Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone used Dr. Maese for fills?

Hello all,

I have my first fill appointment on Wed. 4/19 with Dr. Maese and I am really nervous! Has anyone gone to him for fills that would let me know what to expect?

Thanks in advance!

I have not personally but my close friend has. He sets her up every 3 weeks for fills and she states he is nice and really serious about you losing weight.

I had my first fill done by Dr. Maese on 3/24/06. My 2nd is scheduled for 4/24/06. By the way, he is Dr. Sanchez nephew.

First of all, he is very nece, professional and competent. He is a cardiologist and beleives tha the band is a good thing and treats hs patients with respect. His staff is frienedly, and the whole experience was simple and quick.

You never have to undress, and the entire prcess takes just a few minutes.

He located the port with ultra-sound, and did the fill. And then I walked back to another room where he has a fluoro machine where you stand up, you see your band on a screen, he gives you the barium to swallow, and gives you a print out of the picture so that you can take it with you. Then he has you drink Water before you leave to be sure that you can swallow okay.

Thank you for your responses. I am nervous!!! Just ready to get the "first" one over with! My appointment is at 4pm....should I eat or just do liquids tomorrow?

Thanks,

Kristi

Hey Kristi, have you had your first fill? How did it go?

I've scheduled mine, but won't be until May, so I have a little time.

sam

Hey Sam,

I had my 1st fill on Wed. and it went fine. It was actually very quick! He got my port on the first try and filled me to 1.6cc's. And I can tell you I feel it! And the floro was cool! and the barium was not that bad at all. If you have ever had to drink maloxx than you will be fine! I drank it by the case when I was pregnant!!! He gave me a still pic from the floro and sent me on my way. The only odd thing to me was that he wanted to see me back in 3 weeks. But whatever! So the anxiety is now over and done with and I feel good. I fell like I am really official now (hehe). Don't sweat it. It really is no big deal.

Kristi

Kristi, glad to hear things went well for you! Wow! You're about to break into the 100's woohoo! Way to go! Keep being a lahooser!! lol! Seems odd so soon also, maybe he just wants to chart your progress, or see if you need more restriction? Congrats again!

sam

Could someone who has been filled by Dr. Maese describe how he charges for the fills? I had my band placed by another doctor and don't know what to expect from Dr. Maese. Thanks for the info!

I really can't stand Dr Maese but I have to go to him b/c my insurance pays for it there b/c he has flouro. I am trying to find another place to get fills. I think he is arrogant, obnoxious - he lectures you if you arent losing weight as fast as other people, fills me up SO tight even though I told him and my band doc says I should get fills .2 ccs at a time. I could go on and on but basically I don't like him at all and he shares all your info - he lines the bandtsers up in the hallway like a herd of cattle and disucssed you weight with the other people!

Anyways, I guess he charges 100 per fill for cash - I pay a 30 co-pay for my insuramce.

Good luck!

Laura,

Thank you so much for the info and your honesty. I really appreciate it! I am new to all this- the band,posting, the forum, etc. so getiing your feedback is really helpful. Being talked to in a patronizing way is something I have no tolerance for. Neither would being lined up or lectured. So, I guess I will keep looking for a local MD for fills. There must be someone who does fills with professionalism and kinddness.

Dr. Maese charges $200 for a fill and that includes fluoro. He has 2 offices, 1 in Ferris where he does fills on Tuesday and Friday and the other 1 is in Dallas. I have gone to the office in Ferris. It is just south of Dallas, and saves me around 1 hour round trip.

I went to Dr. Maese for my 2nd origional consult(after i was approved by BC/BS) Dr. Robert Powell was my surgeon but I didn't go back to him after my follow up visit. I started going back to Dr. Maese's office in Ferris 140 mile trip 1 way,and I hate driving in Dallas. Yes he wants you to come back every 3 weeks which i don't do because I personally have to get used to each fill first. I am currently filled with 7cc's which he said that the band will hold only 9cc's. So i am really restricted and I do definetly feel it. I happen to like Dr. Maese because my wait is not long and all the equipment is all right there, you don't have to go here and there to get everything done. He is a cardiologist and that makes me feel somewhat confident. He has so many patients that he does not have time to socialize but hey thats ok for me. Of course I don't like his old scales but thats what he has in his office.

I wish all of you the best of luck, Have great day.

He's not my favorite either and I swore that I wouldn't go back to him because last time I was there I left in tears... but unfortunately he's the only Dr. I can get in to most of the time. I'm going to see how this fill goes with him again and if it's not a good experience I'm not going back.

But he does have good equipment... some of the best I've seen.... I like his flouro room, etc.

I just went back to Dr. Maese on 5/8 for my 2nd fill. Everything went fine again no problems at all and he said all the original fill was still there and he put in an additional 1 cc. I like the fact that it is 15 minutes from where I work in Dallas and I can go after work and be in and out of there in 15-20 minutes. I am now at 2.6 cc's in a 4 cc band and am feeling way more restriction than the first fill. It has settled down a bit, but still really tight.

Hey, Kristi.......you and I were probably at Dr. Maese's office at the same time!

If anyone wants to see Dr. Maese "for free" he's on Channel 8 local talk show on Thursday mornings quite often ....... does info on cardiology matters.

He did all my pre-op testing right there in his office in Dallas (Highland Park) last fall. I felt good about it because I have had several heart stents in past, high blood pressure, etc. He was very thorough, talked with my husband/son and me at length during the decision-making process. His staff was friendly and encouraging....many are wls patients. He has a woman on his staff who does follow-up activities.

I had my first fill last Wednesday, go back in 3 weeks for another. The day I was there it was kind of a 'herd' situation thru the hall, but that was ok......didn't have to undress, he was friendly and upbeat, and it was very quick in and out.