Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Bi-polar (or Other Mental Illness) Lap Banders?

I'm bipolar and had to switch from my XR seroquel that's changed my life to some instant release stuff for 3 weeks until I can take the bigger pill again, and wow... my emotions are everywhere! I feel miserable. The pills I have to take now make me so sleepy, so instead of twice a day I only take them at bedtime, so its like half a dose on top of not the ones that have made me stable for the last 4 years. I have made my fiancee promise not to leave me while I am temporarily off this pill, just in case I get really out there, lol.

I know this is all so mental anyways, Just wondered how other people with mental illness are doing, and if u had to change your meds temporarily too.

FYI for people who are wondering or not familiar with mental illness, just because I am bi-polar that does not disqualify me for Lap band. I also had to see psychiatrist that my surgeon sent me to and prove I could do this. I did not lie or deceive. I have 2 teenagers, work full time as a nurse and have a great big supportive (although crazy too) family. ;)

i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 1-1/2 - 2 years ago... I had my surgery on 10/17/11 and have been off my meds completely for about a month and a half now. so far so good. I just increased my frequency of going to see my therapist to every week instead of every 2-3 weeks. Not suggesting that going completely off your meds is for everyone, but.. i was mostly a depressive.. and most of my depression came from being overweight... im far from my goal weight still.. (ive lost about 45 lbs) but I *know* i will get there, and that alone keeps me feeling good.

you are a very trusting, honest person to share so much! best of luck, go for it.

I have been depressed off ad on for many years. since surgery I have started to eliminate my meds. (with docs blessing!). I feel pretty good. I also have SAD so I use a full spectrum light to keep level.

I was diagnosed with bipolar at the age of 26 or so. Have had 3 major manic episodes, 2 of which landed me in the hospital. Escaped the hospital by the skin of my teeth the third time. I've had my ups and downs since then. Been doing great for about 3 years now, stable on meds. I too had to meet with a psychiatrist before surgery and was completely honest. She talked a lot about addiction transfer (I have other addictions besides food). I was successful loosing all my excess weight in about 10 months. 30 pounds has crept back on. I plan to loose 20 of it, I got just a little to thin, or so people tell me. As long as I loose enough to get back into my jeans I'll be happy.

I too am Bi-Polar... Had the band in Sept 2011.. I was freaking on my meds too.. But i dont understand why you had to get off of Seraqual? i just melted my hugh pills in a little warm Water and down it goes. I take three different pills a day. I would ask why is it necessary for u to go off the meds for a lap band?. You should never ever go off cold turkey. You have to be winged off slowly. I got violently ill one time when a so called doctor said i should. Never saw him again.

I too am a mom of three and work full time.. (suoppse to be working now) lol So be strong.. And remember Doctors arent god. They are not the know alls .. Its your body...

My doctor gave me 2 small pills of wellbutrin and now I am back to the 1 big pill again. I also went off my mood stabilizer about 8 months ago and I am doing just fine. I lost all of my 115 lbs in 11 months. I am struggling with maintenance and have put 7 lbs back on over the last 6 months. But my bipolar diagnosis has been changed to depression with anxiety and ocd. Good luck.

Hi. I'm bipolar and have never gone off my meds. Even in the hospital. That is the SOLE reason I decided on the lap band vx. the other surgeries. I have worked way to gosh darn hard and long to get my mental health in a good state and nothing to me is work jeopardizing that - even weight loss.

My psych told me that if I had the other surgeries, he would have to increase my meds to a level that wasn't FDA approved. I'm happy with both decisions - to stay on my working meds and to have the lap band.

So, in summation, I haven't changed any of my meds, but currently am having some trouble taking the big ones.

Good luck to all of us Bi-Polars.

I was diagnosed back in my early teens (almost 20 years ago) as bi-polar. I was on an XR tablet that controled my problem until lapband was placed in Mid October. As soon as I was able to I meet with my doctor and they prescribed me teh same meds just not the XR kind since they can not be broken in two. I now take my meds 2 times a day (once in teh morning and once again in the late afternoon) and while I notice a very mild change it is nothing that i can not control. That being said talk with your doctor and maybe they make your medicine with out the XR so that you can break the pill into two.

Good luck!!!

Wow. It feels good to hear I'm not alone! And I'm not the only one with med changes. It's so inspiring to hear others stories and how you guys have coped. To clarify- I had to switch from my XR pill to the same med, Just not XR - instead a regular version twice a day for the first 3 weeks cause the XR pill is so big. It Just makes me so sleepy I have found I can only take it when I go to bed, so I'm not getting its full benefit. I also quit caffeine caffeine cold turkey day of surgery- not a good idea. Hope to return to mental stability soon!