Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Auto-immune Disease and Band Rejection

One of the nurses that works with my surgeon just told me that people with auto-immune disease should not have the band placed because their body will reject it. I said, "But I have an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and no one ever told me that meant I shouldn't have the surgery. Do you think that's why I had so much pain and swelling and had to have the band removed?" Nothing but silence so far from her and doc. Anyone else ever heard of auto-immune disease being a counter-indication for band placement? I'm sure feeling pissed if they let me go ahead with the surgery when they shouldn't have. I told them I had a thyroid condition, and I don't believe anyone ever asked what it was. Considering the two most common thyroid conditions are both auto-immune, this sure seems negligent to me. Any thoughts?

Amanda, this is the first time I've heard that. We have many successful bandsters on this board with thyroid issues and are very happy with their bands. Aren't allergies considered auto-immune?

Was it really rejected? Or did you have other issues? I thought that the band was made from innert materials, which means that there is no reaction. Sorry, just trying to understand.

Amanda,

Its the first time I have heard of this.However I have had a compromized immune system from a very young age....have had several series of treatment for it.Have had severe allergies and asthma all my life.

But I also have had some sort of auto-immune problem (something attacking my joints RA factor negative,no signs of osteo arthritis...)it comes and goes and ....who knows what it is...

Have had problems with the band from the beginning and still have a huge amount of pain...some days more some days less.......other symptoms more under control now.I get good restriction with fills but my fill dr is now also pushing for endo.....

Would be interesting to know what the Inamed people say.I have the cousin band though.

Vinesqueen,I can physically feel the band (where it is around my stomach..)even when I have 2cc in band (takes 9)My dr says they dont know why some people react like that..he also told me my body rejects the band but I am sure it was just so that he doesnt have to be responsible for cost of removing (he never carries the cost even if the band fails after a month or port problems after 2..)it or he doesnt know or care what else to say....

Sorry for high jacking the post but this caught me on a bad day when I was already wondering again what the heck is going on with this band inside me....but not enough to lose it yet..(still have some weight to lose..)

Hi Amanda

First I have heard of this as well. I have crohn's disease and was told RNY was absolutely out, but that I could go ahead with the band no problem.

I am 9 months out and no issues as of yet. In fact, my crohn's is 100% better. Continue to check out for your own piece of mind, but I really don't think that is the case. Good luck !

On the Inamed website, the information about the band it clearly states that ANYONE with an autoimmune disorder, as well as other issues listed, should not have the band placed.

This was veryinteresting to me because being on this site I am more of a reader then a poster, and I was getting very discouraged about some members that had had so much trouble with their band and did nothing but slam the Mexico docs for their troubles and retroubles. Recently I found out from another memeber that this member infact has an autoimmune disorder. This bothers me since the thought of band erosion just scared me to death.

I think the band is a wonderful thing, but yet maybe those of us that have it didn't realize that maybe preexisting conditions existed and that is the sad part. Luckily mine is working great and steady as she goes.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Paula

I had heard something like this--but I guess I was thinking it was more severe autoimmune disorders that would prevent one from getting the band--not that one is easier than the other.

I have hypothyroidism, and my doctor did not say anything about it. I even asked him directly. "I have hypothyroidsim. Can I still get the band?"

His answer was YES.

I don't have any allergies--that I know of--except I swell really badly after a bee sting.

My husband, however, has terrible allergies, eczema, etc. He might react adversly to a foreign object in his body.

I think everyone probably has a slight autoimmune thing going on--even if it's a slight allergy of some kind.

Anyway--I'm willing to take the risk to be able to lose some of this weight.

Amanda, I have auto-immune thyroiditis, everything is under control now, my levels are normal. I'm not banded yet but almost to the point of approval. I would go to Inamed's website because they do say that individuals with certain autoimmune diseases should not have the band placed. The key word is certain....not all auto immune disease are cause to NOT place the band. Thyroid issues aren't one of them. I remember Lupus being mentioned...I know there are more.

I do wonder about it though. If antibodies are trying to attack my thyroid, wouldn't they attack the band? I've been told over and over by experienced bandsters, NO. I do plan on asking my surgeon again on Thursday to see what he has to say.

Here's what Inamed says:

***Number 18 talks about auto-immune disorders but does not mention thyroid problems.

Contraindications

The LAP-BAND System is not right for you if:

1. You have an inflammatory disease or condition of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, severe esophagitis, or Crohn's disease.
  2. You have severe heart or lung disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
  3. You have some other disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
  4. You have a problem that could cause bleeding in the esophagus or stomach. That might include esophageal or gastric varices (a dilated vein). It might also be something such as congenital or acquired intestinal telangiectasia (dilation of a small blood vessel).
  5. You have portal hypertension.
  6. Your esophagus, stomach, or intestine is not normal (congenital or acquired). For instance you might have a narrowed opening.
  7. You have/experienced an intra-operative gastric injury, such as a gastric perforation at or near the location of the intended band placement.
  8. You have cirrhosis.
  9. You have chronic pancreatitis.
  10. You are pregnant. (If you become pregnant after the BioEnterics® LAP-BAND® System has been placed, the band may need to be deflated. The same is true if you need more nutrition for any other reason, such as becoming seriously ill. In rare cases, removal may be needed.)
  11. You are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
  12. You are under 18 years of age.
  13. You have an infection anywhere in your body or one that could contaminate the surgical area.
  14. You are on chronic, long-term steroid treatment.
  15. You cannot or do not want to follow the dietary rules that come with this procedure.
  16. You might be allergic to materials in the device.
  17. You cannot tolerate pain from an implanted device.
  18. You or someone in your family has an autoimmune connective tissue disease. That might be a disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma. The same is true if you have symptoms of one of these diseases.

Some surgeons say patients with a "sweet tooth" will not do well with the LAP-BAND System. If you eat a lot of sweet foods, your surgeon may decide not to do the procedure. The same is true if you often drink milkshakes or other high-calorie liquids.

There are many kinds of auto-immune diseases. some are indeed contra-indications for banding. I think the nurse did not mean EVERY one is - but caution still must be used becuase lots is still not known about the band. Some of the people here have rejected their bands becuase of autoimmune disorders they did not reveal before surgery. Hashimoto's is sometimes ok, if it is very well-controlled and you are stable. I think It is up to your surgeon and family doctor to decide if you are a good risk for banding. Renee

Hm.. interesting. My mom has Lupus, and I let them know that. They didn't act like it was a problem.

Keep in mind that Inamed also lists these:

You cannot or do not want to follow the dietary rules that come with this procedure.

You might be allergic to materials in the device.

You cannot tolerate pain from an implanted device.

I think they are taking precautions to cover everything to prevent liability. I agree with BandsterHopeful. It really comes down to the opinion of your surgeon and pcp once they have done the pre-op testing on YOU. We are all so different.

I had similar concerns about my auto immune disease, and the warnings are only related to a specific type of auto immune disease. This has all been discussed in great detail, so I won't go into a whole explanation. But do a search here at LBT and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or, check for all my posts from about a year ago, or search for "Sarcoid" or "Sarcoidosis" since that's the name of mine, which may lead you to those discussions. Not all surgeons are familiar so do your homework.

Okay, I thought I was just weird, since I swear I can feel my band.

1. You have severe heart or lung disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.

Okay, I had severe lung disease that made me a poor candidate for any sort of surgery, or even life. I was hauled off the the ER by ambulance with a really bad asthma attack days before I was banded, which is exactly why my surgeon went through and banded me. Because I was dieing anyway.

Heart disease that has been resolved with bypass surgery is not considered a negative, but most certainly is a detriment if the problem has not been fixed.

I have hypothyroidism and my dr. has said nothing about it in regards to the surgery.

The part about hypertention surprises me, as this surgery is supposed to help people with hypertension possibly get off their meds. A lot of obese people have hypertension, along with sleep apnea and various other things that come along with just being obese (Lord I hate that word, but lack a better one). The fact is the surgery can reduce the amount of drugs or C-pap you may have to take, so having high blood pressure does not rule you out.

I wish you all luck. I am looking forward to this journey with apprehension and hope. Does that make any sense? I am not that big an eater, but since my heart surgery I have lacked a lot of energy due to the loss of red blood cells that went on vacation during surgery. I remain somewhat fatigued and hope losing some weight helps me get more energy, and especially helps my feet from hurting. I could walk a mile were it not for them, but I think perhaps they are just carrying too much weight right now.

Okay, I thought I was just weird, since I swear I can feel my band. quote]

No, you are not weird. I can feel mine also. When I have not eaten in a while, I can really feel it. I have no idea why. :)

It's been over a year since I've thought about this topic, but I do recall a discussion I had with Inamed. They said there was no proof that certain auto immune diseases could cause band rejection, but they were using information from past breast implant rejections in this same type of auto immune patient. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words, but something like, "If breast implants reject due to the disease there's a greater chance other foreign implants will reject." Don't quote me, but DO search this site since there's a whole great discussion somewhere.