Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awaiting Banding In Sept And Feel Like Im 'saying Goodbye' Too All These Foods

Ave ny of you had this? Maybe it's cold feet. I'm just eating like a pig awaiting what will likely be a sept surgery date. I keep eating steak, pulled pork, French bread, chicken like I'm in mourning. I think, " enjoy because you will never eat this again," it's like I'm on a grand tour of all the foods I'm saying goodbye to."

Oh no....don't get stuck in the one last time zone.

I looked at my situation and said it was those foods that got me in this place of

need for WLS.

I have tasted those foods before and in moderation may again one day.

I am finished with making bad choices!

You can do it keep busy..find new habits.

At this point you need determination to see you through this journey,

Stop eating and fix you inter voices.... you have to succeed it is for your health

and happiness!

Best of luck to you!

You don't have to overload in the "feel good" foods. They can still be your friend. Only after your banded you will see them differently too. A bite or two of french bread crust. Not the whole basket will be enough. A small portion of pulled pork, well chewed. You can still have them in your life if you want. Some foods will be hard because of te texture or dryness, chewness. You will see what works for you, and what foods don't agree with you. I did the last supper dinner deal the week before my surgery. A few times to be really honest. But you outlook changes after surgery. I just got to Atlantic city for a week long trip with my mother,aunt and my three kids. My mom took us the the hotels All you can eat seafood/ prime rib buffet. as I watch person after person pass me by with plate loads of food, it kinds of turned my stomach. My kids had some crab legs which I busied myself at opening , cleaning them for them, a cup of Soup and then moved on to dessert table. All mini size Desserts. They tried a few Bites of each and shared them. I had about two single crab legs, 2 shrimp and a couple bites of veggies, and two bites of dessert peach cobbler, rice pudding. My mom and my aunt had two plates full of crab leg clusters each and about a pound of shrimp, some fish, and a salad. It was odd, because u could and would have done same thing a year ago. ( wait - I did - we were here last June ) today I was happy with my small portion. it didn't bother me that I wasnt getting the most for my money. ( ok if I was paying I wouldn't have chosen the buffet restaurant at $26 per person when I was only going to eat a half a fist full size of food. - it would have bugged me a little more then. Anyway you can still enjoy but in smaller doses. Good luck.

um, what makes you think you cant ever eat those foods again ?? i eat 98 % of what i ate before , the difference is i choose NOT to eat 98% of the junk food i ate before. i can still eat steak , pulled pork, french bread (a few bites), chicken, pizza, etc. i just try to choose wisely, . and try to limit my junk foods (sliders) to a few bites. I cant eat raw broccoli, or anything that expands like a biscut, certain potatoes, thick chicken or thick pork chops . So, step away from the junk food , you may not be able to eat a FEW things when banded, but when the weight starts coming off, you wont even care !!!! Good luck !

"I'm so stinkin happy with my weight loss...I don't care what I can't eat" Pink Dahlia

For most of us, what we choose not to eat is offset by the new life we've created. There is so much more to life than cake, Cookies, cheeseburgers and fries. Choose to live healthy. I have no regrets.

tmf

Be careful of how much you indulge. You could end up gaining a lot on the month before surgery. And then it's just extra to lose, which means more time until you reach goal. You can still eat those foods in moderation after the surgery. Heck, until you get enough fills, nothing will probably stop you from eating it all anyways. Don't get too stuck in that mindset you are in. Personally I had one night before surgery to indulge and I had about 3 slices of pizza and a coke. I can't imagine doing that every day for a month before surgery.

Thanks to all of you guys for your good advice. It's amazing to have so many experiences at my fingertips. U guys are great

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches