Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grocery List-inc. vitamins, broths and shakes

Pre-Op tomorrow, but I was hoping that I can get some suggestions for groceries before and after surgery. I just ordered my Unjury Protein Shake mix but I wanted to know what exactly I should have in my possession especially as I don't want to be walking into any grocery stores while on my liquid diet. I'd like to be as best prepared for this as well as possible. I thank you all for your suggestions. As stated above, I have pre-op tomorrow and I know they will give me a list but I just wanted to see what you all had to say or add to this list. I appreciate your input and suggestions!!!

Gas-x strips, gravol lozenges (the ginger flavored ones are nice..only took/needed it once), heating pad, chewable vitamins, Tylenol. I used a pill crusher for the Tylenol, but found I could actually swallow it whole. I only took the prescribed pain meds for 2days, then found Tylenol did the trick. I'm sure you'll get lots of other replies as to what helped with other people. We all want this to be as painless and hassle free as possible. One other thing...patience helps. Each day gets better. Good luck! Oh food wise... broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles as well as your Protein Drinks.< /p>

I got liquid everything - liquid Tylenol, liquid multi, liquid Calcium, liquid Omega-3. I'm paranoid something's going to get stuck, so for the time being it's a "better safe than sorry" policy. I also bought one-ounce cups with lids on Amazon (like the kind used to make Jell-O shots) so I could measure out portions of certain things and have them ready to go. Broths, Jell-O, Crystal Light... I couldn't do the shakes very well after surgery (tasted too "milky" to me) so I would make up a single-serve Crystal Light (about 16 oz) and dump a scoop of Isopure's unflavored whey isolate in it. Much easier to tolerate and a good amount of Protein. I also dump the isolate into broths and other liquids that already have a flavor (so, not plain water). It thickens them slightly, but doesn't really affect the taste. And when I needed a little more flavor than broth could offer, I made chicken noodle Soup and strained out the noodles. Popsicles and Jell-O are also great when I wanted something with a texture other than "sippable." :)

Don't go too crazy .......... I spent a fortune on what I might need post op..........bought $50 worth of unjury, couldn't stomach it, gave it away, bought carnation instant bfast on recommendation from my surgeon, couldn't stomach it, threw it out, bought high Protein pudding from GNG, couldn't stomach it returned it. I have enough gasx in my drawer to treat everyone on this board, I was over prepared.

Pre op, I was on Optifast only so didn't have much of a selection. Post surgery, I would have been happy to go back on Optifast, but just have Soups, Jello, heating pad, gasx, stool softener and take it day by day and introduce things in one at a time. Good luck.

Pre-Op tomorrow, but I was hoping that I can get some suggestions for groceries before and after surgery. I just ordered my unjury Protein shake mix but I wanted to know what exactly I should have in my possession especially as I don't want to be walking into any grocery stores while on my liquid diet. I'd like to be as best prepared for this as well as possible. I thank you all for your suggestions. As stated above, I have pre-op tomorrow and I know they will give me a list but I just wanted to see what you all had to say or add to this list. I appreciate your input and suggestions!!!

Pre op I was very restricted for me as I was allowed 5 Optifast shakes a day, sodium free broth, 2 popsicles and Water for 2 weeks. Post op was Clear Liquids the first week so lots of sodium free broth, apple juice (I diluted it w/ water) and Water. The 2nd week I was allowed skim milk, creamy Soups (pick out the veggies and meat or blend until smooth) , sodium free V-8 juice, yogurt w/ no fruit and 2 protien shakes a day.

By the time I started mushies on week three I had been to the grocery store. :)

I also wouldnt go crazy buying stuff. Just get the basics. sugar free Jello, beef and chicken broth, sugar free popsicles. As far as Protein Shakes what taste good now might not taste good after surgery because your taste changes. I bought banana flavored Protein Powder that I loved before surgery and I could not stomach it after wards. Also I would get the 4c Water flavoring instead of crystal light because it has no calories. You might be better off buying unflavored Protein powder and adding it to things.

I made my own chicken and beef broth before surgery because I can't stand the stuff straight from the can or bouillon cubes (low sodium or otherwise). I also stocked up on light white grape juice, light cranberry juice, no sugar added apple juice, crystal light, 0 calorie flavored waters, no sugar added fruit and juice bars, sugar free throat lozenges, sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, low calorie hot chocolate mix, low calorie cream Soups such as butternut squash, Tomato, black bean etc. (mostly the ones that come in a little box), Greek yogurt to make smoothies and some frozen fruit to add to the smoothies. Stuff like that should get you through the first couple of weeks depending on what your post op diet instructions are.

In the beginning, I had no problem with the Protein shakes (I used mostly Unjury), but right now I can hardly stand them. If I need to add Protein to something, I use the unflavored unjury. It's tolerable in Jello, puddings and stuff. My favorite thing to add to jello is unsweetened applesauce. You can replace all or some of the cold Water with it. It doesn't add a lot of calories per serving, but gives it more flavor and a little bit of a different texture.

GNC offers a 30 day return policy, even if it is open, might be a good place if you are unsure of tastes or if you will like something.