Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Sleep Apnea Patients Who Recovered After Lbs

I'd love to hear a success story....

I have sleep apnea. I've snored all my life at different weights but its been its worst as I gained weight.

Has any other sleep apnea patient been able to get off CPAP since losing weight?

I'd love to rid myself of this CPAP.

I have gotten rid of mine. I had lost about 70 lbs prior to surgery and had only used it a couple of times in the two weeks following surgery so I just decided to pack it up! With that said keep in mind that being overweight can cause OSA but it is not the only cause. If you have snored at a healthy weight in the past be sure to talk to your doctor. If you have only snored as an overweight (or obese or morbidly obese) person then there is a good chance you may one day be rid of your CPAP!

I was able to stop using my machine recently. I was having trouble sleeping so I went and had another sleep study and sure enough no more apnea! I love not having to sleep with a machine, however I still snore slightly.

I'm off the CPAP.

And I am one of the reluctant ones. I slept on a CPAP for 12 years (diagnoses in 1998 before apnea was a popular diagnosis) and I loved it.

It took me a couple of years after I lost weight to try going without it... but I started trying because my wife loves to go on cruises, and it's a bit difficult finding plugs close to the bed on a ship... so I tried it, knowing that it was possible. I didn't snore on the trip, and after about a week, I started getting used to it.

It really took me about a month to start gettting really comfortable without the mask (as I said, I loved it), but now, a year later, I am still doing great without the CPAP, and doubt I will go back.

Good thread and responses!! I am still using mine but have been curious about it. I still have a long way to go before considering giving mine up.

Living alone I don't have someone to tell me of my apnea episodes. I learned I had it when vacationing with my BFF (she thought I was dying!). The sleep study confirmed I had OSA. My machine reports 5.3 AHI, so I guess I still have it. My insurance will need some prodding to cover another sleep study. I plan to request it when my BMI is less than 30.

Has anyone out there gone through getting off the CPAP and how did you do it?

I despise the machine but know it's for my benefit.

thanks

the Laughing Cat