Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home Treadmill VS Fitness Club

So here's the million dollar question....

buy a $500, $600, $700... thousand dollar walking machine that takes up as much room as a love seat, that Im gonna fight with the kids to use (at first), AND not sure how long will I use this expensive thing before I get burned out with it.

Its all about convience - and I like that idea.

I can do it rain or shine. Ugly or pretty. Night or day. Kids are home. Im home. Everybody's happy (well, maybe :tired ). AND - **possibly/hopefully** Mike and my 10 yr old will use it as well.

Flip side of the coin...

buy a membership to the local fitness club. One time fee (lots cheaper then the hundreds spent on ONE machine) and have tons of aerobic classes to chose from, and other machines to try - PLUS a personal trainer is in-house during open hours (not that this impresses me -I just thought it may impress someone else).

And the biggie - they provide child care while the parents "do their thang". Which is OK - but another place where the kids are going to have to be under someone else's care.

At home, they are in their enviroment.

I dont know y'all. Please help.

To me the answer was clear: B. I had a treadmill and used it for a couple of weeks, but it just got so incredibly boring I couldn't handle it. I'm just glad it was a freebie and not something I bought!

If it has to be one or the other, go for the fitness membership. Variety is the spice of life, and ABSOLUTELY the spice of exercise. Both would be great and give you the best of both worlds.

I bought a Treadmill 3 yrs ago & spent a lot of money to get it. I used it for about 2 months & then it started collecting dust. It was in the way & I put it in storage. I had good intentions!!! Joining a gym was the best choice for me because I was paying for it every month & I HAVE to go if I don't want to lose money.

But, this is just me!! I'm sure there are others out there who like the home thing & it works for them. I have an idea.....how about both?!?!?! ha.

Unfortunately, I do not have to make that decision. We have one gym, and I use that term loosely, in my tiny little town. They do not offer child care or personal trainers. The aerobics, when they have them, is at 6:00 am to 7:00 am, which doesn't work for me even if I wanted to go to them. BUT, if I GOT to choose with what Paula mentioned, I would definately choose the gym. I would absolutely love it! I spend enough time in my house, I love to get out and that would be a great excuse to go. Plus, to have a personal trainer! That would be awesome, for someone to show me what to do to gain the best results, just what I need. But, I don't get to make that choice, bummer. Our "gym" is sad, I joined once and quickly grew tired of it.

Paula... I have never regretted purchasing my treadmill... when I actually do manage to make myself exercise I am really glad it is at hand... especially with the cold winters here. Yes... it is lonely now and then... but I have actually used it quite a bit over the last 7 years.

I purchased mine at Sears... it's a Nordick Track brand and it has a cushioned deck which IMO is extrememly important. My sister bought the Proform (sp?) and hers broke down with minimal use 3 years ago... mine is still going strong.

There are definitely benifits to going to a gym... there is a social aspect and if one pays for a membership they might feel obligated to go. I can easily ignore my treadmill as I am doing right now...lol.

Still... it has served me well. The elliptical machines are easier on your joints and may be deemed "fun" in comparison to a treadmill... that would be my pick if I could afford another monster in my basement. :) If you do get a treadmill... stick it in the middle of a room where you can watch TV or at least see the hustle and bustle of the home happenings.

Good Luck!

I bought a treadmill several years ago. Every once in a while I use it for a few weeks, then quit. I get so bored on it, I would much rather walk outside. I figure with the warm weather we have here, even if it gets really cold for a few weeks, I am better off doing that. I don't seem to mind walking once I get outside, but making myself walk inside on the treadmill is really hard. How about trying to walk in your neighborhood for free?

Something that helped with me using a treadmill, was reading at the same time. Also, a recumbent bike is good to watch tv or read on. Personally, I just sold the bike cause it was taking up space in my house and I love the LA Fitness I bought a membership in cause i can do Water aerobics which I LOVE. However, with small children, I don't know if I'd be committed enough to bundle them up each time I needed to go out and exercise.. knowing me, I'd procrastinate instead.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I bought mine and use it everyday,and sometimes twice a day. I have a 22 month at home so it is hard to get out to a gym so this works for me. I turn up the music loud on the surround sound and start running. I also got a total body gym(weight machine) but have not used it a whole lot. I need to cause my arms are getting really flabby.

If I could do one thing different I would have went with the store away model so I didn't have this huge thing in my den.

Well, I have done both. I actually prefer working out at home. But right now we have a treadmill, recumbent bike and a weight bench and free weights in my basement (that has a tv and stereo and fan). Works out great for me. I am considering getting an eliptical or a total gym or pilates machine and getting rid of my gym membership.

I think the biggest question is, what are your health/work out goals? If you are just interested in doing cardio... go to Sears or a fitness equipment store and try them all out!!! If you are going to be on the machine 3 to 4 times a week, you want to be comfortable on it. Also, check your local garage sales or with friends. A lot of people buy fitness equipment and then don't use them. You may get a good price on a second hand one.

If you think you are going to need variety to stick with it and you are interested in weight/strength training besides the cardio...maybe the gym is the best place for you.

:)

Treadmills are really good in small houses because they make great storage hangers. You can get a whole load of laundry on one machine.

I prefer both. Sometimes it's hard to get to the gym because I wake up late or have morning errands to run. On those days it's nice to walk the dogs then exercise at home with my equipment. I pick both!

Hi Paula,

My 4 cents worth... I'm expensive, LOL

My husband bought me a treadmill. I used it for awhile and then injured my foot and stopped. He kept using it. When it broke, I bought him a new treadmill from Sears. I got the service contract on it because they tune it up every year and if it breaks and you don't have the service, it costs a lot of money for them to even come out and look at it. DH used it all the time. Everyday.

Me, I joined LA fitness where they have Water aerobics and everything else I need. My foot is better, but with the weight I have a bad knee. The treadmill wouldn't work for me.

So, the moral of the story is.... it is an individual decision.

I think it's an individual decision, one that depends on your personality and lifestyle.

I live in a small town where the only gym is the YMCA. It has most of the above mentioned opportunities except child care and personal fitness trainers. I personally would appreciate both of those things. The problem is it's on the other end of town and not in a convenient location.

My children's school has an indoor pool and fitness room available to me and I tried that, but I didn't go consistently.

So...I bought an eliptical machine. It actually takes up less room than a treadmill (unless you count that some treadmills fold upward). I also have a stationary bicycle, but I hate that thing and have banished it to my basement where it's dark and lonely. I try to do it first thing in the morning and since it's new, I've been doing well. I have pilates equipment like the therabands and an exercise ball, but that's about as far as I'm going with home gym equipment.

I would recommend that if you choose to get home equipment, try it out first. Make sure you're comfortable using it. For example, I bought that exercise bike because I thought it was what I wanted but didn't try it out. It's uncomfortable and hurts my hiney...... I searched for at least three months before I bought the eliptical, trying out dozens in several stores before finding just the right one that fit me and my body. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable and was committed to using it.

Thanks Yall!

Im still undecided. Although as ironical as it seems, lastnight Marcus (my 10 yr old) went to a friends house. They had just bought a second hand TREADMILL. Marcus and his friend spent most of the time playing on it (walking and running). He thought that was the neatest thing - that he could monitor HOW far he ran!!!! He said, "Mom, I ran 2 and a half miles. Phew - I WAS THIRSTY!"

This makes the pendulum lean FAAAAAR to the treadmill side.

They are just SO BIG. Take up SO MUCH room.

???

Betty, walking in the neighborhood for free is the option I have right now - and I dont do it! See, the deal is - I MUST spend money to lose weight/exercise. Its not legitimate unless I pass the greens. (this is what hubby thinks)

The reason I asked this question is to find out how many have puchased exercise equipment and continued using it after 3 months.

Thank everyone!

See, the deal is - I MUST spend money to lose weight/exercise. Its not legitimate unless I pass the greens. (this is what hubby thinks)

Yeah, the more money you spend, the better it works. The more difficult it is, the more worthwhile. Life has to be VERY difficult, or it just wouldn't be fun! LOL

I got a treadmill and have barely used it. If I could keep it in a spot near a radio and TV, it would be better. Otherwise, it sits. So be willing to put it in a prominent place, you'll be okay. Work it, girl!