Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day One Of Pre-Ob And I Feel Faint , Tired And Weak.....

Yikes, I mean pre-op!! lol

How can I do 11 more days of this and is this ok for my body?? lol... I can have five opitfast shakes a day and some of there bars. I think two bars a day. Today I felt ok until now. I had 3 shakes and two bars and I feel so weak and I have a headache. I see someone people can have Jello or broth do you think its ok if I add this even if my dr told me shakes and bars only? I really don't know how I will survive work or the week like this.

If anyone has done just the shakes and bar and nothing else then I know it can be done but I"m not sure its healthy?? I know its fine or my Dr. would not tell me to do it I just hope it gets easier on the days ahead!

smile.png

getting banded 3/6

I dont mean to be mean but tough it out it will not kill you. I am assuming you are obese as we all were at the beginning...you will not starve.

Every doctor is different in how they want their pre-op diet to go. My doctor required my husband and I to have 2 low carb Protein Shakes, one for Breakfast and lunch, and then dinner consisted of 4-6 oz. of a lean meat and as many green veggies as we wanted. As for the headache, it sounds like you are having sugar issues. I would call your doctor's office and find out of it is possible to have a small 4 oz. of orange juice in the middle of the day or something to keep you from having the headache issues. I myself am hypoglycemic, and that is the only way I can be on a diet that is sugar restrictive. I was banded on Feb 16th, it is rough...but stick it out - I am sure all will be just fine!

You think its rough now wait until after you are banded and can only do liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies then finally soft.

its our bodies screaming for those oh so good carbs/starches that got where we are (to need to get banded). But once you get started its not so hard. Really it isn't. And I did cheat, not all the time, but when I wanted a bite of something I had it, (not sweets) and dr never said anything.

And I was having lightheadnesss/dizzyness to where my cardiologist has cut one of blood pressure meds in half already.Lots better since.

Don't self diagnosis. It can be alot of things, Always check with dr.

dry.png

Thanks I just wanted to whine. ;) I actually had some Water and crystal light and feel much better. I really thought I was going to faint and not sure how I was going to do 12 hours of the night shift. I guess each day will get better. Thanks everyone for letting me vent! :)

Hehe, it's good to whine sometimes. I found that if I have a headache, a lot of the time, I'm just really thirsty. :) Good luck with your night shift!!

Your my band buddy! I'm getting banded 3/6 as well! My Dr. has me starting my 10 day pre-op liquid diet on sunday. I have to have 60 grams of Protein per day(I am going to be using Unjury), and can have an unlimited amount of Water, crystal light, broth and sugar free popsicles. I can also have one each of sugar free Jello, pudding and low fat yogurt a day. But my main nutrition is going to be my 3 Unjury's per day, 1-2 milk based shakes and/or 1-2 of the chicken Soup. I am sooo nervous about starting this liquid diet, I have a feeling its going to be hardest part of the whole surgery! Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!!

It is normal to feel that way, but you still need to pay attention to your body's signals. It's somewhat like detoxing in that your body is suddenly being deprived of something it's used to having. I struggled to get through my pre-op diet as well. I was allowed to have sugar free popsicles which helped. I was working 16 hour shifts during some of my pre-op phase and I literally scheduled something to eat or drink every hour just to help me get through it.

One thing that happened to me while I was on my pre-op diet is that I started itching! I think it was part of that detox process.

If you're still experiencing headaches or feeling faint, contact your surgeon's office and let them know. They may make some adjustments to the diet to help you through it. I was actually allowed to eat some regular food two days before surgery because when I had my pre-op appointment with the surgeon I told him I was getting Migraines from hunger so he said, "Eat!" LOL. I was surprised but he said he wasn't concerned about my liver being a problem during the procedure, and apparently, it wasn't!

Your body is detoxing from the high and carb-filled diet you were on that got you to needing a lapband. I remember it well - the hunger pangs, the headaches, the sleeplessness... But you need to do it now, because firstly you need to reduce your liver size for surgery so that its safe. Secondly, you don't want to be recovering from surgery AND going through the carb withdrawals at the same time! No way! Do it now and get it over and done with! :) By about day 4 for me, I was over the worst of it - no more headaches or dizziness, energy levels felt much more stable. :D

The first day, I HAD to cheat. Not by much, but I had a chicken breast or something. I felt the exact same way. Your body is probably in shock like mine from the lack of carbs it's now getting. If you think about it, that pre-op diet is all Protein, little carbs. Give it a few days and you should feel better. It does suck though. :( I went through the exact same thing!

Your body is detoxing from the high and carb-filled diet you were on that got you to needing a lapband. I remember it well - the hunger pangs, the headaches, the sleeplessness... But you need to do it now, because firstly you need to reduce your liver size for surgery so that its safe. Secondly, you don't want to be recovering from surgery AND going through the carb withdrawals at the same time! No way! Do it now and get it over and done with! smile.png By about day 4 for me, I was over the worst of it - no more headaches or dizziness, energy levels felt much more stable. biggrin.png

as long as we eat right eat slow and chew chew chew!

Wow pre opt diets... Things have changed... I went out for my last steak the night before... My Dr recommend the restaurant. Lol but that was 8 years ago and 120lbs... Good luck I feel for you.

I wasnt required yo do it but thought i ould anyway. It was SO hard and by day three i kept fainting. My doc told me to stop, i didnt have an enlarged liver ( had had a liver ultrasound). Truth is, its NOT good for you, it is done to prevent worse problems such as not beibg able to have the surgery or something going wrong because your liver is in the way. Its tough but you gotta do what ou have to.

liquids after surgery was easy peasy, i got full very quickly and had no appetite anyway. It was just getting hard by the end of three weeks which made mushies seem o good!

It is tough, but you can get through it, most of us did, and we are surviving! Good luck. Karen