Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day After Lap Band Surgery

So far not too bad, I'm having a problem knowing when I'm full. I'm scared that I am going to make myself throw up if I drink too much and don't know if the binder is making me feel fuller? I'm scared I'm going to stretch my pouch ( although I think I can't with liquids) just not sure.

My surgeon has me on Clear liquids diet for first week. My instructions in my "manual" ( that they kicked me out the door with) state, " 1-4 ounces at a time as tolerated and as directed by physician. Sip slowly; 6 small clear liquid meals a day... 20 minutes to consume 4 ounces. No caffeine or carbonation. All liquids should be low in sugar.

My problem is that I have a ace bandage (binder) wrapped around my belly. It took two nurses at the hospital to put it on and they were discussing between them weather or not the thing was too tight or not. When they asked me I said I didn't think so, of course I had already taken my pain medicine and may not of been thinking too clear. I remember thinking to myself, " you would think they would have sizes for this" they wanted to add another binder to that one to lengthen it, when I told them it was alright??? A few hours later at home I'm trying to drink chicken broth and a couple of sips is making me feel, full?, weird?, sick?, like I wanted to burp but when I tried, I couldn't. I called the doctors office, explained all this like Iv'e said here and was told. " the binder is your choice, it is supposed to help you feel like it is holding everything in" you need to sip Water and make sure you get 64 ounces in today. I managed about 36-40 ounces and 6 ounces of two at a time clear liquid meals

The nurse that runs the whole program ( she wrote the "manual" ) stopped before I left and said if I needed any help to call her personally, "I sometimes have to work late but I go through all my messages, so I will get back to you later at night" I called her after the surgeon and it is 10:35am the next day and I still haven't heard from her. I expressed my concern with her yesterday about I was trying to find more support then the one meeting on the first Wed of every month for post operative patients. That's when she offered her personal help.

So far today Iv'e gotten my blood pressure med. down, one chew-able muilti Vitamin, two ounces of apple juice ( on the list in manual) and one pain pill. And almost all of my first bottle of Water.< /p>

I have read and received so many conflicting instructions, I could write another hour. I'm a slow one fingered typer. The most conflicting is my dietitian told me that my surgeon and hospital are still in the Freddy Flintstone stage of lap band surgery. She wants me to consume Protein shakes with milk and Greek yogurt and water and pills, fish oil, Vitamins. She is from up north a little , works with a different hospital and doctors and they are aware of the Flintstone program down my way. The "manual" does actually recommend three chew able Flintstones Vitamins a day!!!

HELP, I feel so overwhelmed and confused

Hi Brad. Brandi here idk if i can help but i will try. I have been banded almost 6 months an just this week with my 5th fill finally got to my green zone. already have lost 30lbs during bandster H***. Ok first im from Mass u dont get to much Northern excepst NH or ME lol an ur nutritionist is wrong. We do 1 week of liquids 1 of full liquids 1 of soft mushies the start reg an see how we tolerate it. Coming home i think u r doing well i only could "sip" Water the first 3 days. We can take painmmeds but Vitamins an such wait until week 2.

Gas pains we not so bad for me but i started walking the day of surgery. I also wasnt binded so no help there sorry BUT congrats an welcome!!

Thank you, At least I feel Iv'e found some support. I love the internet it always answers my questions if I look hard enough. I think your right I need to follow the slow and safer approach, Clear Liquids, I see my surgeon next week, the third.

So far not too bad' date=' I'm having a problem knowing when I'm full. I'm scared that I am going to make myself throw up if I drink too much and don't know if the binder is making me feel fuller? I'm scared I'm going to stretch my pouch ( although I think I can't with liquids) just not sure.

My surgeon has me on clear liquids diet for first week. My instructions in my "manual" ( that they kicked me out the door with) state, " 1-4 ounces at a time as tolerated and as directed by physician. Sip slowly; 6 small clear liquid meals a day... 20 minutes to consume 4 ounces. No caffeine or carbonation. All liquids should be low in sugar.

My problem is that I have a ace bandage (binder) wrapped around my belly. It took two nurses at the hospital to put it on and they were discussing between them weather or not the thing was too tight or not. When they asked me I said I didn't think so, of course I had already taken my pain medicine and may not of been thinking too clear. I remember thinking to myself, " you would think they would have sizes for this" they wanted to add another binder to that one to lengthen it, when I told them it was alright??? A few hours later at home I'm trying to drink chicken broth and a couple of sips is making me feel, full?, weird?, sick?, like I wanted to burp but when I tried, I couldn't. I called the doctors office, explained all this like Iv'e said here and was told. " the binder is your choice, it is supposed to help you feel like it is holding everything in" you need to sip Water and make sure you get 64 ounces in today. I managed about 36-40 ounces and 6 ounces of two at a time clear liquid meals

The nurse that runs the whole program ( she wrote the "manual" ) stopped before I left and said if I needed any help to call her personally, "I sometimes have to work late but I go through all my messages, so I will get back to you later at night" I called her after the surgeon and it is 10:35am the next day and I still haven't heard from her. I expressed my concern with her yesterday about I was trying to find more support then the one meeting on the first Wed of every month for post operative patients. That's when she offered her personal help.

So far today Iv'e gotten my blood pressure med. down, one chew-able muilti Vitamin, two ounces of apple juice ( on the list in manual) and one pain pill. And almost all of my first bottle of Water.< /p>

I have read and received so many conflicting instructions, I could write another hour. I'm a slow one fingered typer. The most conflicting is my dietitian told me that my surgeon and hospital are still in the Freddy Flintstone stage of lap band surgery. She wants me to consume Protein shakes with milk and Greek yogurt and water and pills, fish oil, Vitamins. She is from up north a little , works with a different hospital and doctors and they are aware of the Flintstone program down my way. The "manual" does actually recommend three chew able Flintstones Vitamins a day!!!

HELP, I feel so overwhelmed and confused[/quote']

Brad,

I had my surgery last Thursday. Liquids were challenging the first couple days. Sip. Sip. Sip. Sip. Lots of pressure in the chest. Feeling like you need to burp, but not able to. Sip. Sip. Sip some more. Concentrate on clear liquids the first several days at least. You are not looking at losing weight or restriction right now, you are trying to stay hydrated and to heal. My surgeon says clear liquids for up to a week or at least until day four, add drinkable yogurt between day four and seven, add Liquid Protein between day six and ten. The binder is to help support your incisions. They cut your tissue, which can mean those of us with a belly lose that that supportive tissue structure. The binder helps with discomfort, and it also prevents internal pressure from pushing out too much with movements, possibly causing strain on your sutures. I don't think your binder is too tight, unless it's causing more pain than It is helping with. If you decide to discard the binder, use a pillow to support your insicisions, especially your port site, when you change positions. I'm a nurse. We often gave women binders after a c section for the same reason.

I haven't been banded yet..but wondered who you are supposed to swallow pills if you can't gulp?

I'm with you dhales! I'm a horrible pill taker, I got most of my stuff in liquids for that reason.

Welcome Brad! You'll get lots of great info on this site! I'm fairly new to it and just banded on the 22nd. Home recuperating still. Good luck to you on your journey!

Brad,

I had my surgery last Thursday. Liquids were challenging the first couple days. Sip. Sip. Sip. Sip. Lots of pressure in the chest. Feeling like you need to burp, but not able to. Sip. Sip. Sip some more. Concentrate on clear liquids the first several days at least. You are not looking at losing weight or restriction right now, you are trying to stay hydrated and to heal. My surgeon says clear liquids for up to a week or at least until day four, add drinkable yogurt between day four and seven, add liquid Protein between day six and ten. The binder is to help support your incisions. They cut your tissue, which can mean those of us with a belly lose that that supportive tissue structure. The binder helps with discomfort, and it also prevents internal pressure from pushing out too much with movements, possibly causing strain on your sutures. I don't think your binder is too tight, unless it's causing more pain than It is helping with. If you decide to discard the binder, use a pillow to support your insicisions, especially your port site, when you change positions. I'm a nurse. We often gave women binders after a c section for the same reason.

Thanks, good help, I'm feeling better, slow and steady as she goes, I'm just sippin away, just started on my Jello and I have been walking around in the house, farting away the gas. lol sorry it's the roofer in me. I do like the support from the binder but most from the website, thanks again.

I haven't been banded yet..but wondered who you are supposed to swallow pills if you can't gulp?

i was really concerned about that as well but it was easy to fix. i ground my tablets down into powder and introduced the powder to a milk and Protein Shake. i couldnt taste anything and it went down without any problems. are any of your meds a time release?? if they are you cant grind them down to powder.

i was really concerned about that as well but it was easy to fix. i ground my tablets down into powder and introduced the powder to a milk and Protein Shake. i couldnt taste anything and it went down without any problems. are any of your meds a time release?? if they are you cant grind them down to powder.

Good Idea...I paid a compound pharmacy to make my metformin and pain meds after surgery into liquid....but I didn't think about just grinding it myself. They aren't time release so I should be good.