Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Ideas-Help

Hi all, I am now 8 days post op and have been on liquids. I am about to drive myself and everyone around me crazy. I really need food, but I know I can't. Does anyone have any creative ways they've been handling the liquid diet? I'm trying to stay positive, but I can totally tell it's changing my mood and attitude. :blink:

I don't know how you drink your Protein Shakes but I have learned to vary them up. It makes it so much easier. A scoop of Peanut Butter in the chocolate. I take vanilla and add orange kool aid (unsweetened) for an orange dreamsicle flavor. I also use vanila and put instant coffee and sugar free caramel Syrup (for coffee) in it and make like a mocha. I do strawberry with crystal light lemonade for a strawberry lemonade drink. Also Unjury has a chicken Soup Protein Drink that's awesome. It doesn't taste like broth but like soup without the noodles. They make a cheese sauce that rocks too. Truthfully, this is just a really hard part of the diet. But stick with it. You'll be great. If you can do it without cheating you'll feel better physically and also mentally that you had the willpower to do it. Just try varying things and remember that this is not forever even though it seems that way!

I don't know how you drink your Protein shakes but I have learned to vary them up. It makes it so much easier. A scoop of Peanut Butter in the chocolate. I take vanilla and add orange kool aid (unsweetened) for an orange dreamsicle flavor. I also use vanila and put instant coffee and sugar free caramel Syrup (for coffee) in it and make like a mocha. I do strawberry with crystal light lemonade for a strawberry lemonade drink. Also unjury has a chicken Soup Protein drink that's awesome. It doesn't taste like broth but like soup without the noodles. They make a cheese sauce that rocks too. Truthfully, this is just a really hard part of the diet. But stick with it. You'll be great. If you can do it without cheating you'll feel better physically and also mentally that you had the willpower to do it. Just try varying things and remember that this is not forever even though it seems that way!

Thank you so much, I'll try a couple of those ideas...Went to a birthday family dinner last night, you talk about will power. I watched everyone eating all this wonderful different food, as I sat there with my glass of tea. You're right it does make you feel better when you know you did it, but also like you said, this does seem like it's lasting forever.

I don't know how you drink your Protein shakes but I have learned to vary them up. It makes it so much easier. A scoop of Peanut Butter in the chocolate. I take vanilla and add orange kool aid (unsweetened) for an orange dreamsicle flavor. I also use vanila and put instant coffee and sugar free caramel Syrup (for coffee) in it and make like a mocha. I do strawberry with crystal light lemonade for a strawberry lemonade drink. Also unjury has a chicken Soup Protein drink that's awesome. It doesn't taste like broth but like soup without the noodles. They make a cheese sauce that rocks too. Truthfully' date=' this is just a really hard part of the diet. But stick with it. You'll be great. If you can do it without cheating you'll feel better physically and also mentally that you had the willpower to do it. Just try varying things and remember that this is not forever even though it seems that way![/quote']

Wow!!! These tips are great!!! I want to thank you also Duckie!

Good luck Tammie! I just had my surgery today. Definitely know I'm going to be feeling the same exact way as u are now! I'm doing to have regular food even if just a bite.

You really want to follow the post op liquid diet. You have stitches in your stomach. My doc explained it like this. Liquids just pass through without your stomach having to contract to digest them. Solid foods make your stomach contract and thus put you at risk for tearing a stitch. I know it's really hard to do the liquids. But it's so your stomach can heal. Not to be mean to you. Before long you'll be able to eat. And you have got to remember that the band is not going to do all the work for you. Even once you are able to eat you can't just eat anything you want. You need to make good food choices. My doctor said it's so much easier if you start making the right choices early on.

You can get really creative with liquids. Try some thin cream of wheat or oatmeal. They are considered liquids as long as they are "soupy" oatmeal is filling. And some Soups are good too. I liked potato. Before long you'll be on mushies and be complaining about how it's driving you crazy to not be able to chew something! We have to go through each stage. Set your good habits now for later on.

I don't know how you drink your Protein shakes but I have learned to vary them up. It makes it so much easier. A scoop of Peanut Butter in the chocolate. I take vanilla and add orange kool aid (unsweetened) for an orange dreamsicle flavor. I also use vanila and put instant coffee and sugar free caramel Syrup (for coffee) in it and make like a mocha. I do strawberry with crystal light lemonade for a strawberry lemonade drink. Also unjury has a chicken Soup Protein drink that's awesome. It doesn't taste like broth but like soup without the noodles. They make a cheese sauce that rocks too. Truthfully' date=' this is just a really hard part of the diet. But stick with it. You'll be great. If you can do it without cheating you'll feel better physically and also mentally that you had the willpower to do it. Just try varying things and remember that this is not forever even though it seems that way![/quote']

Wow! Very creative ideas :)

I made lots of different veggie Soups. pumpkin, mixed veg, lentil and used different herbs/spices for flavouring. They were really thick and yummy and they tasted like real food.< /p>

Wow! Very creative ideas :)

Thanks lalaj. I found a recipe for "candy" balls using the chocolate Protein shake. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to. There's really a lot you can do if you get creative. When they told me I'd have to do Protein shakes for at least two years I realized I couldn't drink plain chocolate shakes for that long.

If you're worried about calories and fat there's a product called PB2 which is dried Peanut Butter. They basically dry it and suck out most of the fat and calories. This is what I use for my shakes. You can google it and find a store near you or order it online.

I'm also a big supporter of unjury products. www.unjury.com I don't work for them but think they have some really great tasting products. They ARE a bit pricey but this is something you are going to have to have for a long long time. I buy the Target brand chocolate and vanilla because it's about half price. But the rest of my products I order from Unjury. And there's a flat rate shipping of six dollars so if you order a bunch it's a deal.

I just think you have to find something that works for you and really get the mind set that this is what you need to do. The band will only help us as much as we help ourselves.

I made lots of different veggie Soups. pumpkin, mixed veg, lentil and used different herbs/spices for flavouring. They were really thick and yummy and they tasted like real food.

Yes elcee! Just puree them before you drink them to get out the chunks! Voila!

Yep they were all pureed. I actually made and froze them preop so that they would be ready for me when I needed them

You really want to follow the post op liquid diet. You have stitches in your stomach. My doc explained it like this. liquids just pass through without your stomach having to contract to digest them. Solid foods make your stomach contract and thus put you at risk for tearing a stitch. I know it's really hard to do the liquids. But it's so your stomach can heal. Not to be mean to you. Before long you'll be able to eat. And you have got to remember that the band is not going to do all the work for you. Even once you are able to eat you can't just eat anything you want. You need to make good food choices. My doctor said it's so much easier if you start making the right choices early on.

You can get really creative with liquids. Try some thin cream of wheat or oatmeal. They are considered liquids as long as they are "soupy" Oatmeal is filling. And some Soups are good too. I liked potato. Before long you'll be on mushies and be complaining about how it's driving you crazy to not be able to chew something! We have to go through each stage. Set your good habits now for later on.

OMG!! I thought those foods were concidered mushys, otherwise I'd be having them now. You know how excited that makes me...How sad is that. LOL. I'm going shopping. :)

I am exactly 8 days post op today as well. I have been a little brave with my food choices. When I REALLY need something with texture I have been eating a single saltine with a little bit of Peanut Butter on it. You can chew it until it is absolute mush but still gives you that "crunch" you are craving. I only will eat one though!! I have been feeling really good since about day 5 and really want to get back to eating real food, but im taking it slow. I have not been sick or had my stomach hurt at all since the surgery. I have my first fill in about 2 1/2 weeks.

lol No tammy, cream of wheat and oatmeal are considered liquid as long as you don't make them too thick! And remember, NO sugar. Splenda is my favorite sugar substitute but again, everyone has to find the one that works for them. Those two things will probably fill you up and keep you full a little longer than say broth.

Personally, I didn't even WANT anything to eat for the first two weeks. I couldn't imagine eating. But I hear that this is a bit more unusual than most people. I guess I had a lot of swelling because I didn't get my first fill right away either. However, I'm still doing really well and have now had two fills.

Hi all, I am now 8 days post op and have been on liquids. I am about to drive myself and everyone around me crazy. I really need food, but I know I can't. Does anyone have any creative ways they've been handling the liquid diet? I'm trying to stay positive, but I can totally tell it's changing my mood and attitude. :blink:

.. i feel for you, i have the same thing coming up with me im thinking. lol. sorry... i dont have any ideas yet. if i come up with any i will let you know. When you say you are trying to stay positive, but its changing your mood and attitude.. do you mean that you regret taking this step of banding?