Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick and Tired

:help: :sick :angry :think :cry :phanvan This has got to be the worse flu season EVER. I have been non-stop sick since late November. I get over it for a couple of days and then it hits me again. And not a sniffle, little bit of cough and sneezes but like today, my throat is so swollen, I can't even swallow, drink, eat and barely talk. I am freezing and all I want to do is go sit in a hot bath and pass out.

I went to go get some bread for my boss at the local bakery he likes before lunch and I sat in my car with full heater on and fell asleep for 15 minutes! I've been on evvery antibiotic, penicillin, had two bouts of eye infections...I'm just done with it.

My sister thinks that my immune system is being affected by the band. And I can't argue with my psycho doctor and the way he is. My boss makes really healthy food everyday, usually grilled chicken with steamed veggies or a salad and a lite vinagrette or mahi tuna salad with a nut bread. Veggies have always been hard for me to digest but I figured that if I have something sitting in my pouch all afternoon, I won't feel hungry and snack. I've been on a plateau for awhile and have 2 fills scheduled but have had to reschedule due to illness. My doctor tells me not to eat veggies, not to eat grilled chicken. He wants me to go to McDonalds and get an egg McMuffin for Breakfast and take three bites of it so that will keep me full. For lunch, he wants me to go to Subway to get a sandwich with untoasted bread and eat three bites until I'm full. I asked him what about veggies? He siad, they have lettuce on the sandwich right? I asked him if this was supposed to be the way I eat for the rest of my life, which seems stupid because these are the habits that got me here in the first place. He said, Yes, and that fat people don't know how to control their food well enough to try to relearn how to eat. I couldn't believe that my lap band surgeon would say such a thing to my face. He sits there and tells me I'm one of the most successful of his patients and then turns around and lectures me about how bad I"m eating when I thought I was making strides in the right direction. He only has about 2-3 office hours a week and expects me to take a half day off every 6 weeks to go see him. Whatever. I am feeling so down right now and my health has only compounded it all.

Forgive me for ranting. I'm just so sick and tired, you know?

I'm so sorry you've been sick for so long. Your doctor sounds like a nut case. What doctor would tell his patient to eat like that? Besides, you must be doing something right to have lost 113 lbs. Spring is on the way, hopefully the change in weather will make you feel better. I've been sick all winter with my Asthma, it got so bad I ended up in the hospital for 11 days. Can you take any time off to take care of your health? I hope you feel better soon

Roberta

melissa--your dr., pardon me, sounds like a dork! it sounds like you are trying all the RIGHT things---HE sounds like he wants to sabotage you--

like you have no mind of your own!! i feel so sorry for you--so many illnesses in a row---i read somewhere last year that some people felt like their immune system WAS compromised by the band. i know NOTHING about it, but this is not the 1st time i have heard it. maybe somewhere in internet -land you can get more info. i hope you feel better soon. HUGS**

Hi Melissa --

Your immune system is not compromised because of the band. Your immune system is compromised because of the low calorie intake needed for weight loss. Let's face it, most people need more than 1000-1200 calories a day to sustain life. Anything less than that depletes our nutritent stores, promotes weight loss, and decreases (weaker) immune system. I would suggest that you make sure you are getting your multi-Vitamin every day. You might want to take some chewable Vitamin C as well. You may also want to consider some natural remedies like echinacea.

That's my 2 cents!

Melissa Lea

Sorry you have been sick, but it is not from the band. The problem is the weight loss and your body trying to get use to that. My Dr. tells me to eat mostly Protein and yes grilled chicken. I would not go to McDonalds or subway. I eat mostly protein and will take a bite or two of salad or baked potato. You still need to eat healthy. You may even want to try a Protein Shake fro breakfast, a low carb like Adkins there pretty good. Get some Vitamins and hang in there!

Sorry you're so sick, that sounds just horrible. I've woken up with a sore throat this morning and am being a real baby about it.

Your doctor sounds completely mental to me. McDonalds and Subway?

The only think I'd agree with him is that I find a sandwich for lunch helps my weight loss. If I eat a salad or something lighter, I'm picky all afternoon, just not satisfied, a sandwich I can eat half of leaves me stuffed and not even thinking about food till dinner. But not Subway, I make it with salad ingredients, Protein like tuna or chicken and good quality wholemeal bread!

As to your immune system, well losing a lot of weight may leave you a little more vulnerable, just make sure you're taking your Vitamins and you'll probably get over this little bout of being sick all the time.

If your immune system is down I have had simular problems and i found a solution candida is in our bodies which is basically yeast,.....and your body is always fighting it constantly.....so it cant fight off other sicknesses, so my advice would be to go to a holistic doctor and ask for a prescription of anti-fungal medicine take one like every other day when the candida is killed out you will feel 100 times better atleast i did, and for some reason fat people have more candida...lol a holistic doctor can help with this , "natural doctor"

WHAT??????? "fat people don't know how to control their food well enough to try to relearn how to eat. " WHAT?????????

Did you hit him?

I'm so sorry you've been so sick. I don't think your band is making you sick, I think you are probably depleted, and need to take a break and build up your reservers. You didn't say how many calories you are getting in a day, but it should be more. You are not getting enough calories in to fight off the bugs.

And don't listen to his diet advice. He's a surgeon not a nutritionist, obviously. You need fresh veggies and wholesome ingreedients, someting you won't find at McDondalds. A sandwich for lunch isn't a bad idea, if you can handle the bread. Some bandsters can, most cannot.

There are a lot of good low carb 6 in. subs at Subway. Just look at that Jared and all the weight he lost on Subway. I'm not saying make it a daily thing, but a good 6 in. sub with lots of Protein and no carbs wouldn't hurt once in awhile. I think we sabbotage our eating, not the band. I don't think the band can hurt your immune system. I think it has to be about what we choose to eat.

So sorry you haven't been feeling well. Have you had some blood work run? That would tell them how your immune system is doing and a lot of other things. Even a bladder infection can make you feel really run down. Take care of yourself....and maybe think about another doctor.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I realize that the band itself is not affecting my immune system but rather the lack of food intake. I'm just frustrated because I am usually a pretty healthy person and can stave off all the typical winter bugs, even with a germ ridden 5 year old running around! I think it's just finally gotten to me and it's bringing me down mentally, not just physically.

I do try to eat a sandwich every now and then as my boss likes to make fresh tuna salads on toasted nut bread and not only do they taste wonderful, they fill me up for the rest of the afternoon after only half on one.

I am supposed to be going in for another fill on Friday because I've only lost maybe 10 pounds in the last 6 months or so and my surgeon thinks I need an adjustment. My fear is will that only comprimise my immune system even more with less food intake?

I feel bad enough as it is as I haven't even eaten in almost 2 whole days and I'm sitting here staring down the most delicious tuna and egg salad and I can't even swallow it. Ugh.

melissalee: i am in the early stages of taking the steps necessary to get the band... so i am new, but i have to say, "yikes! girlfriend, you need to find another doctor!" you are going to require a lap-band doctor for the rest of your life (or life of the lap-band in you)... do you really think this is the right guy? you need someone who is totally supportive and able to provide you with correct information. this clown doesn't deserve you as his patient! you owe it to yourself to find a doctor who will nurture you... not someone who stresses you out and ultimately sabotages your progress. you deserve better! require only the best for yourself!

and, by the way, i think i have the same cold or whatever the heck this is... may we both be over it soon!

maria k in San Diego

I have auto immune deficiency. Although there are many theories that the band can cause your body to reject it, your symptoms don't sound like an immune problem. When you have an immune problem you also have memory loss, confusion, staggered walking, extreme tiredness, lack of refreshing sleep, etc. In my opinion you have a infection that you haven't been able to fight off. I wouldn't get a fill on Friday. In fact, most of the posts on this board lead me to believe in cases of sickness some get them unfilled to allow for increased Protein, etc so they can fight the infection. I would try to build up your system and a few days of doing nothing will help. If you can, take some time off of work at get some rest, take Vitamins, increase your protein, and eat yogurt. Yogurt puts some of the good bacteria back in your system. That's my 2cents. Hope it helps.

Hey Girl,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I am a coordinator for two lap-band surgeons and am have been banded almost 6 months. It sounds to me like you have a much better idea of how to eat than your doctor does. The most important aspect of your calories to intake is PROTEIN! Veggies are included on the menu, though. I like you do not digest them real well, so I don't eat that many.

My recommendation (for what it is worth) is that you find yourself a good band-friendly internist. You have something going on that has not been completly treated. You need a full work-up, beging with basic lab and if its normal some more specific labs. Then on from there.

As far as your band surgeon goes - they don't all have the right idea. But what can you do? You need him for fills. Some band surgeons will see other band surgeon's patients and some will not. If you can find one that you are more comfortable with, go for it! If not see him for your fill and do what you know if right for your body.

Hey - if there is anything I can help with let me know! The medical field can be very challenging to navigate for patients. I hate that!

Hope this helps. Good luck and I hope you are feeling 100% soon!

:biggrin1:

Hey Melissa,

My family has suffered in the same way. We started on a nutritional supplement called Ambertose. It is comprised of the essential sugars our body needs. It is made by a company called Mannatech. It has made an INCREDIBLE difference in my health. I haven't been to the Dr. for antibotics in over a year. My 3 kids who lived at the Dr. office Nov-May have only been maybe once. You will have to go on-line and find a dealer in your area. (That sounds bad...but they are not "drug" dealers =} ) If you'd like email me and I will have my dealer hook you up with a dealer, I think they are called associates. Ambertose is kind of expensive, but your health is worth it.

Please keep us informed of how you are doing!

A friend of mine gave me excellent advice. She said "now that you're eating so little, make sure everything you eat is as nutrient-dense as possible." Those words really stuck with me. Vitamins, minerals, and amino acids fight off bacteria, viruses and infections. Without essential nutrients, our body's immune defenses are way down, leaving us vulnerable to attack. Mcdonald's and Subway do not serve nutrient-dense foods. The foods they serve are laden with preservatives, salt, and fat (even the "healthy" things like low-carb wraps are laden with preservatives). I agree with everyone who suggested a holistic approach here. An anti-candida regimine is always a good thing as well as nutritional supplements. I would start with a high-quality Multi-Vitamin from a trusted shop like GNC or Vitamin shop, and then add in flax oil, garlic, immune-enhancing herbs, and probioitics. Along with that, switch to organic foods and eat well-balanced meals. Try a vegetable supplement "green" powder in your drinks to ensure you're getting your veggies in too. Diet is very powerful when it comes to health so don't overlook its power. Keep us posted!