Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I so scared to not eat?

My surgery date is now less than 2 weeks away and Im starting to seriously have anxiety about not eating again?? Im sure this is normal, but it really makes me think about how important food has become in my life. Especially socially, we always eat out with our family and friends, and so this will be such a major change in my life. I already deal with anxiety disorder so this has just amplified my fear. I want this though. I do. This IS normal right??

Why do you feel you won't be eating again???

you can eat whatever you want only in smaller amounts. the band will help with that.

You will enjoy to eat, just differently!

Cm, you can eat. In fact almost anything you want. Just in moderation. And hopefully, you eating priorities will change. Trust me, I LOVED eating. And guess what? I still do. I just eat much less. Protein first. And smile is still there. And I bet it will be for you too. Best of luck.

I understand what you're feeling, and it's not a sign you're going crazy, but it should make you think about two things:

1) You will still be able to eat almost anything you want to. Some people have trouble with things like soft bread, rice, Pasta, and tough meats. You may or may not, but nothing should be forbidden until you try it and find out it doesn't work for your band.

2) The fact that you're afraid you won't be able to eat sounds a lot like me, and a lot like many people who have misused food during their lives. It wasn't that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to cope with not eating a whole pizza, an entire bag of chips, or a big restaurant dinner. And I can't do that any more, not if I want to succeed with my band. But the truth is, the reason I was doing that to begin with was because I had learned to use food to cover up negative feelings. Now I have to deal with those, which is hard and sucks sometimes, but I the long run, it is what's right and healthy.

If you're really worried, you might think about seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders (there are many more than just anorexia and bulimia out there). NEDA has a feature on their website where you can search for one in your area.

Living with the band is an adjustment, but it's mostly a mental adjustment, and I'm certain you can do it. Good luck!

While I appreciate your concerns to think you won't eat again is not logical. If you don't eat you will die.

What you cannot do is continue to eat the way you have been eating. You can still go out, enjoy friends and family meals and you can still eat. But you must make the correct choices or you will not lose weight. Having a band is like any other diet...but better since You will have a tool to keep your hunger at bay.

Best of luck on your journey!!

I think I worded that wrong, Im not afraid of never eating again, I know I will be able to eat in moderation, maybe Im more afraid of failing, of WANTING to eat more than I should, or actually eating more than I should and screwing things up. I dont really eat to cover up negative feelings, I eat out of boardem! I initially gained the weight because of pregnancy, I was always thin before. I just love food and love to eat! I lost alot of weight and then developed hypothyroidism and gained a bunch of weight back and havent been successful in sticking to any eating plan or diet.

Eating out of boredom is pretty similar. You need to develop coping mechanisms and focus of telling the difference between hunger and head hunger. I also think it's important not to cut out foods you love or to ignore your cravings. Find ways to work them in while sticking to your correct calorie and portion rules. You'll also find that if you follow the rules about eating slowly and paying attention to your food and your body, you'll find that you get a lot more satisfaction out of what you're eating. You get to savor things, which makes up a bit for eating small portions.

I'm a foodie. I love really good restaurants, and I can still eat there, I just have use tricks to control my portions and listen to my band.

You'll be okay. It's an adjustment, but it's actually a good one. :)

I think I worded that wrong, Im not afraid of never eating again, I know I will be able to eat in moderation, maybe Im more afraid of failing, of WANTING to eat more than I should, or actually eating more than I should and screwing things up. I dont really eat to cover up negative feelings, I eat out of boardem! I initially gained the weight because of pregnancy, I was always thin before. I just love food and love to eat! I lost alot of weight and then developed hypothyroidism and gained a bunch of weight back and havent been successful in sticking to any eating plan or diet.

I always think I want to eat more than I actually can physically eat...seriously i dream of having a whole burger or a heaping plate of Pasta or pick something.. But the truth is i cannt eat it. That's why I love my band...it won't let me. However it may not start out that way as it takes time to get to the green zone so you have to be strict with yourself until that time comes or you won't lose any weight.

I remember being pre op and having all the same thoughts as you.

Can I do this, I've failed so many diets before, will I just fail this too, etc.....

But WLS was my last hope. It was either try this or my life was over.

Guess what???

It does work!!! Follow the rules and it will work for you too.

Push the negative thoughts aside and say to yourself " what do I have to lose"

Best of luck to you!

I just love food and love to eat!

These are two different things, with the band it will help free you of your love of eating so that you can truly indulge your love of food. At least that has been my personal experience.

Unfortunately the band won't help you not eat out of boredom! I was like you and was always thin until pregnancy! Those darn kids are hard on a woman's body! After 6 years I have still not mastered my band! However, I haven't been able to get fills yet, which is a long story! I'm kind of a failure when you consider that for the last 2 years I haven't been able to stick to a weight and maintain. However, I have consistently kept off over 60+ pounds. Realize that your not perfect, the bands not perfect, and you will more than likely make a mistake or two or three....but that's part of the learning process! Don't put unrealistic expectations on yourself. It's one day at a time! If you look at it as a journey to health it's a lot easier than if you look at it as a journey to a certain number on the scale! Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it goes!

I think I worded that wrong' date=' Im not afraid of never eating again, I know I will be able to eat in moderation, maybe Im more afraid of failing, of WANTING to eat more than I should, or actually eating more than I should and screwing things up. I dont really eat to cover up negative feelings, I eat out of boardem! I initially gained the weight because of pregnancy, I was always thin before. I just love food and love to eat! I lost alot of weight and then developed hypothyroidism and gained a bunch of weight back and havent been successful in sticking to any eating plan or diet.[/quote']

I have hypothyroidism too.