Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Supervised Diet - Frustrated And Annoyed!

My wife and I are going through the process of both getting Lapband and we started our supervised diets with our surgeons Weight Loss Counselor back in January. We just had our 4th visit yesterday.

Since then we have both been on a NO CARB diet, we were told to eat Proteins and given a list full of food we CAN and CANNOT have. Last month our weight loss counselor had us start the process of starting the Protein Shakes so we can get used to them.

On Wednesday I had a visit with my PCP for some blood work and to pick up my letter of medical necessity. She gave me an awesome letter, and praised me for losing 11 pounds since January. I was feeling pretty good at this point. My wife was there a week prior and she was showing a 10 pound loss just in the last month..

Yesterday we went in for our monthly weigh in with the weight loss counselor, and after the weigh in she told me I had only lost 4 pounds since we started with her in January, and she told my wife she had only lost 6!!

I have lost 11 pounds since January (according to my PCP) ... so what confuses me is that the weight loss counselor is telling us something different!! So we were basically told that if we didn't show more weight loss by the 18th of May (our next visit) she would have to MAKE us see the Lapband surgeon for "drastic" measures..whatever that means. It almost felt like we were kids being threatened!

Today I feel extremely stressed out because I KNOW for a fact my wife and have been following the weight loss counselor's instructions to a T, and according to her we are not losing (but according to our PCP we are). I myself in the past have only lost weight doing really low calorie diets (300 to 600 calories a day), so I am not sure if should just do the very low cal diet until surgery or keep following what the weight loss counselor says, and have a chance of not losing before the 18th. :(

That's pretty weird. My son, who was at 40 bmi when he started, was told to be careful not to loose too much weight, else his insurance wouldn't cover him. Lapband surgeon was happy when he only lost 1-2 lbs a month. Different offices are different. Try to follow your surgeon's office rules. Good luck. Karen

Were you weighed at each office. I know my PCP and LapBand Surgeon's scale are off by several pounds. One, I've reached a point in my life where I don't put up with bullying by anyone. Two, bring a letter from your PCP saying you've lost 11 pounds since January. What kind of pissing match are they playing at?

When I innocently asked my doctor if he required patients to do a liquid preop diet he said "Oh you want to go on a liquid diet?" Well not exactly, that's not what I said. He ordered for me to go on HMR a liquid diet that was 500 cals a day and that had to be bought from the hospital. I bought 200 dollars worth and ended up not being able to drink it because it made the back of my throat numb (which for my brother is a sign of food allergies so I was'nt taking any chances.) So that could be their idea of drastic measures. Personally I did'nt loose any weight on that 500 diet (my doctor said I would loose a pound a day). I was also doing an hour of moderate cardio daily.

I personally think it's your doctors. I finished my 6 month physician supervised diet April 16th, met with the surgeon on the 20th and got approved through my insurance co on the 27th. Looking back, the 6 month supervised diet wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. No one gave me trouble about how much weight I was or was not losing. If anything my physician was telling me how pointless it was that it was required to do a 6 month supervised diet. I wish you both luck!

My wife and I are going through the process of both getting Lapband and we started our supervised diets with our surgeons Weight Loss Counselor back in January. We just had our 4th visit yesterday.

Since then we have both been on a NO CARB diet, we were told to eat Proteins and given a list full of food we CAN and CANNOT have. Last month our weight loss counselor had us start the process of starting the Protein shakes so we can get used to them.

On Wednesday I had a visit with my PCP for some blood work and to pick up my letter of medical necessity. She gave me an awesome letter, and praised me for losing 11 pounds since January. I was feeling pretty good at this point. My wife was there a week prior and she was showing a 10 pound loss just in the last month..

Yesterday we went in for our monthly weigh in with the weight loss counselor, and after the weigh in she told me I had only lost 4 pounds since we started with her in January, and she told my wife she had only lost 6!!

I have lost 11 pounds since January (according to my PCP) ... so what confuses me is that the weight loss counselor is telling us something different!! So we were basically told that if we didn't show more weight loss by the 18th of May (our next visit) she would have to MAKE us see the Lapband surgeon for "drastic" measures..whatever that means. It almost felt like we were kids being threatened!

Today I feel extremely stressed out because I KNOW for a fact my wife and have been following the weight loss counselor's instructions to a T, and according to her we are not losing (but according to our PCP we are). I myself in the past have only lost weight doing really low calorie diets (300 to 600 calories a day), so I am not sure if should just do the very low cal diet until surgery or keep following what the weight loss counselor says, and have a chance of not losing before the 18th. :(

Surgeons seem to have slight differences of opinions and methods for the diet they require you to follow. I was told that if I had too few calories, that it would slow my metabolism and weight loss. Another thing which will slow my weight loss is if I have less Protein than recommended for me to have.

Empower yourself to ask the necessary questions of both professionals, mixed messages only create confusion. If you feel threatened, share your thoughts on the subject. Remember you are paying for the services of these people, and you deserve to have answers to your questions.

Good luck with all this...I know how important having accurate information is.

Wow. I'm sorry the doctor is hassling you like that. Some of them really have no bedside manner.

it sounds like you either gained, or the scales are different. DO NOT attempt to lose weight eating only 300-600 calories a day. That is dangerous and could mess up your metabolism, causing you to actually gain. My nutritionist was big on not trying to eat like I had the band, before I actually get it. She wanted me having normal portions and calories.

For next month I recommend that you and your wife log everything that you are eating in a journal and show it to your nutritionist. Don't be afraid to ask questions or get help with meal planning. What are you doing for exercise?

I personally think it's your doctors. I finished my 6 month physician supervised diet April 16th, met with the surgeon on the 20th and got approved through my insurance co on the 27th. Looking back, the 6 month supervised diet wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. No one gave me trouble about how much weight I was or was not losing. If anything my physician was telling me how pointless it was that it was required to do a 6 month supervised diet. I wish you both luck!

When we went to the Surgeons office the first time we met with, I guess it was a coordinator, who was going over what our insurance required from us. She explained the 6 month supervised diet and she said "not to look at it as a diet", they just needed to get our weight 6 months prior to submitting our paper work to show the insurance company.

Another thing the Weight Loss Counselor kept saying yesterday is that if we don't lose enough weight our liver won't shrink for the surgery. As far as I understand that is why we are supposed to do a week or 2 (or 3 or 4) of liquid diet before the surgery.

To me it almost sounds like she is trying to use a scare tactics...not sure why. (Lose weight or no surgery!, Shrink your liver now or no surgery!) or maybe I am reading too much into it.

Personally I WOULD normally look for a new Surgeons office to go to, BUT my wife and I are going to be getting the Banded-Plication, and this surgeon is the only one around who does it.

Were you weighed at each office. I know my PCP and LapBand Surgeon's scale are off by several pounds. One, I've reached a point in my life where I don't put up with bullying by anyone. Two, bring a letter from your PCP saying you've lost 11 pounds since January. What kind of pissing match are they playing at?

Actually I had turned in my letter of necessity from my PCP to them yesterday and it was in the file the Weight Loss Counselor had with her. It actually stated in the letter I had lost 11 pounds since January, mainly to show the insurance company I was attempting to lose weight..so she had it at her disposal. Again the letter was written on and dated April 25th, after I was weighed at the PCP's office (I had to wait an extra 30 minutes at the visit for the doc to write the letter), 5 days prior to our visit to the counselor yesterday.

Wow. I'm sorry the doctor is hassling you like that. Some of them really have no bedside manner.

it sounds like you either gained, or the scales are different. DO NOT attempt to lose weight eating only 300-600 calories a day. That is dangerous and could mess up your metabolism, causing you to actually gain. My nutritionist was big on not trying to eat like I had the band, before I actually get it. She wanted me having normal portions and calories.

For next month I recommend that you and your wife log everything that you are eating in a journal and show it to your nutritionist. Don't be afraid to ask questions or get help with meal planning. What are you doing for exercise?

For exercise we walk when we can. I have 4 months of schooling left before I take my test to get certified for Medical Billing and Coding. My wife works 7am to 3:30pm, I am always studying during the day, and when she gets home around 4pm I have to hurry off to class (Mon, Tues, Thursday and I have a part time internship on Wednesday), by the time I get home at 10pm it's time for bed, so she can get up early.

I met the surgeon and he is real nice. The "hassling" is coming from there Weight Loss Counselor.

I have not changed my eating habits at all since we started, and certainly not in the last 5 days to make me gain 7 pounds. Protein shake in the morning, light lunch which consists of a small amount of cheese, ham, or turkey, and for dinner chicken, Fish, or meat with a veggy. No bread, Pasta, rice, etc....been extremly great about checking items for carbs since we started.

Ok, it sounds like you are following their instructions and being healthy. There is definitely no reason that should make you gain 7lbs. Have you changed any medications recently? I would ask the nutritionist of you are getting in enough calories.

if you don't feel the weight loss counselor is sensitive to your needs, is there any way you can switch to a different one? Remember, these people work for YOU and should never make you feel like an idiot! The last thing you need through this journey is the extra stress.

Wish you all the best :)

Ok, it sounds like you are following their instructions and being healthy. There is definitely no reason that should make you gain 7lbs. Have you changed any medications recently? I would ask the nutritionist of you are getting in enough calories.

if you don't feel the weight loss counselor is sensitive to your needs, is there any way you can switch to a different one? Remember, these people work for YOU and should never make you feel like an idiot! The last thing you need through this journey is the extra stress.

Wish you all the best :)

Thank you!

No change in medications..in fact I am only on 2 meds, one is for Uric Acid, the other is for slightly elevated blood pressure. The BP meds also have a diuretic in them, so I am in the bathroom ever 30 minutes (rules out any type of bloating making me weigh more).

I decided to give this Counselor 1 more shot, so I emailed and she sent over a 5 step plan for me to try until my next weigh in. Basically Clear liquids for 2 days, full liquids for 2 days, then after day 5 solid foods (basically eating the same stuff I am now). So we will see how this works.