Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Men - don't read, it's about my period :)

Ok, so ever since I got banded my periods have been off schedule. I didn't have one for 3 1/2 months, then I bled for a weel, then like 2 weeks later I bled for like 3 weeks, then another month went by and not I'm having a period that seems to be on schedule (as in it's occuring one month from the last one) but all these periods have been SO SO SO heavy and SO much longer than pre-band (pre-band I was average flow for 4 days). So, what is going on? Is there still build-up from when I missed a few periods? I'm so tired of it! I've had this period for 5 days now and it is so heavy that it is waking me up in the middle of the night.

Also, while I'm bitching and moaning, I haven't lost any weight in like 4-5 weeks. Just thought I'd throw a complaint in there too!

I am no expert, but it really does not sound like something caused by the band, even though you have only noticed it after getting the band. Maybe some kind of hormone shift relating to the operation/ weight loss brought whatever this is on. It does sound sort of like the onset of menopause, but there are other things for sure that cause irregular periods. Have you scheduled an appt with a OBGYN?

Treat this like you would if you did not have the band. We just talked about this on another thread. Your peroids should have nothing to do with your band.

We were wondering if every time something goes wrong now or hurts if we will blame the band.

My advice is to call your genocologist.

Wishing you great health and steady weight loss.

I have read alot of accounts on here of women's periods being affected by the band. Most say they skip several months after surgery and then bleed heavily. If you do a search you should find some relevant threads. I would say, though, that if it doesn't clear up in the next month, to call your gyn.

ack that sounds like me - I was diagnosed last March with Endometriosis and Adenomyosis; along with uterine polyps, and had those same symptoms.

you can click on one of the links, or go to www.mayoclinic.com and look these up. I thought no way would I have Endo, but I did and explained alot of my symptoms I had for years.

mayo has other female probls there also, always good when there are changes to check with your GYN if it last past a couple of months.

Seems like I've read a lot of posts about periods being out of whack following surgery. It seems reasonable, sinc e this is a major surgery and surgery of any kind is a trauma to your body. If you're really worried, I'd call your gynecologist...otherwise give it a couple more months and see if it doesn't stablize.

Emily

My gyn said that sometimes with weight loss you periods will be a bit erratic (estrogen in fat cells). However, she said if I began menstrating too often or too heavy to give her a call.

I think it's time to give your gyn. a call!! Good luck.

Shawn

I wrote about this a few weeks ago. I am 20 years older than you, but have been very regular, on time, & have not missed my period since I had my boys 23 & 19 years ago. I was banded in Oct. 05 & everything was going along as usual & in Jan. my hair started falling out. In Feb I missed my period & I set on a plateu for 3 weeks. Come March my hair was coming out by the fist full & still no period. Talked to a friend who is a Dr specializing in Hormones & menopause. She ordered several test through my reg Dr. (Hormone levels, menopause & throid). Everything came back normal, so both Docs felt that the fast weight lose (70lbs in 5mos) caused the estrogen to drop & the testosterone to rise causing the lose of hair & period. They sent me to my Gyno to be on the safe side. She agreed with the other 2 Docs but give me meds. to induce my period if it does not come after 3mons. 2weeks later it did come, & it was so heavy on the 3rd day I contacted my Gyno because I thought I was bleeding to death. She wanted me to go into the ER if it didn't slow down by the 4th day. Fortunately it was normal for the next 3 days & then it just stopped.

So far the hair lose is still above normal but it is better. It really freeked me out but I can handle it as long I get to where I want to be. You may want to visit with your Dr to be on the safe side everyone's body is different. Good luck to you. Sharing info & experiences really does help us get through the tough & strange times.

Kim

I had my PS 3 weeks ago. I had my period 2 weeks before it. My periods have always been like clockwork. Well the day after surgery they arrived and I have had them ever since. I stopped for a day a few days ago but the next day they were back. My Dr said it is the body's way of dealing with the trauma of surgery. You will get back on routine once the bleeding stops. If it doesnt stop or gets really heavy and clotty (TMI)...call your Dr because there is some tablets they can give you to stop thebleeding. Just make sure you keep an eye on your Iron levels while you are bleeding so much.