Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I just saw this thread... I have not read thourgh it all yet... but I hope I can join you all in support here... I am 5'1 and started out at 340 lbs BMI was 64.1 Now I am at 290 lbs and BMI of 54.8 but I know most of you know my story and the complications I have had with the band. But I am not giving up I need to lose this weight and I will do anything go thourgh anything to get it done!!! one day I will look back at all the pain I had and I will say it was worth it!

Its great to know that us BIG girls can push and give just as much support. We all have it in us!!! Glad to join you all!

((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Teresita you changed your name!, but I had to tell you, this is why my husband must notice, lol, he will always notice my boobs.

LOL that is funny.....I'm sure he is admiring your adorable shrinking face. :biggrin1:

Welcome TrishS you have doing an awesome job on your lost, keep it up:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hey Y'All

Just stopping by to check in. I started fighting the insurance company at 348 - 59 BMI and was down to 331 by 2/06/06 day of surgery. My official weight - according to the scale at the Surgery Center of Richardson on 4/20 is 325. My unofficial weight is 316 on my scale at home this morning.

Louie - Dr. Fox is Da Bomb. You having your surgery at SCOR? I had mine there and it was all good. Maybe I will see you at the Doc's office sometime.

Josie! look at you go?!? Rock on!

Amy - please don't die trying.... :] Good luck! When are you scheduled?

Molly - eat more - or drink more calories. 500 just isn't enough. Try Meal Replacement drinks, if nothing else. Hugs! And even if the scale says you aren't shrinking - you might be anyway. I didn't lose any weight for like a month after the surgery - but I lost inches! Don't ask me how. My body does some weird thing where it holds onto liquids. Maybe yours does, too.

Ron - congrats! Hope you get the final date, soon.

Teresita - don't fret those 3 lbs - I can gain that much any day of the week from swelling or Water retention. At the rate of speed you are going, you are going to pass me on the way down! Great Work!

Wheetsin - try not to be discouraged. Plateaus happen to the best of them. I am having better restriction since my second fill. Hopefully, a little fill will make a lot of difference for you, too.

Shackdog - go, go, go! When did you get your band? 35 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

Alison - 34 lbs in five weeks is AWESOME!! Keep on eating the Protein. Can you order some Protein powder on-line and make your own shakes? Some of the powders are ok - Carb Solutions makes one that mixes up pretty well - and there are hundreds of others. Try www.fitRX.com

Trish - HUGS! You are down 50 lbs in a year... That ain't bad, chickie. Heal up quick for your re-banding.

Signing off - with my BMI at 53.

You've all done very well... (who here watches Are You Being Served?)

:]

Scheduled for July 28th. What is hard is that I WAS scheduled originally for April 28th. I actually feel a little down with this weekend coming up and not being able to go to Mexico. I am so excited, that it just really sucks that I have to wait longer. :(

It's ok Funnyduddies it just gives you more time for training. You have been doing a great job on losing. Where is your ticker? You should be proud and showing off that you have lost 22 pounds.....WOW:eek: .... on your own. Kick it up a notch and burn that belly. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

You are down in Florida too:) . You can't wait until July 28 to start living your life. I know you feel the difference after losing that amouth of weight.....just think how you are going to feel June 1 when you have lost another 15 pounds.:(

350 22 gone

335 15 by June 1

320 15 by July1

That looks like 52 pounds gone for celebrating July 4....my birthday. LOL

:( that made me smile. Thank you so much sweety!!! I have lost the 22 over a long period of time, and even gained back some of the weight i hafd lost. I was down to 330. But I am determined to lose and be at least 30 pounds lighter by the time my surgery comes, 50 if possible. I am going to do the May Gone For Good challenge, and I am IN IT TO WIN IT!! LOL

Well Funnyduddies...."Live Like You are Banded" come visit the MD support threads.....see what we are eating and what exercise is being done.....walking......walking your butt off. Come on you can do it....you are in training for the rest of your wonderful life. Don't wait!!!!! Are you posting your meals anywhere, do and count your calories. I was eating at least 5,000 calories a day. Now I do 1500 to 2500 and sometimes more but I stay aware of it and I walk. I know 20 minutes of walking will burt about 200 calories so I try to keep moving.....walking in place....dancing....of course in private. LOL Stay motivated.....for every 15 minutes you are on LBT give yourself 5 minutes of movement.

Do you drink Protein shakes yet?

currently i am trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. this has let me lose about 5 pounds in the last week and a half to bring me down to 355. I drink a gallon of Water a day, and it has made my hair and skin start to clear up again. I am going to get some new Protein shakes, and my diet is going to be Protein Shakes for Breakfast, salad and a Protein shake for lunch, and a big salad and Protein rich dinner. I am cutting out all sugar and flour from my diet. also switching from white rice to brown rice. and lots of veggies. Snacks with be veggies, salads with every lunch and dinner, and i am keeping chicken strips in the fridge for quick Snacks as well.

we'll see how it goes. I track my food on FitDay.com its a great site!!

You go Amy...I mean Ms. Duddies LOL just stick to it. Don't be too strict on yourself......just be sure you can live with your changes. Counting your calories and burning your calories is the key. What activities are you doing besides running after the kids...LOL

Hi all....

Gosh, I keep finding more and more cool threads! Thanks to you all for being here. Well....here goes. My high weight was 333 with a BMI of 55. Geeeezzzzzz, that was a bit hard to say...and the shame factor just keeps dropping :( I should be hearing by Friday on the authorization from UHC. I was told by my advocate there, that it's a no brainer. I started my pre-op diet (two Protein Drinks and one meal) on Monday and know I must be losing weight, as previously I ate enough to feed a hungry family of four (more on some days). As of last week's weight at the doc's, I am down four pounds and believe more will be rolling off w/ these bad tasting Protein drinks. Anyone have suggestions for good ones? In any case, I am so grateful to be here and hope to be banded the week of the 8th or 15th per my doc's nurse. Can't wait. The best to you all. I look forward to getting to know you. Oh yeah....last night I had a bunch of very unflattering pics taken for "before" shots.....every conceivable bad angle of my gut, chin, back, arms...you name it. This was a scary thing to do as I have, for years been the one hiding behind anyone or anything when there was a camera around, much less ATTEMPTING to get the most telling shots. While the pics are difficult to look at, I know it will be so cool to watch the changes in my body. Well, that's it for now. Thanks for being here.

Pat

We are in a two story house, so right now i run up and down the stairs for 15 to 20 minutes a day. i also do tae bo if the kids nap long enough, and pilates on the weekends.

I love this thread so much that I just had to make what is my first post on this forum. Yea for a place for people who have more than a pesky little 100 lbs to lose!

My name is Julie and I was banded on 4/10/06 at NYU. My start weight was 358, I'm 5'2, which is a BMI of 65.5. I am down to 340 as of last Friday -- probably lower now but I'm trying not to scale obsess.

Speaking of scales, I just ordered one that goes to 440 on Ebay for a reasonable price. The same company has one that goes to 540 as well. Search for "obesity scales" if you're interested and once mine arrives, I'll post on how accurate I find it to be....

For now, I don't notice a lot of changes since banding. I'm quite hungry but sticking to my mushies and 1000 cals/day. I've got my first fill scheduled for May 30. The only change I have noticed at all (which is actually kind of a big one) is that I don't break out in a sweat with simple movement any more. A few months ago even walking 2 or 3 blocks with friends would get my temperature up, despite serious time at the gym. Now, even though winter is over, I don't seem to be having that problem.

I can't wait to be able to fly comfortably. My family is a long way away and I'd like to see them more often and not have to worry about always planning ahead enough to make sure I have an aisle seat.

Take care all,

Julie-NYC

Yeahhhhh JulieNYC CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I love this thread also, I just feel comfortable in here. Thanks for the info on the scale, I will check it out. I belong to TOPS and that is where I weigh in weekly. Julie I know what you mean about that body temp because I don't sweat like I use to and I am loving it. Good Luck on your journey.:clap2: :clap2:

FunnyDuddy you are doing great, keep it up so it can fall off. LOL:faint:

WOW Scout you are off to a good start by coming here and drinking those shakes. LOL Check out the food board and search for Protein drinks or shakes. I prefer Slimfast carboption and I have Atkins advantage today. Let us know when you here form the insurance co.:biggrin1:

WAHOO! Nope not on my home scale yet, but.....

Went to a friends work (physical therapy/gym) and weighed in. I know that even amongst professional scales there is some varience but shouldn't be much. My friend that drove me over today (we out on errands today) said that that scales weighs her about 2 pounds hevier than her doc's scale, so, here goes. 5lb loss this week! Yay, I am so happy. I'd love more but down is definitely good. As much as I'd love a miracle loss, I know that it isn't realistic. Down is Down. Hoepfully next week, I will hit the old 20lbs down :grouphug: Hope the rest of you are having a great day too :(

I'm wanna be 350 pounds :grouphug:

That sounds good to me!! My pre-surgery goal weight is 327 to get my BMI down to 60.

I'm 5'2" and 409 lbs with a BMI of 74.8. That was my weekly weigh-in yesterday at the Memorial Bariatric Center in Savannah. Funny thing is I was 5'4" all my life, so I've suddenly shrunk two inches? Think I'll have them remeasure that next Wednesday. Another funny thing is my new home bariatric scale said I weighed 413 at 8am, and when I weighed at the doctor's office at 10am, I was 409. OK, I'm keeping the 409:clap2: ...and subtracting 4 lbs from my home bariatric scale.

Honestly, I was 285 for decades and maintained it. I still see and think of myself at that size. So, when I see group pictures now, I think "who is that large person?" DANG, IT'S ME!!! :(

So happy to see this thread!!!