Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared Of Getting Stuck

Hello! So I'm day 3 (or 4?) post op but I'm already beginning to worry about getting those 'stuck' episodes. I've always been terrified of throwing up and even with a stomach bug rarely throw up. If I'm understanding correctly, when you get stuck you have to kind of burp it up, right? Is it really that bad? Is there anyone out there who have never experienced a 'stuck' episode? I want to avoid them at all costs after reading what it's like. Is that even possible? :/

I've gotten stuck a few times and let me tell you, it's no picnic. One time I honestly felt like I was having a heart attack. But it's always my fault when I get stuck and I know this.

Hey Erin!

Getting that "stuck" feeling is one of the things that you have a great deal of control over. Just stay with the fundamentals your doctor tells you and you should be fine. Take really small bites, chew well allowing about a minute between bites, and stay away from anything really dry and you should be fine - especially now when you probably aren't feeling a lot of restriction. If you're like me, you're going to have to learn how to eat all over again. I always ate so fast, gulped down huge bites, and could polish off a meal in a few minutes. When I have had PB's (productive burping) it was more like vomiting, but not nearly as gut-wrenching because the food didn't have to travel far. (Sorry to be graphic, but that's the topic.) It wasn't pleasant by any means, but it wasn't the end of the world either. You'll be surprised how much better you'll feel afterwards. I just try to never do it because I don't want to stress the plumbing.

Go to YouTube and search "Dr. Paul O'Brien 8 Rules." Great videos from a doctor who is probably the most experienced lap-band surgeon on the planet.

Good luck and don't stress out over it. If it happens, just learn from it and try not to make it happen again.

D.

You have to re-learn how your band is after every fill. I had no stuck episodes until 2 fills ago. I had a few episodes with the fill that was 2 fills ago, and now with this last fill I have had more, and really have to watch it now. I really have to chew, can't have dry stuff, and have to have teeny bites of Protein. It's not fun, but it will probably happen to you. It's more like a gag and throw up than the gut wrenching throw up you sometimes get with a stomach bug.

It's a learning curve!!!!

Nicki

While I have never yet experienced an official "stuck" episode, I did get some early warning signs. It felt like my band had suddenly become very tight with a very mild pain. I stopped eating immediately, and the feeling subsided in less than a minute.

I concluded that I had been allowing myself to eat too fast, and have since made a conscious effort to slow down. Result, no additional issues.

As others have mentioned, if you are conscientious to follow the bandster rules of eating slow with small well chewed bites of moist foods, you should have nothing to be concerned about.

Sometimes you get stuck and it hurts and you produce a lot of slime and it can't go down so it has to come out. Vomiting will sometimes dislodge the stuck food and that will be the end of it. Sometimes getting suck isn't that painful (for me). It's more like getting to full or like if I eat bread it's not like it is stuck and it is painful, its more like it is plugging the hole and it gives you an uncomfortable "very full" feeling, slime and then just kind of burp it up and spit it out.

It can hurt, really chew and take small bites and eat slowly. I can chew the heck out of things but if I eat it too fast or it is too big of bite it all can do the same thing.

Unfortunately, it is the rare bandster that never has a stuck episode.

Best of Luck!

I've had many stuck episodes. I'm a slow learner and have a difficult time slowing down and taking smaller bites. But, most of my stuck episodes are minor and pass through in about 10 minutes. It's not painful for me, just some discomfort. It is difficult when it happens in a cafe and you have to excuse yourself to a bathroom stall to PB for 5 minutes.

You will most likely experience a stuck episode but not until you have a fill or three. It's not a big deal. imo and in my experiences.

tmf

Thank you for all the info guys! I'm going to try my hardest to not get 'stuck' but now I'm a little more prepared for if I do :)

I had my surgery in April and I have yet to get stuck or experience any warning signs! I really chew my food to mush and spit out anything that I can't get to that consistency. I had my fourth fill yesterday, so when I'm back on solids, we'll see if anything changes! I, too, worry about getting stuck, but I'm careful and hope for the best! And if it does happen, I'll make adjustments and deal with it. I'm down 72 pounds and feel like a whole new person. If throwing up every once in awhile is the price I have to pay, so be it!

I had my surgery in April and I have yet to get stuck or experience any warning signs! I really chew my food to mush and spit out anything that I can't get to that consistency. I had my fourth fill yesterday' date=' so when I'm back on solids, we'll see if anything changes! I, too, worry about getting stuck, but I'm careful and hope for the best! And if it does happen, I'll make adjustments and deal with it. I'm down 72 pounds and feel like a whole new person. If throwing up every once in awhile is the price I have to pay, so be it![/quote']

Oh wow! So there's hope for me ;) Congrats on the weight loss! That's fantastic!

Dont worry about the getting stuck feeling. You do get a pain in ur chest that does feel like a heart attack. Dont panic or try and force it up. What i usually do that works is if something gets stuck while I'm eating i stop eating go to the bathroom and lean over the sink and by then the food comes up. Trust me once u have that feeling once you dont want to have it again.

Don't get scared its not as bad ad it sounds. It's your body and stuck doesn't mean your going to choke and turn blue...sorry that's what I honestly thought would happen. It's a feeling that you get and your body takes care of it either up or down and it's not necessarily throwing up. I've had it happen a few times and my lapband, a tool, helps me avoid foods that tend to make me feel stuck. Win a few lose a few it's by trial and error often after fills because we forget those golden rules. I do not regret my band I love it!!!!!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3x7zPz/

I have to be really careful when I'm out with friends or family and get distracted while I'm eating- talking and mindful chewing are not compatible! If you are not too tight, drink plenty of Water before eating, chew your food to mush, and pay attention - you won't get stuck.

It's no picnic. But if you have a problem with getting stuck it only takes a few days of having to go to the bathroom everytime you eat to get it through your head. Slow down and chew. Likewise if you get stuck every time you eat rice then Eventually you'll quit eating rice. So yeah you might get stuck, but your not gonna be stuck everyday of your life.

Thank you everyone! I feel a lot better about it now. I know it's no fun but I know it's not really the end of the world either ;)