Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Teresita - I'm right there with you. I can flip to any post on any thread here and see someone who started where I am now. *sigh*

hello all banisters, i want to commend all of you for your decision to receive the lap band.. i have been debating for some time now, chicken mostly, but know due to my health issues (hbp, hi cholestero), that i must do something, and it seems that diets, exersice, and cutting back on my own is just not working. i am 235 lbs, 5'4", and have recently been cleared for surgery, just waiting on the insurance co to decide if they want to pay or not).. go figure!!!!!!. if not though i am ready to handle the financial obligation on my own... that is how determined that i am to make a change in my lifestyle... i have heard most of the pros and cons of the lap band, and am very intrigued to hear any other cons people may have... its not the pros that concern me,, just the cons.. so if you are out there, and have had any bad experiences with the surgery, i would love to hear from you... for now..... wish me luck...l

I don't really know of any cons. Perhaps they will come later in my experience. I have been asked if there's anything I didn't know pre-op, that I do know now, but wished I had known then and - yes, I do. I do wish that I had understood that PBs HURT. It wouldn't have changed my decision, but it would have been nice to know going in and not been so *surprised* by how much pain was involved.

I see alot of you here have been banded for quite some time now and with really great results. I am a few days away from hitting my first month with the band and am starving. I lost 17 pounds the first 2 weeks and since then nothing, but I haven't gained either. I was just wondering if it will be like this until I get my first fill. When does the restriction start and when will I feel full. My next dr. appt is not until December and I'm exerciseing myself to death for nothing.

HELP:help:

tigger33

banded 10/17/06

Dr. Abkin

Saint Clares Hospital

287/270/130

FullofGrace Congrtulations this Friday is YOUR Day!! WOOHOOOO You will be out of the 300's in no time.

Wheetsin I want to be like you- been there done that. LOL

Good Luck Kim Calip on your decision. I have only good things to say but there is a complications sections. Some people do have problems but none of us go into surgery believing that something is going to go wrong. You have to make the decision for you. You know what has worked in the past and surgery is the last chance for some. Personally I thank God I had it done.

tigger33 the weight loss starts.....right.....now. Everyone is diffrent, some lose weight the entire time, some lose weight after their first fill, and some lose weight after the 3rd fill and some lose weight when they have hit their sweet spot of restriction.

Here is how to assure weight loss from now on. Are you drinking your Water? Are you eating Protein first? Are you taking your medicine or Vitamins? Are you skipping the junk and snacking between meals? Are you EXERCISING? Are you calorie counting? If you have answered yes to all these questings.....I am not a doctor please do not hold my advice against me and call your surgeon maybe he will move your fill date up.

Are you doing cardio or weight resistance or weight training?

http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/dietdoctor/video/video.html

I lost 17 pounds the first 2 weeks and since then nothing, but I haven't gained either.

hi Tigger,

i had the same thing - lost a lot the first 2 weeks then hit my 'mini plateau'. i have since started working out more frequently and am starting to lose again.

HOWEVER, remember that you are still in the 'healing phase', this is not the time to lose much if any. when you get your first fill, that's when it may start to happen, but some people take more than 1 (or 2 or 3) fills before they get significant restriction.

you can and will do this. just think that the initial 17 pounds are a bonus weight loss. :clap2:

Hey all, been a while since I have posted. I just wanted you all to know that one week out after my first fill, I lost 5 pounds!! The self control is the key. We all have to learn it, one day we might get our fills removed and then be hungry again.

I weighed 320 pounds when I had my surgery. My doc didn't have me loose before banding so I started at 320. I have lost 30 pounds but I would like to comment on what lifelongband said. It is self control. and I have a hard time with it. somedays I do really good and others I cheat. I haven't been filled yet and I wondered if since I was looseing maybe they wouldn't fill me. But after eating way too much yesterday and gaining back 2 pounds. I think one of the plus things about a fill is that you can't eat so much even if you want to. I guess old habits are hard to change. Is there a point in this journey when you feel not so wanting food.

also those who have been doing this for a long time please give me an idea of what you eat and how much you exercise.. I would really appreciate it.

somedays I do really good and others I cheat. I haven't been filled yet and I wondered if since I was looseing maybe they wouldn't fill me. But after eating way too much yesterday and gaining back 2 pounds. I think one of the plus things about a fill is that you can't eat so much even if you want to. I guess old habits are hard to change. Is there a point in this journey when you feel not so wanting food.

Sandranoelle, there are a few things that we should take the time to set straight so that you don't beat yourself up unnecessarily.

24 pounds is awesome progress. You're way ahead of the curve with your loss so far, so don't get down about it. ANY loss before you're filled is like icing on the cake, since technically you're doing it solo still.

Also, this is kind of becoming my mantra here, but weight does not equal fat. You didn't gain two pounds of fat in one day. Stop worrying about it. I fluctuate as much as 12# between morning and night. Our bodies are constantly taking in & letting go of Water. Get rid of some glycogen stores and you'll be amazed at what the scale can do in a very brief period of time. Don't get down because you think you've gained back 2# of fat overnight. Unless you ate more than most people can physically eat, it didn't happen.

You should be able to get a fill regardless of whether or not you're losing. There is no point in having the band if you aren't going to have fill in it. I was losing a lot when it was time for my fill, so my surgeon gave me 1cc instead of 2cc. 3 weeks later I went back and got the 2nd cc.

Yes, there is a point. For me it was within the first week post-op. I lost my appetite on the pre-op liquid diet, and it never really came back except for one day about 3 oor 4 days post-op when I felt I was so hungry I couldn't stand it. You'll notice your behaviors changing. It used to be that when we planned a vacation I'd think, "I hope they have good buffets!" and now I think, "I'll have to pack some Protein bars." I think I'm really starting to hit that whole "eat to live" idea. And it's very, very liberating.

I think I'm really starting to hit that whole "eat to live" idea.

I like that Wheetsin. That is they way I feel *sometimes*:success1:

Thanks Wheetsin I needed to hear that. Sometimes I feel alone in this ordeal. Now it is an ordeal hopefully later it will be the best thing I have every done. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Had DH take a round of progress pics tonight. Of course he cut my head off. :)

Here's just over 8 months and about 115 lbs gone. Or let's put it this way:

Before: Tight size 32 skirt, tight 26/28 shirt.

Current: Size "I" (equivalent to size 22) jeans, size 1x shirt.

post-205294-13813134270906_thumb.png

Amazing Wheetsin,

You have encouraged me to take my own pics... it's hard to really see yourself.

Thanks,

Dawn

Banded april 4th, 2006

Montreal

weight.png

Believe it or not, day to day I don't see a difference. I see how much farther I have to go, not how far I've come. When I posted this lastnight, I hadn't seen the "before" pics in several months. I literally stared in disbelief when the file opened. I used to look at those and think, "Yep, that's what I look like." Now when I see them, I'm just absolutely disgusted, and I wonder how I lived looking like that.