Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you have a PB....

When I PB, I find that I usually have to go back to the bathroom 3 or 4 times to get rid of whatever is stuck. Almost always if I just lean over or kneel down my body will heave up some of what is stuck by itself, but occasionally by the third or fourth time I am still trying to ease my discomfort, I will stick my finger down my throat in the hopes that I can finally get rid of it all.

I don't PB very often, and try to be good about chewing and eating slowly. But it happens.

Is this pretty normal for those of you that PB once in a while?? Or do you all usually get it out the first time with help?

When I PBed, sometimes it would take 3-4 times to get everything unstuck... but I never had to resort to putting my finger down my throat. (Don't even know how to do that... to be honest.)

I think this occurs because you get suck, and don't immediately realize it... or think it will pass or whatever.... so that by the time you PB, you have to first get rid of all the stuff that's backed up behind the original stuck piece.

I've only PBed once, and it took me two times. After the first time I thought it was better, the pain had lightened up, but I still didn't feel right. Pain came back about 10 minutes later and it was the wole routine all over again. After the second time I felt WAY better and was pretty sure I was done.

Never stuck my finger down my throat -- don't think I could do that.

It takes me about as many times as extra bites, lol. If I was eating slowly, 60 secs between bites, then I might have 1 extra bite. But normally, lol, I have 3-4 extra bites, so it takes 3-4 times.

I haven't stuck my finger down my throat yet, though I've considered it. But when I heave that way, it feels differently (at least in my memory). Post-op heaves feel more like hiccups/small heaves to me, so I'm scared to assist.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I PB more than I should. I've been REALLY fighting things lately. The old "I can eat anything I want" syndrome and not chewing enough. I'm my own worst enemy.

So yes....when I PB it normally takes multiple trips to get it all out. I have tried the ol' finger down the throat but to be honest....that doesn't seem to help....I can't explain why, but a full on induced vomit doesn't always dislodge the stuck thing. It's a different process than a PB.

I've found...and I probably shouldn't tell this...that drinking Water works better. It hurts like hell to add some Water on top of the stuck thing, but the water often helps get the stuck thing unstuck.

I HAAATE to PB...so you would think I would do it a lot less eh?

I'm still a work in progress. For today, my goal is go to a week with no PB and build from there...

*sigh*

Someone told me that when you have something stuck, try sipping a little bit of "pinapple juice" because something about the enzymes in it breaks down the ball of food faster. I had eaten some chicken breast too fast yesterday and had that lump (not serious PB's - but they would be coming) and drank some pineapple juice....and could hear the gurgiling and finally the lump went down!

I've heard papaya enzyme (chewed one when I was in the early PB stages and it did nothing).

I've heard meat tenderizer in warm Water (didn't want to try it - yuck)

I've heard warm Water b/c apparently it helps you open up (tried it and it just gave me that much more to bring up)

I've heard Peanut Butter because it "lubes" things (didn't try it b/c I can't imagine that being true, at least not for me)

Nothing worked for me other than some good old wretching and "presentation" of the food. Def. wasn't puking though. Too little amount, no acid... just looked like chewed food and saliva.

My Dad just said meat tenderizer is made from papaya. So that explains that!

It all sounds pretty gross, but it's not grosser than barfing, right? But first, I am going to try Water and see if works.

I'm with you, Karen, I am tired of the PBs. If it was my goal to throw up my food I wouldn't have paid so much money for the band. I would have just learned to be a bulimic :-(

Heh, going a week without a PB? At this point, I'd be happy to make it a day! I know what I have to do... I just don't seem to be willing to do it. **sigh**

I've done the Water... and a sip of flat diet coke. (For some reason, watching me pour coke from cup to cup in desperation makes Mikey laugh, lol.) Both liquids hurt like nobody's business to start with, but they seem to force it either up or down. Like the salt Water my mom used to make me drink when I was feeling ill. In 15 min you're either better or have thrown up. Either way, it shut me up! ;)

I'd take a PB over barfing any day! Not that I'm lining up to have one... barfing doesn't hurt and PB does, but if you're going to bring something up, the food/saliva combo is a lot better & a lot less in quantity IMO than food/saliva/acid.

;)

I PB too often. I agree that it can really hurt and it takes me about three to four tries to get it all out. Last night I had a really bad one and I strained so hard that I broke blood vessels on my jaw. Today it looks like I have jelly on my jaw. I'm glad no one asked what it was. I've done this before. :faint: