Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post Op And Miserable Help

I'm asking for help here. I'm miserable. I was sent home with a 24 hr liquid diet then after that mushies. Have been tolerating mushies and Protein Shakes and Water but I cannot shake nausea and the feeling of being full no matter whether I've eaten, drank, or not. The only time I feel my best is first thing in the morning when I wake. When I first drink something is when I start to feel full. At first, I'm sorry to be graphic here but I need to be, yesterday had marked a week since a BM so I had taken Miralax, drank a half of bottle of Magnesium Citrate and then finally a little relief but not much. The things I'm eating are like cream of wheat, oatmeal, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Soup. I talked to my surgeons nurse this morning and she said maybe its because I haven't gone to the bathroom. I just can't seem to get my liquids in because I'm so full feeling. Help, anyone.

I would focus on liquids before foods, that's a pretty quick progression to mushies. I know I had no appetite the first few days because of the swelling, etc. I also was on full liquids, which allowed for puddings, yogurt, Jello and found that I felt extremely nauseous when I ate some of those foods.

Do you know if you received a fill at time of surgery? This could also be a problem if you have a fill

On day 5 I was only able to eat. 2-3 oz of cottage cheese. I wasn't hungry at all. Hang in there. Keep sipping Water do you don't get dehydrated. You will feel better soon.

Not having a BM can make you feel really nauseated. It is uncomfortable and I know with myself I can get a headache and feel like I am going to be sick.

I would try to drop back down to liquids/soup/ and maybe yogurt ...

Drink some hot tea which will help push things through as well.. and a warm heating pad, along with some of the stuff to bring it on.

hope you feel better!

I'm asking for help here. I'm miserable. I was sent home with a 24 hr liquid diet then after that mushies. Have been tolerating mushies and Protein shakes and Water but I cannot shake nausea and the feeling of being full no matter whether I've eaten, drank, or not. The only time I feel my best is first thing in the morning when I wake. When I first drink something is when I start to feel full. At first, I'm sorry to be graphic here but I need to be, yesterday had marked a week since a BM so I had taken Miralax, drank a half of bottle of Magnesium Citrate and then finally a little relief but not much. The things I'm eating are like cream of wheat, oatmeal, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Soup. I talked to my surgeons nurse this morning and she said maybe its because I haven't gone to the bathroom. I just can't seem to get my liquids in because I'm so full feeling. Help, anyone.

I'm so sorry to be reading this...and I agree with NWgirl. It does seem way too early to be on mushies. I had to continue my liquid diet for an entire 2 weeks post op. Initially I found it impossible to get all of the fluids I was supposed to have every day, but do your best.

Your diet seems high on carbs...

Nausea is also a common symptom of dehydration, which can be very serious. So serious that I ended up being sent to the ER by my surgeon to have IV fluids to replenish what I had lost during an illness. I would not wait, but get in touch with the surgeon asap.

In the mean time, I would begin to try to sip as much Water as I could tolerate, and back off of the food. As I gradually regained proper hydration, my nausea resolved. When the system is upset, it is best to make certain to have fluids, and maybe focus on Protein Shakes.

As for the Constipation, TMI...when little goes in, little comes out (sorry to be so graphic). But being constipated is no fun. I take a stool softener, and milk of magnesia when necessary.

You are going through both healing and major adjustments now...but get in touch with the surgeon or go to the ER...

I pray you will feel better fast...keep us posted on how you are.

I know I thought the same thing about going to mushies so soon after reading on here about everyone. I think I will call the dr in the morning but I also think I will go back to Jello, puddings, Protein shakes etc. and see how that does. Also, thank you for the tip about the hot tea, his nurse did tell me to drink warm or hot prune juice which I forgot to mention that I have done two days in a row now but did not do the hot tea which she mentioned too. Thank you all so much for your input.

hugs

Donna

I cup of decaff coffee would moved things along also. I agree maybe too soon for mushies, but all Drs are different.

cheri

ps. your cute love your haircut

Two words, prune juice! Gotta get things moving through.

Good luck.

Oh Donna I feel your pain, literally! Basically in the same boat as you. I hope you feel better soon!

I was on clears for 7 days and then full liquids for 7 days; so I agree with previous posters your doctors progression is really fast. You body just might need more time. broth is sucky so you might want to try a smooth Soup (tomato, etc, cream Soups are higher in fat/cals). I would add Mrs Dash before heating to up the flavor.

I cup of decaff coffee would moved things along also. I agree maybe too soon for mushies, but all Drs are different.

cheri

ps. your cute love your haircut

thank you so much for the compliment

I guess with all that I've had taken I now have had success, diarrhea but success. Hopefully my nausea will stay away today. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I am 6 days post op and still on clear liquids! Definately talk to your dr and see. I am sore still but not nauseous or constipated. Good luck! We must've had our surgery on the same day!:)