Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 40-50 To Lose

Hi I have my very first appt with my kaiser Dr. This thurs about the lap band...I'm worried he won't give me the referral to get it done since I'm not considerd extremely obese. I don't have 100 lbs to lose and the only health problem I have is bladder control issues which is a combo of having kids and weight....this is somethng I've always wanted I've tried everything in the book like I'm sure all of you've had. Spent hundreds prob thousands throughout my life on diet everything...I work out 3-4 xs a wk. I'm very active and know the right thing to eat but I have portion issues..I haven't been able to lose this weight and need help...I'm depressed at this weight and really want this...however I don't think hell approve due to not being "heavy enough"...I've even considerd gaining weight just to be approved! I know that's a crazy phsyco thing to do and I wouldnt really do that but sometimes I feel desperate...am I wrong for wanting it done with that much to lose?

First, please fill out your profile so we can better help you.

It would all depend on your current BMI. 40-50 pounds for a 5'10 woman may not mean a higher BMI but 40-50 pounds for a 5'2 woman can be a huge difference.

I agree w/Mis...

I am 5'1 and my BMI was over 30... I had 50 lbs to lose, so I was considered "obese".

I was self pay, however due to no health issues.

Best of luck to you!!!

If you've tried everything in dieting and that hasn't worked you may need to look more in to your hormones? Cortisol levels? Thyroid? I made sure to look in to all of those issues before considering WLS. Have you been able to lose weight before?

I know for myself one thing that worked AMAZINGLY was intermittent fasting, which eventually showed my doctor that I my body naturally survives on a low calorie count - in turn that made me re-consider getting WLS for the sake of turning a low calorie survival into a life style.

I suggest ruling out any other possible issues that could keep you from losing weight, and also finding out what speaks to your body so that it DOES lose weight - then consider the WLS.

Thnx guys and sorry I am 5ft 5...and weigh 180 lbs and 31 yrs old...I jus had thyroid checked and thyroid is good...cholesterol is a lil high......I love to cook so that's a problem for me and I tend to eat at night while watchin tv....I think its more emotional eating at this point...eating for comfort.....I have indeed been able to lose before....I lost 50 lbs at one point and kept it off for six..then the last two yrs I slowly gained 30 of it back...

Ooh and my bmi is 29.9.....or borderline almost 30.....

Most insurances won't approve unless your BMI is 35 with co-morbidities, or 40+. It's a sticky situation, my BMI was 36 when I started the process then I got Strep Throat and right before seeing the surgeon to submit my numbers, lost 11 lbs and my BMI was too low for approval. I had to post-pone by appt for two weeks and gain a few pounds.

If your doctor doesn't think you're a candidate, I would get a second opinion and consider what both docs say.

When I just plugged your numbers into a BMI calculator it came up at 30, which is obese, and does fit in the range for Lap Band. I'm not sure if you're self pay or looking for insurance coverage, however I do know for what they consider a "lower" BMI most insurance companies look for two co-morbidities.

It's a big decision. There's two different aspects I'd look at this from:

First, being as your BMI is in the obese range, you're smart to be trying to tackle your weight problem before you wake up one morning in the morbidly obese range. Personally, I wish I'd done something years before I finally did.

The second part is, you need to realize that while Lap Band is a great tool it's just a tool. You mention emotional eating and nighttime eating as being your problem. Unfortunately the band won't fix either problem. The band is meant to satiate hunger with less food for longer periods of time, satiate meaning no longer hungry. It won't stop you from eating and it won't fix your brain. It's something a lot of us with bands struggle with. So, if you do decide to go forward with the band, I would also suggest counseling as well to help fix the problems the band can't.

Lastly, do your homework before making a decision. Reading these forums is great for anecdotal evidence and real life experiences but do the medical research as well. It's a life changing decision and educating yourself to the facts is crucial to make a good one.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

My doctor based his approval on my BMI, not my weight. I am now half way through the (required by insurance) nutrition classes. I am bummed I have to go through the classes, but certainly understand why they require them. I am looking at surgery after the first of the year.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys!......I'm anxious to find out if my Dr.s goin to give me the referral

Not to be a big downer, but I have to add this. When I told my bro in law (a doctor) that I was having wls he was very unsupportive. He really pressed me on the complications. About a month after my surgery he told me why. He knew 2 nurses who had the surgery that died. One from infection a week post surgery, and the other died on the table. I tell you this only to reenforce that it is still abdominal surgery, with all the risks that go with it. Would it have changed my mind had I known that, probably not- I did it because I had 100 lbs to lose, and my body did not like my weight (hbp, cholesterol). If I had 50 to lose I might have looked a little more carefully about other solutions. I say this not to discourage you, but so you are informed.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!