat good healthy, Protein filling foods that fill you up, if you wanted...so if you are truly hungry, eat..but drink first to make sure you are not thinking you are..even with a fill, unless you eat better foods, you can still gain..3500 cals is a pound,,if you eat more than you burn off, you will gain..fill or no fill

I understand all your fears, but chances are, there's nothing wrong and you just need a fill.

And if you don't keep that appointment, I can almost guarantee you that nothing is going to get better. The longer you leave a problem, the harder it is to fix.

Thank you ladies. I went there finally and had my filling and everything seems fine. But he only gave me 1 ml (1cc?) and is that enough?? Especially since i have been so hungry?

Thank you ladies. I went there finally and had my filling and everything seems fine. But he only gave me 1 ml (1cc?) and is that enough?? Especially since i have been so hungry?

How big is your band? Did your surgeon put any fill in it during your surgery?

Different surgeons have different fill philosophies, but generally speaking, the safest approach is to add small amounts gradually over time. If you have a 14cc band and your first fill was 13cc, you'd have an extremely difficult time getting used to eating after that fill. It would be like driving at 100mph into a brick wall.

I dont know what size of band I got :/.

I just know that in the surgery beginning of oct i got 4 and then beginning of nov i got 2 and now today I got 1. I think its too small because i was starving and had to eat all day.

Maga, I've been there too. It's ok. I understand what you are feeling. You have to let your doctors do their thing. This is a life time journey. And not an instant fix. I've had days where I even questioned if I wasn't scamed and they didn't put anything in because of how much I wanted and knew I could eat. Alot of times I was starving and went for food, and the only thing that stopped me was thinking, " I just had surgery so I wouldn't eat like this" and it would help me not eat. However, still felt I could. And worse, I WANTED TOO. I went back to doctor, after a long break, and found I had gained back weight. Due to stress and life issues. But I wanted to recommit to this. I just got a fill, and think I finally feel what I should have felt all along. And I'm back to losing. YOU CAN DO IT !!!!! I'm here for you. We are all here for you.

Thank you girls. Your wonderful for helping me:)

I think im in the red Zone now but im not sure if its normal or not. He just added 1cc/1ml and i cant swallow anything. I have barely eaten anything for 2 days now, is that normal? 1ml ago i was non stup hungry and now I cant eat...

Ive been vomiting all day because the food gets stuck. Even a small piece of cucumber got stuck. Its so small that its like 1/3 if a small raisin. And i spent so long trying to vomit it back up because it was stuck and hurt bad. So i havent eaten anything. Yogurt doesnt go down so well either.

I was thinking maybe this is normal first days? Or week?

If you just had another fill 2 days ago, cucumber may not be a good choice. When I get a fill, my doctor requires that I do liquids for two days, then soft/mushy food for 2 days, and then slowly adding solids. If solids get stuck right away, he says go back to liquids for another day or two. Your stomach swells after a fill and will be tighter than it will be after a few days, when the swelling goes down. If you get something stuck and vomit, that is going to irritate your stomach and cause even more swelling. You will then get into a vicious cycle and probably need an unfill. I would think you should go back to liquids for a few days until your stomach/swelling can calm down. Then slowly add soft/mushy like yogurt and see how it feels.

I think you are too tight! My doctor says mushies day 2 and cukes are mostly Water. They can take out very small amounts like .2 CCS. Call them today. You don't want to end up in the ER for dehydration over the weekend.