Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2007 Bander Starting Over

Hi all

I did come on here when I was looking into the surgery but not sinve and I so need support from people who understand.

I basically lost 3st then put on most of it and losing it again now but through sheer will power not the band.

I'm in the UK and went private and went to all.my appts in the first year when it was free but they didn't seem keen to fill and I never got out of bandaged hell and then could.not afford lots of follow up appointments because I was made redundant.

Anyway I have been poorly and looks like I may have gallstones but the pain was so bad in going to be referred to get my band checked too and I'm.praying I havent done myself damage. I know I didn't follow all the rules I was given and the longer I struggled the more I could eat and so I've gone back to basics in a hope of salvaging the situation and in hope my band and stomach are ok.

I finally understand food has to be different for me. But I'm.really struggling with what to eat and how much and where to get Protein Shakes in the UK. I was never given l loads of guidance.

Any tips, help or support all appreciated.

I am now back at almost 3st (42lb) off but need so much more!

Congratulations on ur 42 lb loss and new begininning ! I don't know where to get Protein Shakes in the UK.but here in the US u can find them in most grocery stores,vitamin/ nutrition stores,gyms and of course you can order online.you are making a good decision to start from the begininning .I would recommend that u see a band doctor just to make sure everything is in place and in working order.Good Luck !

The system in the UK is so different than here in the U.S. I would recommend seeking out few successful bandsters from your neck of the woods(that's what us rednecks say for neighborhood). Cazzy is one who seems to have found success.

If you've never been given guidance, it would be very beneficial to seek out a nutritionist/dietician who is familiar with bariatric patients.

tmf

The system in the UK is so different than here in the U.S. I would recommend seeking out few successful bandsters from your neck of the woods(that's what us rednecks say for neighborhood). Cazzy is one who seems to have found success.

If you've never been given guidance, it would be very beneficial to seek out a nutritionist/dietician who is familiar with bariatric patients.

tmf

I think seeing a dietician here in the UK would be a good start for you , u can be referred by your GP so no costs involved there and the people who go to belgium get filled by a guy who does fills but they also have a nurse anyone can go to to get fills too at a very reasonable cost. I think u may have to find the money from somewhere to get your band checked and a fill. Contact somehwere like nuffield hospital, although they are private they are a charitable non profit organisation so their costs for a fill i am sure would be lower. If this is totally out of the question plead with your GP to write u a letter to an NHS hospital bariatric centre for fills as your circumstances have changed since u went private and can no longer afford it, given u saved the NHS money by having paid for it to be put in u might stand a chance. Otherwise your choices are a little limited. If your GP wont help the start firing off letters of complaint to the Primary Health Care comitte or something like that asking them what do u do now .. etc etc ..

the thread of where they mention about this fill nurse is here .. these are all uk members of this forum but thread is very long , u will need to work backwards on each page to find that info on the fill nurse or post in that thread asking :)

http://www.lapbandta...e-bruyne-chris/

good luck with it ..

Never had to take a Protein shake so no idea where to get them, maybe try boots the chemist !

Thanks for the replies :)

Cazzy I will ask about nutritionist. A few years ago I contacted another hospital but they wouldn't treat me.because I hadn't had surgery with them but may try again. I'm.seeing the gp.tomorrow about my referal to the gastroenterologist I really hope it is my gallbladder and not my band. I've been so foolish eating too.much just because I felt like I can. I'm doing small portions of mushies and I do feel full so I either have restriction or inflamation!

Just thought I would update. I've seen gp and she wont refer me to get band looked and and is refering me for checks on my gall bladder and a parasite that can live in your gut. But I did call my private provider and spoke to a nurse who thinks I should go for a barium xray and general check up and they have now offered me a nutritionist so I think I'm gonna try and borrow the money for it. If my band is ok I wanna give this one last 100% shot!

Am glad to hear things are moving for you. The thing is that nothing happens when u do nothing, there is no harm in trying for things and seeing what can be done, am really pleased u stand a chace of getting this sorted, if u need any other support just let us know :)

Well today I had my xray and the band, pouch and everything looks fine. No sign of slipping or erosion my port was a little.bit tilted on its side but nothing major as he could still access it. He took out all the Fluid and its all still in there and he replaced it with fresh saline. Looks like I've had a lucky escape ad you here many horror stories and I know I haven't always followed the rules but on the other hand I had been half using it and some changes I have never tried to cheat like I have never had a fizzy drink since my surgery.

So gonna let my gp continue to investigate my pain and use this second chance.

My provider are sending ne some stuff in the post to support me and together we will get to goal.

Just goes to show how important your after care is, and if I had gone back earlier I could have sorted this out quicker.