Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded 01/03/13 I am gain weight.

Hi everyone i just got band on 01/03/13 without a fill and now that i am eating mushies i am gaining weight. I go and get a fill this sat. will that help. My starting weight was 220 and i got down to 205 and now i am back to 209. I s this normal please let me i didnt spend thousands of dollors not to lose weight. I will be PISSED!

short and sweet.....you are still recovering from major surgery. you are swollen and have fluids and gas and all that goes along with it. the first month is for basically healing and getting your mind frame in the game...so dont worry about (not losing right now).....follow your dr's guidelines..stick with it and soon, very soon, you will notice a big difference...must heal and must let the band do its thing.....and the best you can do is help it along

Thank you for your reply. Should i being fasting or anything before i get a fill done? This whole process went very fast because i paid cash for mine i don't think i have enough info on how things are to be done.

CG is right about the first 6-8 weeks after surgery. They are for healing and not worrying about the scale. Follow your Drs orders and you will get back to losing weight.

As far as fills go, my Drs rules are not to eat within 4 hours of having your fill. Call the office and ask. The only dumb question, is the one not asked.

Good Luck!

I am surprised that you were not provided with adequate information about the procedure and the follow up care which is necessary for your health and success, even if you were paying the bill yourself.

I can only share what my surgeon's instructions were to me; I am able to eat as normal prior to the fill, though nothing within 30 minutes of the fill. Post fill I am required to be on a totally liquid diet for 48 hours, then on soft foods only for the next 24 hours.

I had to wait 14 weeks post op for my first fill. Don't expect the first fill to provide much restriction; this is a journey and not an event. I opted for having my band filled slowly and have no regrets.

As others have said, you are still healing, and as such you are still retaining fluids. Follow your surgeon's instructions and the weight will come off. Patience is a virtue my band has taught me...

Best wishes for your success...

Hi everyone i just got band on 01/03/13 without a fill and now that i am eating mushies i am gaining weight. I go and get a fill this sat. will that help. My starting weight was 220 and i got down to 205 and now i am back to 209. I s this normal please let me i didnt spend thousands of dollors not to lose weight. I will be PISSED!

Oh my gosh I know exactly how you feel! That is your mind though. You know that it is really mathematically impossible to not lose weight if you are eating less cal than you are burning.

What mushies are you eating? If they consist of a lot of Beans and carbs stuff that may be why but more than likely it is because you are still healing!

With each fill it will be easier to stick to your plan BUT you are in for a ride until then.

I suggest tracking your food, relaxing as much as possible, and learn to love the process no matter what phase you are in.

We are all here to encourage and support. BUT you must stick to the plan and trust your team or we will call you on it! ;) (don't over-think anything either, you will do great)

oh man thanks everyone! That is why i joined here because I know you guys would be able to help me.

I was the same way. I was so happy with the weight loss pre-op and a week post op then as soon as I was actually able to put something in my mouth that wasn't liquid. I gained 6 lbs back. It took a lot of will power and brain power to figure it out. The first couple of months I was confused, mad, and upset at myself. But after numerous calls to the nutritionist I finally got it. I'm now 24lbs down. Remember keep your head up and 1 step at a time. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

As others here wisely stated, the first 4-6 weeks post op are for healing not losing.

Now, with that said, it's still possible to get through the healing phase without gaining. From the day I got home from the hospital I started tracking my calories and Protein. Of course it was very little food at first but as I progressed to the mushies and then soft foods my calories increased. I actually found it way too easy to eat too many calories on the mushy food. The other part is, again from day 1, I never went over a cup of food per meal. Not even when I was on liquids.

It is possible to get through the healing phase without gaining but it takes considerable work.

Best wishes.

If I were to give anyone getting the lap band one suggestion I think it would be DON'T weigh yourself for the first 8 weeks after surgery! It is so up and down because of the changes in your body that you can get discouraged for no reason! We want to see fast results and for some of us that doesn't happen within this time. Know the calories you should consume, write everything down, and begin some type of exercise. After 8 weeks you WILL see some results, but there is no need to have your mind messed with on a daily basis based on the number on the scale! Stress is also a factor in being unable to lose weight, so remove that factor! Later you can weigh yourself as much as you feel comfortable, but by then even if the scale doesn't move you will not be discouraged because you will have gained faith in the band and the process! Good luck on your journey and congratulations on your commitment to a healthier you!

I agree... no weighing for at least 8 weeks. The scales make us crazy!