Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addicted To The Scale

Well....on Friday, I asked my husband to hide the scale from me. I was making myself and him crazy. I was banded on 5/23 and lost 19 lbs pre-op and then an additional 6 lb in the week after and then nothing. Just yo-yoing between the same 2 lbs for 2 1/2 weeks. I was stepping on the scale every morning and sometime in the evenings. Obsessing and then having emotional meltdowns. I would read this forum and see that so many others go through this same thing prior to their first fill and I would feel better for a few hours and then would begin obsessing again. Eating and exercise is right on target. So...until I get my first fill on July 23rd I will only be weighing myself once per week for mine and my husband's sanity.

I too am addicted to it. The first time I went out of town and didn't have it I panicked. Then weighed once I got home.

Now, I'm weaning myself off. Haven't weighed in a week, but I've been out of town since Thursday, and it's Monday now. Will probably weigh tomorrow Tuesday morning...if not then, I will do it on Wednesday. I've now gotten tired of weighing daily and seeing the scale fluctuate little, especially if it goes up a tad.

Train yourself to only do it once a week. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I have to say.. I have been only weighing once a week, unless of course I don't like what it said :D

I changed my weigh day from Saturday to Monday, but think I am going back to Saturday since it helps me stay focus on chosing the right foods on the weekend.

I am almost 11 months out and loses have really slowed down. I am going to start to shake up what I am eating and see if it helps. I think I have been eating too many of the same things over and over.

I was banded 5/18 and I weigh myself every day, BUT take the fluctuations with a grain of salt. I weigh daily to stay accountable. It really does help me consider my food choices, since I know what will negatively impact me the next morning. I weigh at the same time every morning and plug the number into MyFitnessPal. My husband doesn't understand it, he thinks it's too much, but right now it helps. I don't really let it impact my mood (unless like this morning, when I was FOUR pounds heavier!! Then I was a little bummed.) but then I just remind myself that some days are better than others, and a lot of things factor into your weight.

I weigh every morning. I went a few months onetime doing the not worrying about it thing and after 3 months I thought surely I had lost about 30 lbs. to my horror I had only lost like 2 lbs. never again will I try that! I've lost 170 lbs. (was 322 now 150) so I figure that if I've got issues that allowed me to get over 300 lbs, if maybe I'm a little OCD about the scale it's okay. The trick is not getting nuts when it goes up a few pounds. I try to just keep on track. I try to think of what "normal" weighted people do. They go up and then they just watch it for a few days. Hope that helps. Be kind to yourself.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I've always been addicted to the scale. I still am. I weigh myself at least twice a day. They're just numbers and it helps keep me in line with where I want to go. How can you get to where you want to be if you don't know where you are?

The scale lets me know every day if I made good or bad choices in physical activities and food choices. Did that package of sunflower seeds make me gain 2 lbs of Water due to sodium? Did my 20 mile bike ride correct that mistake? If I cut out carbs for 3 days does it reflect in the scale?

Did I reach a new low so I can change my ticker? I pine over my ticker running to the right. He can't run to the right if I don't know where he's going. Don't sweat the small daily setbacks unless they turn into larger weekly setbacks. No one wants to wait a week to get on the scale and find out they gained 7 lbs? Make the correction before it gets out of hand. Use the scale as a tool to help you manage your food choices. It works for me and I've never understood how or why people obssess over gaining a few lbs over one day. It's just Water weight. No one gains 2-4 lbs of fat in one day and no one losses 2-4 lbs of fat in one day unless you're a marathon runner.

tmf

I too am addicted to it. The first time I went out of town and didn't have it I panicked. Then weighed once I got home.

Now, I'm weaning myself off. Haven't weighed in a week, but I've been out of town since Thursday, and it's Monday now. Will probably weigh tomorrow Tuesday morning...if not then, I will do it on Wednesday. I've now gotten tired of weighing daily and seeing the scale fluctuate little, especially if it goes up a tad.

Train yourself to only do it once a week. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I am the same exact way...I weigh every morning, after every potty break and when i get home from work. I just cant stop!!!! how do you keep yourself from doing it?

I am the same exact way...I weigh every morning, after every potty break and when i get home from work. I just cant stop!!!! how do you keep yourself from doing it?

That's funny. I've weighed myself with and without socks, underwear, pre potty and post potty, with hat, without hat. I pretty much know how much everything I wear weighs including foods that I can visually weigh now.

I don't do it constantly but I refresh the memory on occasion.

tmf