Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is normal eating after a few fills?

Hi,

I've had 4 fills & it's about 6 months after surgery. My problem is that I don't feel anything. I've never been sick nor close to it. I am losing weight because I am trying to lose weight. But when I have wanted, I can eat anything & as much as I used to. My friend says she can't drink Water with meals because the water would regurgitate. I can gulp a glass with no problem. She can't drink carbonated beverages because they also don't stay down. I don't drink sugar drinks because I don't want to gain weight but I am able to & I drink carbonated diet soda with no problem. When I mention this to my surgeon during fills he says my weight loss is going well. Of course because I'm dieting but I've been dieting my entire adult life & it only lasts so long. Then I gain it back. This month after the 4th fill I've gained at least 4 pounds. I have lost 1 or 2 since. But there has been only a net of 4 pounds lost in the past 2 months. I've heard people say they can't eat bread or certain greens such as spinach. Hey, bring it on. Everything goes down without a problem. Could the Doc have made a mistake? This seems like way too much money paid to not have any help like vomiting. I hate vomiting & if I ever did, I'd never eat that food or portion again. Is this normal after 6 months & 4 fills?

Only your doctor can answer this question. Keep at him until you are satisfied that he has heard you and given you an answer you understand.

Four fills and how many cc's?..whats your band size? I have 4Cc'sin a 10cc band and I feel it!! Sounds like you should feel something..i didnt get the band to be on a diet..i did it to be satisfied with less food..and its working!..you should check with your doc..maybe you have a leak or need more cc's..its hard to say but I would think you should feel something by now..

Everyone is different, you need to be patient, and good things will come. Please do not think vomiting is going to help you, it could hurt you and cause slippage and another surgery to remove the band. If your surgeon is happy, keep on that track. You say you have had 4 fills, but each surgeon fills differently. I only get 1cc per fill and I have read that others got 5cc's on their first fill..........I have read that it has taken people 6-8 months and as many fills to feel restriction, everyone is different, so don't compare yourself to your friend.

I need to make an appt. I have no idea how big my band is or how much my Doc puts in each time but after my fourth fill about a month ago I gained about 3lbs. This month. I have never felt any restriction since my surgery back in June. I have lost 30 lbs. but that is by dieting & I can diet for a few months but then I always give up & regain the weight. I hate having to be assertive with a Doc but he doesn't respond when I tell him this. And he is one of the top Docs for bariatric surgery & teaches new procedures, etc.

I was banded on 2/2/12 and I am just know getting to the point where I feel "restriction" that works. I have had so many fills I lost count. Don't give up. It will work if you want it to. Just be consistant, keep getting your fills, watch what you eat and it will work. I am almost at 45lbs and I look it.

I could have written exactly what you wrote. I had the same experience...until recently. I told my surgeon that I felt absolutely no restriction; that I could eat anything I wanted to and as much as I wanted to. I told him the only reason I was losing weight was because it was "mind over matter" (i.e. I told him I was "dieting" and it had absolutely nothing to do with the band and if it didn't start working, I was going to gain the weight back since I was doing it all myself anyway). Then I went for my 5th fill. (I'm 6 1/2 months out, with 4.75 in a 10cc band).

Let me tell you, once you get a fill that makes a difference, everything will start making sense. Before this 5th fill, I could eat anything and everything like I said before. Then "boom." Now I have to really pay attention to all the golden rules, including eating slow, tiny forkfulls, chewing completely and so forth. In fact, I just now started taking the Vitamins because before now, there really was no substantial change in my diet as it related to not being able to get enough of the right Vitamins.< /p>

But, again, back to you, seriously, one day you're going to get a fill and it's all going to come around, full circle. You'll see why there are all the golden rules, you'll have restriction, and you'll "get" how the band works. I swear, until that point, I felt no different and thought the whole thing was a farce.

Just keep my post in mind. I promise, it will come together one day. The light will go on and you and the band will begin to work together!I I think this just takes/took a little more patience than anyone ever informed us.

Good luck to you.