Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! Day 6 Post-Banding

I'm sorry I didn't mean to worry you. If you have lost fifteen pound I'm sure that you are doing ok placement wise. I think everyone's body reacts differently. I have a very sensitive stomach anyway, so my stomach is responding to the trauma of surgery very sensitively. I know I have watched numerous YouTube videos of people saying that they had no restriction and were quite hungry just after surgery. Honestly I would like to feel a little more normal at this point. Maybe your body is just better at healing and reducing swelling on its own. I wouldn't worry yet. When is your first post op appointment?

Bloated and healing to some takes a long time. Your drinking Water, juices or Protein drinks will be working soon. Clear broths will taste great, add a bit of diced onion. Look for some low fat Cream Soups. Non Fat greek yogurt and in small amounts while you continue to heal.

Best wishes

Stick to what your physican told you to drink. Rules are so key to follow in the early days, it pays off.

My follow up is tomorrow. I am laying here with an ice pack on my left side...that is where the pain is the worst, but there is a knot there. Could that be the port? Maybe I am just experiencing pain where the port was placed. I am supposed to start the full liquids by now and I am happy for that. Maybe some of the creamier Soups will be more filling and that will curb my appetite some.

I was also banded on Nov 8. Im so sick of liquids' date=' i could scream! And i also feel very bloated. My stomach is still tender and im having shoulder and upper back pain this evening. Ugh...i sure hope this passes soon and i start to feel normal soon. Its super hard for me to get any Water down too. It goes down ok, it just feels like im full ALL of the time, but i also feel hungry at the same time. Does that make sense to anyone?[/quote']

Did you have a hernia repair? My dr said that the upper back pain is caused from the healing of the hernia repair. I feel like Chuck Norris gave be a roundabout kick to the back at times, especially when I overdo it.

I am really excited about being here. I hope to find a lot of support. I was banded on Thurs Nov 8th. I am having some complications. My stomach is tender' date=' I can't lay down, and I am hungry! But, I am going to fight through this. I understand that I may not feel any restriction with the band until the 3rd fill. I am trying hard to stick with the clear/full liquids. I cheated a little this morning with a couple of bites of pudding and a couple of bites of potato salad, with chunks. I did not "feel" any problems with the potato chunks....so far. Maybe I could try blending potato salad in a blender with a tiny bit of milk to make it soupy? Just a thought. I have to find way to curb this hunger until I get fills that work. Anyone else have problems with being hungry less than a week after banding?[/quote']

Hungry is an understatement! I was banded Oct 5 and I was starving until my first fill. Now I'm just hungry. Hang in there, this too shall pass!

I spaced my meals/intake out so I didn't get as hungry.

Stick to the program. don't allow your mind the chance to veer off track so early on, it sets a precedent.

As for the blended potato salad, better to boil a plain potato and Water it down with ff milk than potato salad. Better yet would be ff refried Beans (potatoes turn to sugar in the body). HOWEVER, if you are not at that stage yet don't do either. Stick to your program.

Muscle milk and mashed potatoes got me rhtough. Make ur taters with garlic n chicken broth. Make them somewhat runny n eat with baby spoon. You get full so fast.

Hello all,

I am brand new to the band. I was banded this morning. I struggled last night, but I made it through. When I arrived at the surgicenter this morning. I was dehydrated and after surgery I was really dehydrated. Overall I am doing well. Sipping on chicken broth and drinking Water. My mom purchased me some sugar free popsicles. I am going to do my best to follow the rules. I wish you all well.

I am feeling paranoid and worried. Tomorrow is full liquids. Should I just drink the Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes?

When you're allowed to have full liquids, drink the liquids that are on your surgeon's/dietitians approved list. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just because you feel like you don't have a band doesn't mean it's not in there, trying to settle into position against your stomach while your stomach heals from being sutured. Do your absolute best to follow your post-op eating/drinking instructions. One of the most common causes of band slips is the failure to follow the post-op eating progression. When you eat food of any description, your stomach automatically expands and contracts to break it down into small enough pieces to be handled by your intestines. The expansion and contraction can disturb your sutures.

I know the liquid diet seems endless to you now, but in the long view (assuming you have another 3000 weeks ahead of you to live), it's very short-lived.

I was banded yesterday! I'm doing great I am eating Italian ice and juice and broth! The gas from the surgery is the worst part!!

Pre-op 275.9lbs -surgery 10/5 265.0lbs -11/11/12 241.8lbs

I was banded yesterday! I'm doing great I am eating Italian ice and juice and broth! The gas from the surgery is the worst part!!

Congrats on your new journey! Did anyone tell you about the gas? The " discomfort" of it?

I think we should have been warned! If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have even known about gasX and heating pads and I only joined 8 days before surgery so I barely knew then!

I had my band on the 14th. I only had to do clear liquids for 3 days. I am now on full liquids.. Cream of wheat with extra Water is my new best friend. It is very satisfying and keeps me satisfied for 4-5 hours..

Welcome!

Congrats!

You said you might not feel enough restriction until third fill. I just wanted you to know there are those who never need a fill or feel right after the first or second fill. Focus on how you eat and how you feel. We all have the same goal but we also have different experiences as well. Best of luck to you.