Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! Im Six Weeks Out And Everything Has Been Fabulous..untill Today

So i know they say not to weight your self everyday but i just cant help it. i six weeks out of surgery now and have started solids...basiclly everything just smaller portions. i have even started excercising. so the scale has always givin me a drop or stayed the same. but today i get on the scale and the scale says i put two pounds on...WTH. im so bummed. then to add to my day someone asked me if i was pregnant...R U SERIOUS...its been down hill all day. please tell me someone that this is just a fluke and i will start to lose again. :(

surgery june 29th...270lb

now.........................250lb..20lbs down

Amanda, don't feel bad hon this is very normal. Every day, every hour we show different numbers on the scale.

My advice to you is this, please only weigh yourself once a week,first thing in the morning after you have went to the bathroom. Make it a special "weigh in day". I can't imagine the torture everyone had by weighing themselves every day, every hour. Its hell! why do that to yourself.

Also, remember sometimes during our menstral cycle we gain, too much salt can lead to Water retention, so many factors. Main thing is to not get discouraged. Track your meals daily so you can see what your calorie index looks like. get in plenty of Water and you are going to lose those pounds girlie!!

Hang in there!!

Thank you patty

If you follow the rules and haven't lost any weight over a one month period you should be slightly concerned. But day to day is no reason to be concerned. Like Patty said, you can gain lbs just by your cycle. You can gain 10 lbs in one week if you eat too much sodium, or carbs and your meds can cause you to retain Water.

Don't sweat the day to day ups and downs. We're not machines, we're much more complicated than that.

tmf

Your weight can change depending on a number of factors, Water intake, elimination, stress, cycle. Yesturday for an experiment I weighted my self almost hourly. I started day with 197.3- had coffee used bathroom-196.5,litter later up to 198, before lunch it was 194,after it was195.4 Afternoon-3pm it was 190.5( I took a photo of scale for that one!) which was really weird usually less in morning -by bedtime it was 196.5, this morning 194. That was 24 hours and the change range was 8 pounds! Don't stress. Overall today's weight is 5 pounds lower than last Thrusday weight in . So I lost 5. Even though I saw 190 briefly - which would have ment 10 pounds. It didn't stick. Now I crazy cause I saw it and want it back!! Ii put the scale away this morning( in my car) so I won't be tempted to pull out of closet. I sure I will meet by friend 190 again probably in another week. Usually the low numbers that I see and then go get my husband to show him - they are gone on when I next step on scale. - come back within a week to stay. Good luck. FYI I went up and down with in 4 pounds the last month- just got fill last week so we are going down again. Hang in there. Don't stress -

It is normal to have fluctuations from day to day. Hormones, Water, all sorts of things can cause it.

To weigh yourself throughout the day is pointless as it is perfectly natural to be heavier by the end of the day than it was at the start. When weighing make sure you do it on the same scales at the same time of day and in the same state of dress (or undress).

I disagree with the others about only weighing once a week. Whilst I was losing I weighed every morning without fail. If there was a slight fluctuation I did not stress but if the pattern was up over a couple of days then I knew that I had to review what I was doing. I found it much easier to get things under control that way than waiting a week or a month. I would still weigh myself every morning now except that it's too darn cold first thing in the morning to stand in the bathroom with my kit off!

Hi Amanda,

Your doing great with your weight loss. I don't think you should weigh yourself everyday if it's going to cause you stress. I weight myself about 3 times a week & if I see a pattern I can go back to my food log & figure it out. I only log my weightloss 1 a week in the am.

So many thing effect our weight & you should not become a slave to the scale. Focus on how you feel & how your clothes fit. Easier said then done, I know:).

I do what elcee does. Each morning when I wake up I weigh. I am happy as long as I don't see an up. I am 7 weeks post op and the only up I have seen was just before my TOM and that came off after it was over. Don't fret to much over one day, but if it happens for a week call your doctor or nutritionist.

Amanda, I'm sooo like you in every way (8 weeks out and 23 lbs down). I weigh every day and get in a super bad mood when I'm up. Yet, I just can't skip a day of weighing. I bounce all over - always have. I used to be up or down 4-5 lbs in one day. Lately, I've been between 20-23 down for the past month and I'm trying to not loose my mind. For me, the heat really makes it hard to lose weight. I'm not motivated to exercise in the heat and I retain Water. I guess I don't have anything to offer you. I'm sorry. But I thank you for your post because it lets me know I'm not alone in my struggle and frustration.

Yeah, I'm a scale addict. But I do believe that as long as you understand why we gain and how we lose it's no big deal. Like Elcee said I also weigh myself at least twice a day. How can you know where you're going if you don't know where you are.

And Amanda, I doubt you would have posted if not for the "pregnant" comment. I know how some people can be so cruel without the intention of being cruel. My best friend saw me and said he thought I wouldn't have a gut anymore. Well, I do, but a much smaller one you a$$! Guys can talk to each other like that.

tmf

Try not to freak out. Things may be up and down for a while. Really 2 lbs is not much... Within a day it's normal to fluctuate between Water retention or eating too much sodium. What kind of foods are you eating?

I gained 8 lbs when I went from post op liquids to mushy foods. I was NOT happy considering I had followed my doctors orders exactly. But things stabilized a few weeks after that. There's no point torturing yourself with the scale those first couple months.

Thanks everyone the scale moved down again this morning..i feel ok.my first fill is on Tuesday i hope i can see the scale move faster..i am going to try my best not to weight everyday..its hard REALLY HARD.but thank you for the support.i live this sure really makes you feel good that there are others who understand