Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Some Fellow Bandsters Opinions!

Hey everybody! Not sure if you need some background info to answer this question or not, but I'll give it just in case. I'm 20, been banded since February, and I've lost 75 pounds. I just had another fill a week ago and I believe I'm in the green zone now.

Now, the question.

I'm a freak about watching my sugar. I don't eat stuff that has much sugar in it at all because, well I'm afraid to ha ha.

But I decided that I want to start drinking shakes for some of my meals as I don't normally do that. So I bought this little Blender Bottle and some SlimFast powder that you mix with fat free milk. Without the milk, the powder has 10g sugar per serving. With milk, it's 22g sugar per shake.

That seems like A LOT of sugar to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and I haven't made a shake with he stuff yet, because I'm afraid it's too much sugar.

So I guess my question is: Is that too much sugar, in your opinion? Is there another shake that you would recommend? (Something I could buy at a store vs online is preferred, but will consider online too. And college student budget friendly would be nice ha ha ; ))

Thanks for your feedback on this!

Slimfast does have alot of sugar. I like Body Fortress Super Advanced whey Protein Powder. 2g of sugar, 26g of Protein. I get it at Walmart but I've seen it in the grocery stores too.

Calorie counting worked for me... so while I didnt add in any shakes if you want to just make sure they dont put you over your alloted calorie intake or the day. I lost my weight eating 1000 calories a day so there wasnt much room for shakes.< /p>

As for sugar... I use sugar free whatever I can and figure the rest of it will work out. Sticking to a low calorie mael plan doesnt leave much room for sugar either.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies! I work in the vision center of a Walmart so I'll check that out!

And I calorie count on my fitness pal app on my iPhone and I'm never more than 1,000 calories so that part is good. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I'm not sure if there's a costco by you, but they do have their premier shakes ready to go and it only has 1g of sugar, 30g of Protein and 160cal per shake....oh and they taste great.....

Walmarts fortress is good and inexpensive. An esy way to track is my fitness pal. If will track calories, salt, sugar, carbs etc of all your foods. Lots of us are on there too. Good luck and great job so far.

Wendy

I just bought a big cannister of Pure Protein for $20 at Wal-Mart (four flavors I think). Very Similar to the Body Fortress in terms of numbers. My surgeon recommends Pure Protein for taste.

It says that is 27 shakes. My experience with Slim-Fast says the protein powder is actually cheaper over the long run!

Also.... Milk gets to my stomach so I mix a lot with Water. I actually put the Blender Bottle in the freezer when I get to work at 8 and pull it out at 1145... great consistency (for me) like that.

Today I mixed in half a single serve Crystal Light Raspberry in 20oz of Water and 1 scoop of powder... I definitely LOVED it!!

Loving the suggestions, guys! I do have a a costco about 15 minutes from my work! And I'm on my fitness pal if anybody wants to add me, my username is KassieCoff!

Hey everybody! Not sure if you need some background info to answer this question or not, but I'll give it just in case. I'm 20, been banded since February, and I've lost 75 pounds. I just had another fill a week ago and I believe I'm in the green zone now.

Now, the question.

I'm a freak about watching my sugar. I don't eat stuff that has much sugar in it at all because, well I'm afraid to ha ha.

But I decided that I want to start drinking shakes for some of my meals as I don't normally do that. So I bought this little Blender Bottle and some SlimFast powder that you mix with fat free milk. Without the milk, the powder has 10g sugar per serving. With milk, it's 22g sugar per shake.

That seems like A LOT of sugar to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and I haven't made a shake with he stuff yet, because I'm afraid it's too much sugar.

So I guess my question is: Is that too much sugar, in your opinion? Is there another shake that you would recommend? (Something I could buy at a store vs online is preferred, but will consider online too. And college student budget friendly would be nice ha ha ; ))

Just curiously, are you diabetic? Often times the carbs are more concerning than the actual sugar content as carbs convert to sugar (which I'm sure you know), but nevertheless, my personal favorite Protein powders are those made by unjury. (unjury.com) Although they are a bit expensive, 1 scoop (mixed with 8 oz. skim milk), yields 21 g. Protein, 4 g. carbs and 3 g. sugar. Can't beat that! The shakes are absolutely delicious. My favorites are the chocolate Splendor and the vanilla.

Definitely the Protein powders will be less costly over time. In a pinch look for EAS Advantage Carb Control ready to drink shakes. They are pretty tasty and low in carbs, hence low in sugar.

I buy the Premier shake at Costo. I have also heard they sell it as Sams. It's an 18 ready to go pack. I actually buy the vanilla and change it up so I don't get bored of the flavor. One day I'll mix it with Blueberries, the next day with strawberries and bananas. The I just this week went to the store and I was in the frozen food aisle and bough a bag of mixed fruit. My husband likes my shakes so much he started asking me to make them for him-:)

Just curiously' date=' are you diabetic? Often times the carbs are more concerning than the actual sugar content as carbs convert to sugar (which I'm sure you know), but nevertheless, my personal favorite Protein powders are those made by unjury. (unjury.com) Although they are a bit expensive, 1 scoop (mixed with 8 oz. skim milk), yields 21 g. Protein, 4 g. carbs and 3 g. sugar. Can't beat that! The shakes are absolutely delicious. My favorites are the chocolate Splendor and the Vanilla.[/quote']

I love Unjury also. It is pure protein no a lot fillers in it and it is good quality protein. Every morning I have one scoop unflavored with fruit punch crystal light and its awesome and plus its 28 ozs of Water to add to my Water intake for the day. Just remember you can get in trouble with drinking your calories. My doctor is soooo againist shakes. He told me why get the band if you are gonna drink your meals. I don't see anything wrong with it as long your carbs, sugars and calories are where they should be.

Now, the question.

I always read nutrition labels...and my surgeon was very specific that there are carbs which occur naturally, and carbs which are added to foods, usually processed ones.

I was advised that naturally occurring ones, such as found in fresh fruit are alright to have, but that you need to avoid having any foods which have "sugar added".

There are hidden carbs in so many foods...that's why I read the nutrition labels...

I love Unjury also. It is pure Protein no a lot fillers in it and it is good quality protein. Every morning I have one scoop unflavored with fruit punch crystal light and its awesome and plus its 28 ozs of Water to add to my water intake for the day. Just remember you can get in trouble with drinking your calories. My doctor is soooo againist shakes. He told me why get the band if you are gonna drink your meals. I don't see anything wrong with it as long your carbs, sugars and calories are where they should be.

My doctor said the same thing regarding drinking calories. I am able to use Unjury up to three times a day now because I am still in the post-op liquid phase, but once I transition to foods, I will use it only on an "as needed" basis as a supplement (such as a 4oz. snack between meals) if I find that I am not meeting my protein requirement through food alone. My nutritionist also suggested adding a banana or Peanut Butter to it so it is thicker and stays in the band longer to create more of a meal than a drink. However, I am so excited to eat real food in a few weeks, that I can't imagine not finding enough protein through food alone! I think my first meal will be scrambled eggs with low fat cheese...Mmmm!!!