Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Purplemonkey....75lbs that is awesome!!!! Think back to what size clothes were you in before you lost, and what size you are in now! I lost 40lbs several yrs ago while off work from a disability. When I went back NO ONE said anything. Really hurt my feeling. But I knew I had lost it. And you could tell, I went down several sizes in clothes. You really should be proud of what you have accomplished, keep your chin up!

i think if i had gone down in clothes sizes it might help. I always wore stretchy clothes and i am still wearing the same clothes 75 pounds later. granted some of the things just hang on me, but i'm so used to having clothes hang on me that it feels the same. do u know what i mean? the coworkers who know about my surgery say that they can tell a big difference, but the coworkers who don't know haven't said anything. It's all very strange, lol.

Purplemonkey, if your clothes are hanging on you go buy something new and see what smaller size you are. That will give you give a great big boost. Go this weekend and see what you find.

carol

I didn't find my reply but then I am fairly new at this. My highest weight was 378 that I know. I stopped allowing them to weigh me at the Dr.'s office. I had knee probelms and back probelms you name it. anyway in order to get my knees replaced I needed to lose weight. So I dieted to 284, had my knees replaced and then promptly went to 325. My BMI was off the chart. July 24, 2006 I was banded and to this date I am 211pounds with a BMI of 33! I can't tell you how exciting it is to be at this weight. Yes, I do have sagging skins on my thighs and my arms and my abdomen but with clothes on it's ok lol. Anyway, I am not as concerned about the skin as I am about being healthy for my grandchildren and children. I am 59 and feel like 45 for the most! Thank God for the band!!!!!!

Buy new clothes, you will be amazed how good you look and people will definitely see the difference then!

I agree wholeheartedly with the BUY NEW CLOTHES advise. If you are seeing yourself in the same clothes you were wearing 75 pounds ago it messes with your self image.

I'm a clothes junkie, and have been shopping in my closet for the last couple of months. Some of those clothes are now baggy, so I'm trading in my old clothes for some new to me clothes (resale shops are great for this) plus a few brand new pieces that boost your morale!!

Let us know how it goes.

Amy,

Thank you on the clothes issue. I had a "future"closet with clothes that I use to wear and then got to small. I would periodically go there and try on some. Then I would move them into my "present'closet. I got rid of all the big clothes, so as not to look that them again. That was the hard part. I had to believe that with the band I would never get to that size again. Now each time I look at clothes I still go to the women's sizes. Its like I don't realize I wear ladies sizes now. I actually had a "meltdown" I was wandering around the plus sizes then a friend came and oulled me out! lol Moved me into the ladies department and said this is where you belong now! lol So body image is a major part of those of us of plus size come up against. Somewhere I read that it takes the mind a year to catch up with the body, I'm not sure if that's right, but it makes sense to me.

Well hello to the rest of us big folks. I am just starting out, and am on a pre-op diet. I am hoping to schedule my surgery date next friday. And like many of you I have a real long row to hoe LOL.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. You guys are the best. Just found out on Friday that I have strep throat and that may have played a part in me not feeling so well. :girl_hug: i REALLY do need to buy new clothes. I just wish my chest wasn't so large. I have to buy way oversized tops to accomodate the girls. lol virginia

WELCOME TO BIGHARLEYGUY....please join us for this ride of our lives...good luck getting your date set.

Congrats to all, on what we have lost, and Cheers to what we will lose!!!!!

Hey there! I was wondering if any of you that were/are on 2 wks of shakes started getting VERY hungry the 2nd week? I am to have my surgery next Wed. and so far yesterday and today have been the hardest!! I feel like I haven't eaten in at least a week!! UGH

Hey there! I was wondering if any of you that were/are on 2 wks of shakes started getting VERY hungry the 2nd week? I am to have my surgery next Wed. and so far yesterday and today have been the hardest!! I feel like I haven't eaten in at least a week!! UGH

The pre-op diet and banster hell were very hard for me. You can get through this!!! I know you can, because I did--if I can, I know you can. If you have a hard time... visit us all on line. It may help take up some of your time.

For me the computer is upstairs and food was down stairs... it kept me away from the food! I also heard that bleaching your teeth helps????? Luck to you!

I can relate to the shake diet it is hard at times but just stay tough. I had to do the shake diet four weeks instead of two weeks because of a large liver. I had a lot of chicken broth in between the shakes it made me think of it as soup!! LOL

ANYONE ON THIS THREAD CLOSE TO GOAL..... or close to plastic surgery or already had some????? Please dish! I would like a realistic outlook for my possible situation at or near goal! I have seen JulieNYC PS thread and I tell you it is inspiring... I don't know if I will ever be quite that dedicated with the running. I would like to check out any others.