Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is getting as thin as my behind!!!

Okay, I knew this was coming, but what exactly is the scientific/medical reason for losing your hair with weight loss? I wouldn't be so worried about it if I knew why it's falling out. Will it stop soon, it's been reeaalllly falling out for about three weeks. Any ideas what I can do to help it stop falling out.

My hair fell out for about two months. I was FREAKING OUT!! :)

But, it did stop (or should I say return to normal??) I also have noticed that some is starting to grow back.

Here is how it was explained to me:

At any time, your hair is in one of three stages: growth, dormant?, and falling out. When your body goes through a major event/shock like child birth or surgery, it puts all your hair into the same stage. Hence, you see the large Hair loss.

I am not sure how much validity there is in this explanation...because I thought it would mean that I would lose ALL my hair...but, luckily, that did not happen.

I did increase my Vitamins during the hair loss stage and it did not seem to make any difference...so hang in there. Just like everything else... this too shall pass.

:lol:

Hi Candice!

Some people say that the Vitamin Biotin helps. You can find it at Walmart.

Also - try increasing your protien.

I remember when my hair was falling out post surgery - my mom's wig from 1970 was looking pretty good!

*sigh* if its not one things, its another with us women!

There are direct causes, and indirect causes.

Directly, and long story made short - your body is hitting the infamous "starvation mode" and channeling its energy & nutrients into keeping itself going, sacrificing your hair in the process. When fat, our bodies are well fed -- including our hair. Especially if you're Protein intake is not what it should be - muscle, then hair will likely be the first things to go (starving animals will actually pull out & eat their own hair -- protein). The most sifnificant hairloss should peak about 5 - 7 months after surgery, and should stop once your body reaches a point of equilibrium.

Indirectly - your body has a lot of things going on. Weightloss bring a lot of "baggage" -- for instance, hormonal fluctuations. Think of it like "fat = hormones". The more fat, the more this is true. That's why MO women often suffer from atypical Hair growth that "normal" women don't, and atypical usually means growth that we consider "man's" hair: on the chest, beard or moustache area, etc. Your hormones impact your hair, and as your hormones go through wild changes, so can your hair in turn.

Be sure to get in your Protein and keep hydrated. Taking silica complex and even pre-natal Vitamins, as you can, should help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches