Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's The Main Reason Why Some Peoples Bands Slip?

I was wondering on why does some folks bands slip. Is there a reason on this or does it just happen no matter on what you do.

Excessive vomiting and over eating are some of the main causes.

The reason I have heard the most is vomiting. I would guess another reason would be if it was anchored in place properly.

Overeating, vomiting, and drinking carbonated beverages.

And what do you base your "carbonated beverages" response on?

Is it because the carbonation stretches out the pouch, much like overeating?

I would assume the carb drinks pass right through your band to the main stomach. If so, it wouldn't stretch your pouch.

Because carbonated beverages are the one big "no-no" for people with the Lap-Band. Because it's a proven fact it can stretch the band and cause slips.

Oh and because the woman who shared the room with me after my Lap-Band surgery was in there for a band replacement. Because she had been drinking carbonated beverages and not only did it cause a slip but it prolapsed her stomach through the band.

Is it because the carbonation stretches out the pouch, much like overeating?

Actually, liquids will pass right through the band into the stomach....causing a buildup of gas BELOW the band.

The band was designed for things to pass from the top down...it does not tolerate things that come from the bottom up....like vomiting which can be a sudden explosive force

coming up from the bottom through a small orifice.

Think of a Water balloon with a rubber band at the top, squeeze the balloon below the band with both hands and the top where the band is will pop!

My biggest fear is to get violently sick like food poisoning or motion sickness...let alone drunk....

We leave for vacation in a few weeks visiting foreign countries...have to be very careful about what and where I eat - drink. Especially being 1000's of miles away from my Dr.

Not going to snack on any food from street vendors, that's for sure!

I drink carbonated beverages, just slowly and NEVER with food in my stomach.

Because carbonated beverages are the one big "no-no" for people with the Lap-Band. Because it's a proven fact it can stretch the band and cause slips.

Oh and because the woman who shared the room with me after my Lap-Band surgery was in there for a band replacement. Because she had been drinking carbonated beverages and not only did it cause a slip but it prolapsed her stomach through the band.

Proven fact? Okay where is your proof? Not saying it doesn't exist. I would just like to read that study.

Yes, it's a fact.

A Clinical Study

A clinical study was done in Germany to review complications following lap band surgery. Thirty-five hospitals were involved in the study, with 4138 patients that underwent gastric banding over a five-year period. Lap Band long-term complications were described in 8.6% of all patients. The most common complications included: pouch dilation or enlargement (5.0%), lap band slippage (2.6%), and Lapband migration or erosion (1.0%). (Stroh,C Manger, T “Complications after adjustable gastric banding”, Chirurg, 2006, Vol 77,pag 244-250)

normal-x-ray-150x150.jpg

Normal Lap Band X-Ray Under Fluoroscopy

lapband-enlarged-pouch-150x150.jpg

Enlarged Lap Band Pouch

What is Lap Band Slippage?

One of the long-term complications of lap band surgery is called“Lapband slippage” and can be defined as “when the Lapband and the stomach pouch are both prolapsed.” This means that the lap band has shifted position and the enlarged stomach pouch has also shifted or twisted so that food does not go through thelapband into the rest of the stomach. This may result in pain, discomfort, decreased appetite and inability to eat or drink, and vomiting. Lapband Slippage does not happen immediately but may take several months to develop.

huge-lapband-pouch-150x150.jpg

Large Lap Band Pouch

Lap Band Slippage generally develops in a progressive manner. As food intake is increased, the stomach begins to stretch and grow and the patient may stop losing weight or start to regain weight. At this point, patients may only exhibit an enlarged stomach Lap band pouch. This can be medically treated by deflating the lap band to release pressure and slow the growth of the pouch (successful in 70% of cases, or surgical treatment can be considered). However, if the enlarged lapband pouch continues to grow, the lapband progressively rotates until both the lap band and the enlarged pouch become prolapsed, resulting in Lap bandslippage. This is followed by functional stenosis (narrowing) of the stomach.

lapband-slippage-150x150.jpg

Lap Band Slippage

Lapband Slippage Symptoms typically include progressively worsening reflux, vomiting and epigastric complaints, which may increase to sudden near-total dysphagia (inability to swallow or eat anything, including saliva).

Risk factors or causes of lap band slippage include surgical technique, model of the lapband used, early consumption of solid foods, early inflation or filling of the band, consumption of carbonated or sparkling beverages, and frequent vomiting.

Treatment for lap band slippage requires surgical intervention. Thelapband must be repositioned or removed, based on the operative findings and condition of the stomach pouch. If appropriate, the surgeon and patient may elect to choose another type of bariatric procedure such as a Gastric Sleeve.

How Do I Prevent Lap Band Slippage?

In order to decrease the risk of developing lap band slippage, it is important to follow the recommended diet following surgery and to avoid introducing solid foods too early. In addition, the fills should not be started before 6 weeks post-operatively and these Lap band fills should be very gradual. We also recommend that fills should be done under fluoroscopy, even if you are asymptomatic (no symptoms of lap band slippage), to be able to monitor the position of the lapband, and the size of the stomach pouch and condition of the esophagus. This will allow for early diagnosis of an enlarged stomach pouch or possible lap band slippage.

Susana González, MD

Thanks for that info. I do notice on here that a lot of peoples docs give fills before the 6 week mark and do not use fluoroscopy.

Thanks for that info. I do notice on here that a lot of peoples docs give fills before the 6 week mark and do not use fluoroscopy.

I have noticed that as well, including my own. I didn't have a fill until 6 weeks but I have never had a fill with fluoroscopy, either. I worry when I hear of people getting filled only a week or two after surgery.