Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

were any of you told that after having the lap band, having an NG Tube done can be dangerous, if the dr inserting the tube is not aware of your band?

i have a friend who had hte band and later had bypass...yesterday she brought this up to me...i called my surgeon and sure enough, they said that if the doctor that is inserting the tube isnt aware of your band, they may force it and you can asparate...now if you know u will be having a NG tube used then no problem, u can tell doc and they will know to be cautious wiht it...

but what if you get an an accident, are knocked out cold, and while in the E.R, they need to use one for some reason, and noone is there from family to tell them and you obviously cant.

I asked if it would be a good idea to have a medical Bracelet stating that I have the lap-band, and they said yes. It may be a situation that may never happen, but it scares me at the thought that it could.

was just wondering if it was ever mentioned to any of you or if it has, do you were a medical bracelet or necklace stating you have the band. I have the card in my wallet, but the jewelry would be noticed right away.

I'm trying to think of circumstances that they would need to do that in the ER, generally it is to empty your stomach....so yes, to "pump" your stomach from a overdose let's say, it would be dangerous. Those tubes are as big as a garden hose.

I guess gastro bleeding would be another?

Lol B52. The tubing is large but not quite as bad as a garden hose.

The are used to empty stomach contents whether OD or a bleed or bowel content from a twisted intestine.

A Bracelet might be a good idea but usually there is time to inform a er dr or an emt

Generally if they are doing something like that I would have thought they would have used tests such as x rays or ct scans first to determine if it was necessary. The band shows up on these quite clearly.

I have a medical alert necklace. Better safe than sorry.

I have a medical alert necklace. Better safe than sorry.

my thoughts exactly lol...

I'm a ER nurse and if a person has a band or a bypass we generally don't pass ng tubes unless it's a matter of life or death. As far as a medical Bracelet - it couldnt hurt. NG tubes are generally used in the ER for gastric distension, gastric bleeds or bowel obstructions, they are however very small - could be compared to a straw. The garden hoses are for gastric lavage and well unless the over dose was witnessed and within in minutes of arrival we don't really practice that anymore. Hope this helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches