Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regurgitation During The Night Problems?

Hi all,

I have had my band in now for nearly two years and haven't had a fill in the last 8 months as I have been feeling comfortable and no need to get another fill however, for the last couple of weeks now, I wake up at night as if I was having Bile coming up into my mouth whenever I lay down to sleep. It happens about three or four times a night as if, Fluid is making its way up from my stomach into my throat because I am laying down? Does anyone else have this problem?

It started happening to me just before Christmas. It wasn't every night but probably a couple of times a month. I was also waking up quite often with a sore throat which can also be a sign of reflux. I have no idea why It happened but it seems as though there are a number of people having a similar issue. Mine is OK atm as I had a blockage and had to get an unfill and am being slowly refilled. I am hoping that I can get filled to a reasonable level without it recurring.NB. I wasn't tight when it was happening and could eat just about anything.

It does worry me as there are a number of bandsters from a few years back such as wasabubblebutt that converted from a band to a sleeve because of problems with reflux. At least I think that was the reason.

I'm 2 1/2 yrs post op and have recently begun having acid reflux also. About 5 mths ago, I started nite coughing really bad. I found that if I sleep comfortably on my side (like I normally sleep) I wake up with my pillow all full of **** (sorry if tmi) and tasting acid in my mouth. I lie on my back while propped up with 3 pillows. I also take OTC Zantac and prescription Nexium. IT helps some but it doesn't totally alleviate it. I have a dr's appt this Monday for a barium swallow to see if my band is too tight (I don't think it is) and have Fluid taken out if neccessary.

So yes, there's others with this problem. It's called GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disorder) and my dr told me that eventually it can erode the esophagus so much that it may cause cancer. I need to good nites sleep without all the pain, spitting up, and acid taste in my mouth so I'm willing to take some Fluid out if neccessary. Hope you get some reflief soon. It totally sucks!

Marci

I havent had nighttime reflux in a long time, I did briefly for a few months and a sight unfill fixed it - such a small unfill that it really barely made any difference to my weight, I just went up 2lb, that's all.

Now however, i've got constant heartburn and am getting by on 24 hour Mylanda until the 17th when I see my surgeon again. I know my band is too tight because he said it was based on the barium swallow I did in January - I did that barium swallow to try to work out why I seemingly have too little restriction. I have a slightly dilated pouch but the band is too tight - I cant feel that tightness so it can be there and you dont know it. I dont have vomiting, can eat things like bread rolls etc but its too tight nonetheless. I cant wait to get a small unfill, this is miserable.

The heartburn started for me when I had a Tummy Tuck six weeks ago. I didnt unfil based on my surgeon's advice, but the surgery has tightened up my stomach muscles which I think has increased restriction!

Anyway, that's not the point, the point is, reflux = unfill as a first choice to determine whether its just tightness causing it. Tightness isnt serious, reflux IS. And I know I tried to pretend that I wasnt feeling heartburn out of apprehension that that pouch I have may now be a slip, but really, if you put it off you risk doing damage to your stomach and esophagus that might even mean you cant be banded again.

Okay so I had issues before Thanksgiving with reflux and night time regurtation. It got so bad some nights I couldn't sleep. I had all my Fluid removed and a scope where they noted some irritation but no real issues. Without the fluid and on Nexium 2x day I improved significantly. Last week he filled me with only 2.5 cc and it is starting again. I can't eat much and when I do it is painful, could it be possible that 2.5 ccs is too much for me? I was banded in Oct 2010 and although I am doing okay it has been slow for me.