Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can't exercise

Ok husband has had band for several years. He has struggled for sometime now. Haven't been able to go to get another fill, going in Jan and paying out of pocket. His knee keeps him from walking and doing most exercises. Any suggestions as to what to do?

when i got the band in june, i couldnt do much either. i also have bad knees and my weight made my legs hurt so i couldnt stand long or walk (very far)....so i did what i could.......and because i cant walk marathons or run/jog etc.....i mentally accepted that i had to take in less calories to counter act the physical part. if you take in more cals than you burn off, that is how i got obese. so i am doing the opposite. and now i am up to nearly 2 blocks a night walking i am still very careful of my cals. def start over with eating your allotted amounts. Protein is fuel and makes you feel full.(does me and that is all i base my posts on).

just do what you can with what you have.

Ok husband has had band for several years. He has struggled for sometime now. Haven't been able to go to get another fill, going in Jan and paying out of pocket. His knee keeps him from walking and doing most exercises. Any suggestions as to what to do?

Hi Denee,

Water exercise is great for anyone who has joint problems, no impact and you use all of your muscles with no strain. Another great exercise to do with no impact is "Chair Exercise". Another great form of exercise to get your body moving. There are wonderful videos on youtube.com to help show the level your hubby can do. Just go to www.youtube.com and type Chair Exercises. Thats it!

Best wishes,

Like above stated Water excercise is great if you have a pool you can go to. If not movement itself is movement and as he does more it will get easier. Fidget, lift legs in the chair, get some hand weights to use while sitting ( I do this now along with excercise to build my arm muscles - muscle burns fat). Also, look at his carb intake- if you can cut all carbs except for complex carbs that will help (complex carbs use more calories to digest than simple). Make sure he is getting is Protein in and Water (crystal light /propel / ect flavor packs help if he needs taste). Plus the more he drinks the more he will have to potty and he will move more.

Like my Grandpa use to say- You can always find a way if you WANT to.

Last year I couldnt even get up off the couch without pain in my knees and back. I would go to the mall with my daughter and have to sit down every couple of minutes because of the pain.

I decided to do something drastic and joined the gym. I got a personal trainer for 3 months and she helped me improve my mobility. Eventually I was able to walk for 15 min on the treadmill. Not very fast but I did it.

I signed up for another 6 months with my trainer, got banded in October and two days ago I was running on the treadmill. Again not very fast but I did it.

The gym I go to is great and put my membership on hold while I recovered from my surgery.

If you cant afford a personal trainer, just ask them at the gym what exercises would be best for you and do them on your own there. It wont be easy. Some days I left the gym in tears because of the pain. I still have times when my knee gives out but nothing like it was last year.

I walked a 5km race in May. Came in last but boy did it feel good to actually accomplish something! My goal is to run that same race next year so I am working on a modified couch to 5k program on my own.

I also think exercising in the pool is great. If you dont want to join a class just walk around in the Water. The resistance helps build up the muscles in your legs.

Let us know how you make out.

sit in a chair that is high enough from the floor that you can do leg lifts. do as many as you can without causing pain, then take a break and do the other leg. or you can do both at a time and that will help strengthen your abdominal muscles as well as the "butt". any type of exercise that you can do over normal daily activity will help boost your metabolism. you could also stand about 3 feet from a wall and place your hands on the wall about chest height and lean into the wall and push off the wall, like a push up. these would be knee friendly too. hope this helps.

All great ideas.... also, they make an arm peddal thing. it's like bike peddals only you use your arms. I've seen in in magazines and catalogs. any way to burn calories will help with weight loss.

I had a knee that really bothered me. I joined a gym and did a lot of elliptical when I'd get home at night and sit on the couch I'd gently raise my leg to put it on the foot stool. One day I pain stakingly raised my leg to gently put it on the foot stool and I was completely astonished.... i had absolutely no pain in my knee. Have no idea when it disappeard but that was a year ago and it hasn't come back.

Best of Luck!

These are great suggestions posted... but wanted to add that I lost the majority of my weight without exercising. However I also ate only 1000 calories to off set it so I would still lose. Maybe once the weight comes off hubby will be able to get around better on the knee?

There was a time I was ready to be a person that needed the cart at the grocery store. Now I can do a 8 mile walk.

when i got the band in june' date=' i couldnt do much either. i also have bad knees and my weight made my legs hurt so i couldnt stand long or walk (very far)....so i did what i could.......and because i cant walk marathons or run/jog etc.....i mentally accepted that i had to take in less calories to counter act the physical part. if you take in more cals than you burn off, that is how i got obese. so i am doing the opposite. and now i am up to nearly 2 blocks a night walking i am still very careful of my cals. def start over with eating your allotted amounts. Protein is fuel and makes you feel full.(does me and that is all i base my posts on).

just do what you can with what you have.[/quote']

Great post!

i just got my band tuesday dec 4 2012 so exerciseing is going too be soon for me