Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"prescribing Medication" To Others On The Forum

As a newbie on here I GREATLY appreciated all the suggestions that people made. I never new they made gas X in dissolvable strips!!They were a life saver after surgery. Or papaya enzemys may help if/when I get stuck. I made a list of everything people suggested I have on hand before surgery from heating pads to life savers and took it to my doc and asked him there was anything on there he didn't want me to have.....He said nope. And asked if he could make a copy of the list to give to other patients. Most people that have serious health conditions are aware if other medications will interact with OTC medicines and if they don't, they should. Thats being a inform patient. Regradsless if they are taking any advise from this bunch.

"You took it to your doctor.." and he made the decision for you whether it was okay in that particular instance to injest or use whatever was on that list. My point exactly.....it was approved by your doctor.

"You took it to your doctor.." and he made the decision for you whether it was okay in that particular instance to injest or use whatever was on that list. My point exactly.....it was approved by your doctor.

I agree, if you aren't sure ask your doctor. No argument here. I did because this whole band thing is new to me and didn't know what to think about it. BUT the suggestions were great. It was part of the educational process.

I think everyone is saying the same thing. I think you are more concerned that some will go out and buy all these OTC drugs and WON'T have all the information they need rather than someone making the actual suggestion---I can see that

I think most of make suggestions with the understanding that they have/or will understand what they are taking and assume that if they don't they would ask their doctors.

Its kind of like the OTC drug commericals on TV. How they tell you they have the best cold medicaine out there and you should buy it. Well if were a heart patient, I might would want to make sure it wasn't going to raise my blood pressure before I take it, so I would call they doctor. But I'm not a heart patient, (and don't have any other major health issues) so I feel comfortable going and buying cold medicine without consulting my doctor first.---the same is true here.

Members are just giving a suggestion for what worked for them......each person needs to make a decisions as to wheather or not they should take it or not. And if you aren't positive check with your doctor.

No one would ever suggest "here take this"...........and whatever you do don't call your doctor.

I think the point that a few others made was that you aren't giving people enough credit in that they probably do ask their Dr's if they have a question about things they should/shouldn't do. I don't run out to the store and buy everything people suggest on here, so I expect that everyone else has the same common sense.

I stand behind the idea that people should discuss Rx things with their Dr's, but most other things people can decide on their own. If someone has a life-altering condition, they probably know what they can and cannot take. Most Vitamins are not in a dosage that can cause any damage. Other than those prevalent suggestions on the board, I am still confused about what kind of prescribing you're talking about...

I'm new to this forum but banded in 2010. I will make sure that I let all know if I refer to medications it will be based on what worked for me. I agree that most important discuss what your needs are with your surgeon and support team. I am learning so much from what I read but need to make sure it is safe and ok for me:)

Stepyhandets, I chose the word "prescribing" to place emphasis on my point, hence the quotations.

Stepyhanders, in a thread today that you were one of the responders, someone else not only diagnose the problem" you have acid reflux" that same person said "take Nexium" . No where in that post did I see the words" in my experience" or, "you should check with your doctor first".

Good grief Yve...when you get off your soap box maybe you can be rational...until then...

Hey, I can express myself and so can you. You do not know if someone is already taking medication that if s/he takes even am over the counter drug ad " aspirin' , what other symptoms or sickness may occur.

Elcee.....I have never and hopefully will never ask you for medical or any other advice. SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME TAKING ADVICE FROM YOU.

Just my advice . . . I have had many questions about my meds and things my Doctor recommends and people just give you their advice and experiences. We decide for ourself what to do. We are all grownups and are suppose to think for ourselves.

But the main thing I want to share with you is that Elcee is full of knowledge that she shares with us. She does not push her opinion on others. She is helpfull and kind. But she is also honest and doesn't sugarcoat stuff and I for one like that. If you don't talk to her or read her post it is your lost not hers. You are missing out!!! Sometimes the written word gets read with an attitude that was never there!

Cheri

Cheri, I agree with you 110%

Hey' date=' I can express myself and so can you. You do not know if someone is already taking medication that if s/he takes even am over the counter drug ad " aspirin' , what other symptoms or sickness may occur.

Elcee.....I have never and hopefully will never ask you for medical or any other advice. SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME TAKING ADVICE FROM YOU.[/quote']

Jeez... would you like some xanax hear it does wonderful things for mood swings & irritability. I kid. Sort of. None the less we are all adults and can do as we please. If i (or anyone else) ask for advice that is on us. So please stop playing the forum police.

People simply make suggestions based on their own personal experience. No one is claiming to be a doctor nor is anyone forcing pills/potions/lotions on anyone else. We're all adults here and we're all quite capable of making our own decisions' date=' including when we need to ask for a doctor's advice before taking OTC medication.

No offense, and I don't mean this harshly, but I think you're underestimating people's common sense and intelligence here.[/quote']

Agreed :-) if someone takes a hazardous medicine,deflate their own band or jump off a cliff cuz someone said it worked for them then they will reap the benefit/c from that.I'm sure this site has a disclaimer about info on this site also.

I do not think it is right for anyone to tell others what medication to take for certain symptoms.Remember that someone may have a pre-existing condition that may have adverse effect with certain medicine. It is best to suggest for them to see their doctor.

Oh thank you for speaking up... I was getting tired of arguing with the pharmacist that he had to give me xyz drug because I someone else on LBT forum took it...

You have probably saved my life!!!

I believe everyone is grown adults on here and r able to make thier on judgements on what they take, ive only read advice giving on here, and if someones advices someone to take anything that adult has to decide themselves if they should r not!

I believe everyone is grown adults on here and r able to make thier on judgements on what they take, ive only read advice giving on here, and if someones advices someone to take anything that adult has to decide themselves if they should r not!