Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here- just googling to find some answers and stumbled into here. I need some advice- I had my surgery 5 days ago (June 30th) and am miserable. I can't find anything to eat that I want to AND can eat! The first 2 days I had Soups and broths and some puréed fruit. Day 3 I had mashed potato and mushy peas to get some veges (mushy peas was NOT nice) and the last night I thought I could make a shepherds pie to get some meat and veg but have felt AWFUL ever since. Did I go too strong too quick? My surgeon was Dr Kierath in Perth, WA and I can't get him to answer the phone to answer my questions.

I'm also really emotional and feel "clogged" not constipated but as if food just isn't digesting at all and is stuck in my oesaphagus- is this normal??

My mum bought me custard and milo puddings but I think that's pretty unhealthy so not sure if I should eat it?

Please someone help me- I don't know what to eat, I'm getting blood spotting on my knickers and one of my incisions (where I think the pouch bit is) is opening a little.

Thankyou- from a desperate, miserable girl!

Please someone help me- whetnot?

Meant DESPERATE not Despetate!!

You should be on liquids most of us had 5 days of liquids and then 5days soft mushies and then 5 days mushies All diets are different as are the Drs . but you went to solids Call your DR. if you are in pain go to the ER.

Your Protein comes from the Protein Drinks , and pudding is a much better choice then shepards pie... I am not trying to make you feel bad but you just can not do stuff like that to your body. I am concerned that you have put food in that can not pass through post surgery swelling and the band...And only your Dr. can tell that by xray.

Wow everywhere I look im confused not sure what's wrong or right! I don't even get to start creamy Soups tell 2 1/2 weeks im feeling so hungry and confused! I can only imagine ur worry! My surgery was 6/29! Id check with dr asap to make sure all is well! Praying u feel better!

You should have been given instructions pre surgery.

Yes I think you went far too quick.

Generally you should be on liquids for 2 weeks, mushies for 2 weeks , soft foods for 2 weeks and then "normal" foods after that.

You should concentrate at this point on things that you can drink. Soups, juices, veggie juices,Protein shakes etc. Custard may not be the best thing for weight loss but it is one of the foods that is recommended at this stage of the process. Yogurt is another good option.

Dig out the paperwork and instructions that you were given and start following those. They are given to you to make sure that everything heals properly after surgery. Eating things that you are not supposed to be eating at this stage can lead to problems at a later stage.

Everyone's physician is different with diet instructions. I was on full liquids for one week then mushies for two. I'm now on regular foods.

Call your physician or his office or the hospital where you had surgery. One of these places is bound to have post op instructions.

Yes- Protein drinks are key at this stage. I was told to find low carb drinks. I like Premier Protein drinks from SAMs club. I also enjoy Isopure low carb drinks (some have 40gm protein!). You can mix Protein powder in low far cream Soups and sugar free Jello.

I hope you start feeling better. Are the bandages still on your incisions?

I agree, you should be drinking Protein drinks, relying on those the most. Take tiny sips of anything you are eating or drinking. And as everyone else said, instructions are different with every dr. I was onto foods by day five. (albeit soft foods!) nothing bigger than a pencil eraser and chewy chew, chew. Measure your food. No more than 2oz at a time. If you are truly hungry when done with that, add another oz. but make sure you are truly hungry. As for the discomfort, in your esophagus, maybe because you are "over eating or too fast" take your time. Remember that things are swollen too....and after you have any kind of incidence with being stuck or such, you also swell. Just slow down, think and drink your Protein Shakes. (low sugars) and get ahold of the dr. They should be answering your calls!

Wow thanks so much everyone!

As for all the "read your paperwork" suggestions- I was given NOTHING. Zero. That's why I called the surgeon but there's no answer or message machine, and then came on here.

As for the rest of the responses- THANK YOU!! Now I know to really slow down, and will.

At 5 days post op I was still on full liquids. It sounds to me like you went straight to regular food. I wasn't allowed meat until the mushie stage and that was only tuna until the second week of mushies where I could have chicken. One major thing to remember is just because you can puree it doesn't make it a liquid. My first two weeks were sugar free pop sickles, pudding, Protein Shakes, yogurt, and creamy Soups. If you progress too quickly your not allowing your stomach to heal and could cause stitches to pop.

Ok I just have one more question (for now)

Have I done serious damage by unknowingly and accidentally eating the wrong food (shepherds pie)?

And if so, what the hell do I do??!!!

Feeling slightly panicked right now!!

Have I done serious damage by unknowingly and accidentally eating the wrong food (shepherds pie)?

And if so' date=' what the hell do I do??!!!

Feeling slightly panicked right now!![/quote']

Don't panick! First, just stick to liquids/mushy foods for a day or two. It's all good! Take it slow. That's it in a nutshell. Go slow. What stage of food are you in? Did the dr tell you that?

And if so' date=' what the hell do I do??!!!

Feeling slightly panicked right now!![/quote']

Ok, as for the food, you probably want to be eating, and getting no paperwork......I would say Soups, (puréed, low fat creamy ones or broth) yogurt (Greek is best because of the protein) smoothies and Protein shakes(you should be getting somewhere of about 60-90 grams of protein in every day- the more the better!) sugar free pudding, and sugar free popsicles, oatmeal run it through a processor......I would do this for the next few days. Then onto mushy/soft foods...tuna, fish soft meats and veggies.

No doctor told me nothing.

Will what I have eaten cause problems? Is it irreversible?!! Or do I just go on eating what you have suggested and I'll be fine?

Lemmanayde your surgeon should have given you all the info you needed. Do a search for professor paul obrien on you tube and watch his videos. He banded me on Monday and he is extremely thorough in giving out all intructions needed. His book is also a must read, it's titled the lapband solution.

For the first week I was told a clear liquid diet, second week mushies/puréed foods and the third week you introduce solids.

You will be fine. Just go back to liquids pronto! You did not do permanent damage, but you need to back off "real" food. I would do Clear Liquids for at least 5 days, then full liquids (like creamy Soup, pudding, yogurt) for at least 5 days, then mushies- add in things like refried Beans, tuna (or other flaky) fish, mashed potatoes, etc. for at least 5 days.

The reason for this is to let your stomach heal. It shouldn't work hard digesting anything for awhile. So just go back and suck it up (I know it's hard, but it's worth it!).

Good luck! And stay here on the forums, they're so helpful!