Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect at various appointments

Hi All,

First off, I love this site and am so glad I found it. :) All of you here offer such wonderful advice and provide great inspiration to those of us just starting this process.

I am going to be self-pay, so I don't have to jump through all the insurance hoops, thank goodness. Tomorrow I go for my psych. eval. and on Wednesday I meet with the nutritionist. After that, I will be meeting with the doctor. I am just wondering what kind of things they are going to be asking, looking at, etc.? My BMI is 45, I have back problems, bone spurs, borderline diabetes all related to my weight, so I am confident I am a good candidate.

Thanks.

Susan - Welcome! This board is a great resource... I've really enjoyed my visits here and it keeps me on track. I was also self-pay... it was hard to part with that much money but I felt it was the right decision. I hope I wasn't wrong!

Hi Susan,

My psyche appointment was a half hour conversation where we talked about whether I was mentally prepared to make lifestyle changes. She also gave me a very short verbal quiz with some really simple questions. I'm sorry that I can't remember more... I know there are some people on here who have talked about taking a long written quiz. You may want to search for psyche eval and see what pops up.

The nutritionist appointment was a breeze (I almost wrote piece of cake!). We talked about the various food stages (liquids, mushies, etc) and proper portion sizes. She also talked a lot about Protein and getting in Water.

I hope this helps! Congratulations on starting the journey to bandland. :D

Hello to yet another Susan, from a Susan. :D

I was self pay as well, and still had to go through all of the pre-tests including a $3,600 sleep study and a $1,500 CPAP machine.

My psyche eval was about 3 hours long. It involved answering tons of questions on a computer and a one on one discussion with the psychologist. After all of that, he determined that I was deeply depressed and wasn't a good candidate for banding until I had some counselling. Well, I fell apart and begged him not to take away my only chance to get out of the misery I was in. He agreed to restest me in two weeks, after I had been on anti-depressants for a full six weeks. I went back and even though I was still depressed, I was much better. Amazing what two weeks can do. So I was approved.

The nutritionist was an hour long meeting with a gal who asked what my goals for weightloss were. I had to bring in a journal of everything I'd eaten the last few days. She went through each meal, asking what I thought I could have done to make better choices. I had to fight not to laugh at her. Duh! Anyway, I let her think she was teaching me something, and then she talked about the pre op diet and the post op diet. That was it. I think she was looking for a realistic attitude from me. She wanted to see that I wasn't expecting to loose weight too quickly, and that I understood I'd have to make good choices in order to succeed with the band.

Long winded as usual. Sorry to run on. Hope it helped you somehow. Best of luck to you.

Hello to yet another Susan, from a Susan. :D

I was self pay as well, and still had to go through all of the pre-tests including a $3,600 sleep study and a $1,500 CPAP machine.

My psyche eval was about 3 hours long. It involved answering tons of questions on a computer and a one on one discussion with the psychologist. After all of that, he determined that I was deeply depressed and wasn't a good candidate for banding until I had some counselling. Well, I fell apart and begged him not to take away my only chance to get out of the misery I was in. He agreed to restest me in two weeks, after I had been on anti-depressants for a full six weeks. I went back and even though I was still depressed, I was much better. Amazing what two weeks can do. So I was approved.

The nutritionist was an hour long meeting with a gal who asked what my goals for weightloss were. I had to bring in a journal of everything I'd eaten the last few days. She went through each meal, asking what I thought I could have done to make better choices. I had to fight not to laugh at her. Duh! Anyway, I let her think she was teaching me something, and then she talked about the pre op diet and the post op diet. That was it. I think she was looking for a realistic attitude from me. She wanted to see that I wasn't expecting to loose weight too quickly, and that I understood I'd have to make good choices in order to succeed with the band.

Long winded as usual. Sorry to run on. Hope it helped you somehow. Best of luck to you.

Wow P'nut that's a lot of stuff! I just went to the surgery group seminar, next filled out a bunch of paperwork, they determined I was self-pay so I met with the surgeon he said I was good to go so they scheduled me for pre-op testing. It was all on one day and we did it kind of in a group. i got to meet the others I'd be having surgery with. We had the barium swallow, chest X-ray, EKG, and then lunch together. After lunch with met with the nurse, then dietian (she really just explained the pre-op & post op diet) and then the exercise psylogist. We got weighed and measured and body fat analysis. That was Friday and I had my surgery a week and three days later.

*laughs* Yeah, well I didn't mention the $780+ worth of blood tests, the EKG, and the appointment with the Pulminologist! My surgeon is either thorough or in league with all of these other folks and they are making a fortune!

Susan, I just did my psychological evaluation on Friday. Like Susan I had to answer hundreds of questions. ( I still don't hear anyone talking to me when know one is around!) they ask that many times in the questions. It went really well. It lasted about two hrs. The Dr. was very nice. Next Monday I meet with the Nutritionist. Oh Friday I meet with the cardiologist. Today was the Pulmonary Dr. I am very thank full that they are doing all these test. So far I am very healthy. I too am self pay. I am lucky that all these appointment I have had have been ran through my insurance. I am glad for that. Good luck tomorrow. My surgery date is May 4th.. Can't wait!!!!!

I had to go to:

• Surgeon for pre-op consultation and picking a surgery date. It took about 20 mins.
  • Dietician, going over the pre- and post-op eating plans in detail. It took about 1.5 hours.
  • Pre-op education class, walkthrough of the surgery itself in detail, demo band, placement details, answering any questions. It took about an hour.
  • Pre-op psych. appointments, to determine mylikelihood of working with the band, ensuring realistic expectations, determining causes for current obesity, considering what has to be done to ensure those causes are at minimal risk for strinking back. Each visit was scheduled for an hour, I had three pre-op appointments, and am scheduled for another at 6 weeks post-op.
  • PATs: bloodwork, chest x-ray, EKG

I had a lot more pre-ops than a lot of others, but my surgeon works with a comprehensive program. I've actually had many fewer post-ops than some of his other patients I've read the journals of on other sites.

For those of you who did blood labwork in the pre-op testing before surgery, was it fasting bloodwork? I know when I go to my PCP for my bloodwork there it is always fasting. I've emailed one of the nurses at my surgeon's office, but I haven't heard back yet.

Just curious and I don't want to screw anything up.

Audra

I wasn't self pay, but I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to make the insurance company happy. I had to go to 4 appointments with the psychologist. I also had to do the 2 hour questions. At the end, she said that I was stable, but deeply depressed (no duh!) then she kept questioning whether I was suicidal!!! I thought for sure she was going to blow it for me. But everything went well. My pre admission test blood work was fasting.

Audra, Yep I just had mine done yesterday and I had to fast. I swear they took so much blood out of me, Seems my Dr. is very thorough. I still have to do a 24 hr urine test. So I have seen a psychologist, Cardiologist, Internist, Nutritionist,Philologist. Plus weekly weigh in.. Good luck and keep us up to date on your.

Cashley:

Where and when were you banded? Yours sounded like it was pretty straight forward and not too much red tape - just curious!

Thanks!

Picardy:

Fasting bloodwork is when you've had nothing to eat for the X number of hours beforehand.

X is usually 12 - but could be less. You'll have to ask you Dr.

Cashley:

Where and when were you banded? Yours sounded like it was pretty straight forward and not too much red tape - just curious!

Thanks!

I was banded in Louisville, KY by Dr. Lusco. I have friends that I have used him. For self-pay he was very easy, he's nice and said there isn't any since in jumping though all those hoops since we didn't need insurance to pay. I didn't have to do psych. or a sleep test (like another place here in louisville requires).

Wow, thanks for all the great information, I love this site!

I had my psych. eval. today. It lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. I didn't have to take any type of quiz. We basically just sat down and talked. She wanted to about my history of my weight, how I handle stress, my ability to cope with change, etc. She also was very interested in my support system and how much I knew about the surgery and that I had been looking into it for awhile as opposed to have just making a quick decision without putting much thought into it. When all was said and done, she said I am an excellent candidate and she is definitely going to recommend that I am ready to do this. Whew, that was great news.

Tomorrow I meet with the nutritionist and after that, the doctor. I can't wait, I am so ready for this.