Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the earliest anyone had a sip of alcohol? Not a lot, I know all about the calories. Going on a cruise in three weeks, just curious.

I di about 2 months afterwards. No beer though I normally have vodka Water with a sqeeze of lime! Only 2 or 3 because it gets you drunk pretty fast

I had a beer within 1 week. It was not difficult to put down.

I had always been a drinker and this was a huge concern for me but it is a non issue, I drink everyday. I was banded 3 years ago, drank since week 1 and I am at a good weight. Beer fills me up faster and I have had instances of bloating but rarely. I even have days where I drink 20+. Lite beer, like PBR (my favorite chugging beer) is more carbonated then most other styles and I find craft beer especially easy to drink. Also beer is way less carbonated then soda pop is. I find drinking beer settles food well if I get a little backed up while eating. That might help you.

Other drinks I enjoy and that are obviously not carbonated: Margaritas, White Russians, Tequila Sunrises, Long Islands and though carbonated I do drink quite a few Bourbon & Cokes and 7&7's.

I am sure your doctor would not recommend any of this, but it has worked for me.

I am certainly gonna miss my drink of choice. Cap'n & Coke. But Jeager shots have no carbonation...lol. (I know I'm terrible.) :P

i dont remember how soon after but i do have to stay away from carbonation of any sort....really makes my chest hurt so im a vodka/cranberry and wine girl, but watch it,dont need a hangover because trying to throw up hurts something terrible, good luck and have fun on your cruise

The alcohol itself does not hurt the band. I believe most surgeons don't want you to consume alcohol because of the calories and the mind set it puts you in to possibly eat many things you would not normally eat.

I had wine at about a week and a half. No problems but I sure did feel it a lot quicker.

I didn't have anything for about two months. After that, I'm only a wine drinker. No carbonation at all!

I do not remember it being painful to drink, it was slow at first. But if you are curious about the effects on your band, use common sense, lots and lots of carbonation could cause your band to slip, stretch, or just in general cause problems with the band and your stomach. If you are going to be drinking mixed drinks you will be fine, even ones with soda. Once the ice melts a little and the alcohol diluting the soda, a drink becomes flat enough to drink easily.

Obviously you don't eat as much anymore so be conscience of the effects of the alcohol, you won't need as much. And at the same time, too many drinks on a full stomach will lead to bloating and you will be very uncomfortable.

Oh yea, I figured it would be worth mentioning, and this is probably not for everyone, but I get really gassy when I drink a lot of beer!! Heads up on that.

What is the earliest anyone had a sip of alcohol? Not a lot, I know all about the calories. Going on a cruise in three weeks, just curious.

..i had red wine and its not a problem.... only thing is, there is no more weight loss when we have alcohol, or at least there isnt with me. my body is very efficient at using very small amounts of calories now. im going on a cruise early nov... would like to have a small amount of wine then as well. im hoping that swimming will help my metabolism to step up a notch.

i had 1/2 glass of white wine on xmas eve.

first time i had any alcohol since may (when i started my pre op)

I used to love a nice, cold beer on occasion. Now, I can't stomach it. The carbonation fills me up so fast. I tried wine on Xmas but it wasn't my thing...a mixed drink on occasion works for me, but honestly, I can do without it. It does nothing for me but make me full, add calories and give me a headache. I'd rather eat something yummy in exchange for those empty calories. And, wow 20 beers for this one bandster on here? I'm sorry, but that's a bit excessive, don't we all agree? Band or not? Not judging, but just concerned...that's just not healthy :(. Trust me, I come from a family of drinkers, I understand the love and addiction to alcohol...just as an addiction to food. The only thing I don't get, we don't need alcohol to live as we do food. I think if you can kick your addiction to food, become a successful bandster, kicking the alcohol should be a breeze? Or at least kicking the bingeing aspect of it? I think you'll find, maybe not, that alcohol isn't as great anymore in this process. But then again, I was never much of a drinker, what do I know lol :)

It was 6 months for me...after I lost the first 100 lbs... And it wasn't as great as I remembered.

My drink of choice is Jack and Coke. Instead of doing the coke, I went to 50 Lite Cranberry juice...don't knock it before you try it LOL. I had my first drink 3 weeks after surgery and had no problems. My doctor said you can do coke, but let it sit over ice for 15-20 minutes before drinking to cut down the carbonation, just FYI.