Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal For Breast Cancer?

Does anyone know if band removal is necessary for breast cancer treatment?

I wouldn't think so. Maybe just unfill it. I got lap band after breast cancer. Have you been recently diaognosed? My prayers are with you. I'm 15 months out from my late chemo treatment.

Stephanie

I have not been diagnosed but went for my diagnostic mammo and u/s last week then had biopsy today. I was just trying to think of things ahead of time. Most biopsies come back negative but this is my second one. I have come so far and to see something like this happen to me would be devestating now that I finally am feeling great and loving life. I will post updates...hoping for benign!

praying it comes back as negative!

just wanted to share that a lady that works at my doctor's office got the band and was soon after diagnosed with cancer. i believe she did not have it removed through any of the treatments. if you like, message me and i can get you in contact with her.

hope all goes well!

I havent had breast cancer, but was diagnosed with rectal cancer two years ago. My band was unfilled for surgeries ut in hindsight even that wasnt necessary. I had fill in during radiation and chemotherapy pre surgery and coped absolutely fine - at that stage I was fit and strong and coped without nausea - then I unfilled for the bowel resection (because my colorectal surgeon told me to) - and remained unfilled during the heavier duty chemo post surgery - I had nausea but easily controlled with Zofran. I began refilling about half way through my 20 rounds of chemo.

Afterwards I had awful trouble trying to get the same restriction, my band has never been quite the same but it IS functional and OK.

the main problem I've had was I had to take Iron tablets for four months and they burned a little each time I swallowed one - it turned out they caused an ulcer in my pouch. I had dreadful heartburn for months, but a few rounds of nexium has cured it - so if you have to take anything like that take it WITH nexium to protect your stomach.

The main issue is going to be if you have to have radiation therapy to he area - they are brilliant with calculating how to target only the affected tissue, but there is collateral damage - for example I can now when I need to go to the toilet (thankfully I am continent), but dont get the urge or push to empty, I have to trigger it with a small enema - nerve damage to the area from radiation. I also cannot digets fructose, wheat, lactose properly anymore and am on a restricted low fodmap diet - again damage to the gut lining from radiation and chemotherapy. My overies were fried - hot flushes and menopause begain two days after the very first radiation treatment. So it is not inconceivable that there may be damage to your band and stomach being close in behind your breast. But that's not a certainty and what can you do anyway? Just try to relax and pray that it all comes back negative anyway.

I feel really sorry about your experience, and I hope you'll get past it and come back stronger. Given the amount of time that has passed since your last post, give us an update on your situation, please.

4 hours ago, Dineroriki said:

I feel really sorry about your experience, and I hope you'll get past it and come back stronger. Given the amount of time that has passed since your last post, give us an update on your situation, please.

Given the amount of time that has passed since your last post, give us an update on your situation, please. I've never heard about band removal being necessary for breast cancer treatment. I believe prevention is the best thing to do, and if that's not possible, getting diagnosed at an early stage is vital in the process of breast cancer treatment. I would advise taking a therapeutic agent for several cancers, that can reduce the tumor and help you with the treatment.