Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

denied medical insurance due to lap band!

This is crazy! I recently left my job to start my own business and have been shopping for individual policies because Cobra is so expensive. United Healthcare denied me coverage because of "gastric banding surgery in past five years." Here's where it gets really funny: I had the band removed in March -- which was also disclosed on the application.

If you've read any of the threads from the newly de-banded, you know that we go back to "normal" pretty quickly -- as if we never had the surgery!

Oh well, just one more reason to hate insurance companies!

I was denied individual health care coverage from 3 different companies due to being banded. It's crazy. Prior to being banded and losing weight, they denied me because I didn't fit into their height/weight chart. Now that I do fit into their height/weight charts, they deny me bacause I've had lap band surgery. You can't win for "losing."

I was denied additional life insurance by Metlife because I had lapband surgery. They said they would reevaluate my case 6 months after my surgery. They sent my letter of denial out 3 days before my 6 month bandiversy. But of course I will have to wait until January to resubmit for the additional life insurance. They had denied me 3 times in the past 12 years because of my height/weight ratio. *sigh*...just can't win for losing.

Isn't it always a catch 22 situation when it comes to insurance companies......YOUR DAMNED IF YOU DO AND YOUR DAMNED IF YOU DON"T!!! LOL guess that is when you go as a self pay and don't tell anyone and just sorta cheat the system. Wonder why they will reinsure you if you have "regular gastric bypass"? Makes no since. They will cover you after a surgery with more noted post op complications then one that has a very slim rate of post op complications!

Isn't it always a catch 22 situation when it comes to insurance companies......YOUR DAMNED IF YOU DO AND YOUR DAMNED IF YOU DON"T!!! LOL guess that is when you go as a self pay and don't tell anyone and just sorta cheat the system. Wonder why they will reinsure you if you have "regular gastric bypass"? Makes no since. They will cover you after a surgery with more noted post op complications then one that has a very slim rate of post op complications!
The 3 insurance companies that denied me coverage won't cover anyone who has had any type of WLS.

The 3 insurance companies that denied me coverage won't cover anyone who has had any type of WLS.

Hi Tricia K. ,

would you mind sharing the names of these insurance companies?

Thanks a lot. ;)

Hi Tricia K. ,

would you mind sharing the names of these insurance companies?

Thanks a lot. ;)

Certainly!

BCBS of Louisiana

Humana One

Coventry

Certainly!

BCBS of Louisiana

Humana One

Coventry

Thanks Tricia K.,

guess I don't have to apply with these three !?? :cry

There are certain types of UHC who will cover you. A fellow nurse had it done and Anthum BCBS paid for it then our insurance was switched to UHC and they continued to cover her. Even though they have it as an exclusion as part of their policy. She now is working at another hospital and not sure the insurance she has but she has never been without insurance one day since her RNY approx 4 years ago.

There are certain types of UHC who will cover you. A fellow nurse had it done and Anthum BCBS paid for it then our insurance was switched to UHC and they continued to cover her. Even though they have it as an exclusion as part of their policy. She now is working at another hospital and not sure the insurance she has but she has never been without insurance one day since her RNY approx 4 years ago.
If you work for a company that offers a group policy, they can't deny you health coverage, but may have exclusions for weight loss surgery coverage or anything related to obesity. My previous post was in reference to individual coverage.

My denial actually was from UHC.And they stated one reason, that being gastric band surgery in the past five years. (Their words.) I think it's just crazy I was denied since the band was removed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia, have you been able to find coverage?

I'm wondering if applying for a policy that's mainly for hospitalization/not medical would increase my odds?

Tricia, have you been able to find coverage?
Not individual coverage, no. But thankfully, I'm still covered by COBRA. However, it will end next February, which is around the time that we are going to try to get pregnant. I wanted the individual coverage with a pregnancy rider so that we wouldn't have to pay for the delivery/hospital/etc. out of pocket. The sad thing is that the COBRA I have now only covers me and is more than what the individual coverage (high deductible HSA) would have been for both me AND my husband. BCBS of Louisiana did say that I could re-apply after I've had the band for a year and they "may" cover me. So, this coming October, we'll apply again and see what happens.

I'm not sure about your other question. I don't even think Louisiana has that type of coverage. You may wish to call your state insurance board to find out. Good luck!

Hi all,

I am totally confused. One of the reasons I got off my butt and started my band journey was due to being denied long term nursing home/assisted living insurance-since I am morbidly obese.

I do not have insurance through my present job.

I am under my husbands insurance which is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. They will pay for the band surgery no problem. However, we pay through the nose for my coverage through his insurance (they have only 2 choices, individual or family-we don't have kids so we pay for the family which is too much).

Now after everything settles down I need to find another job for myself where I can get my own insurance through my new company.

Am I getting it right that I may be denied insurance at a new company??? holy crap

You could be denied insurance for individual coverage. But if you go out and get a job that has a group health plan, then you cannot be denied. So get a job with a company that is fairly large, with a good health plan, and everything will be fine Diva