Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will my head ever adjust to the size of my stomach?

Okay....I'm not a new bandster exactly (6 months out). But I truly thought by now that my head would have adjusted quicker than it has. By that I mean, I get so SCREAMING mad at myself when I go out to eat in particular. I know full well that I can (on my good days) at the MOST eat a cup of food. Yet what do I do????? I still order a full meal. Then I'm practically full on 5 bites of the Soup or salad that comes before my meal even gets there.

When I'm ordering, my mind is saying "Oh, well you are extra hungry, so just go ahead and order like you used to." Now that being said, I do order healthy stuff (like today I ordered salmon and broccoli). But what's the point of spending $13 on something that you are going to eat 5 small bites of? Maybe it's that voice in the back of my head from my mom saying when I was little "There are people starving in .....now finish your plate!"

I am so frustrated with this. Maybe it's silly, but I'm just tired of wasting not only the money on the food, but the eventual wasting of the huge portions themselves. I've tried ordering half portions, but most places don't do that....soup is full of empty calories....the kids meals are usually full of unhealthy fried choices or carbs...so what's left to do? I know consciously that I can't eat that much anymore....so why do I continue to waste so much food? Then I get irritated when I have enough left over for 5 more meals. Any suggestions anyone?....and for you long time bandsters, Does this EVER change?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :faint:

The good news is that it does change, but you have to help it. Try ordering NOTHING the next time you go out. You'll be able to make a whole meal from a couple of pieces of everyone else's meals. That's a trick that worked for me, because my big issue was with variety. Ordering an appetizer never made me happy, because even though it's enough food it wasn't enough variety to satisfy me. I was so used to the whole meal, with side dishes and everything, that just one thing seemed like such a GYP.

But then I discovered that I can have FIVE different things, just by having a little of everyone else's dinner. And there is always plenty of food for me. Remember "I'm not hungry, I'll just pick!"? Well, now it's true!

Wow, I havent gone out to eat yet (considering it tomorrow, that should be odd). But I do still grab for the biggest bowl or glass when I'm getting ready to fix myself something to eat. When I'm not dealing with premeasured amounts or using a measuring cup (like with jello) I hear the old voices, better put more in there.. thats not much, you'll want more.

Its crazy! I should go on and take down that big bowl and put that 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in it. Maybe then, when I see how rediculously oversized it is for the portion, it will finally sink in. *laughs*

I like the idea of eating some of everyone elses. My mom and I go out a lot and she never finishes her food so I think we'll just share in the future. As for going out with hubby he's used to finishing part of mine so I'm not sure he'll share. I guess he'll just have to eat almost two meals.

Going out to eat for me was always less about the food, more about the company. I'd rather have a glass of wine and eat practically nothing and I have no problem paying for food I'll only eat a little bit of either (doggy bags arent allowed in Australia due to health regulations). So be it, I'd rather be thin and healthy and occasionally waste some money on a meal than be my previous self.

For real.... no doggy bags in Australia. I mean it's your food you pay for it.

Weird. What about take-out?

I'd kinda be mad about a rule like that. I mean my hubby loves my leftovers.

I know - it's totally stupid. Take-away is in exactly the same containers. Something to do with it having sat out for the duration of your meal and then being packaged up and not consumed right away, whereas take away food is generally cooked, packaged, taken home and eaten. Its only a relatively recent thing.

I dont care though. I still get a perverse thrill after not being able to eat my meal while everyone else gorges themselves, I'd happily pay 10 bucks to feel that good and in control, lol.

This is a cheesey phrase but I think it can help when you have the 'clean plate' or 'people are starving' guilt.

food will go to this waste, or to this waist.

Either way, more than you need is still more than you need. I'm not banded so I can't speak specifically about how to manage big restaurant portions. But I know I have an especially hard time leaving food on my plate when I've paid for 100% of it. Maybe you could try to think of restaurant prices as an admission price rather than attached to the food. I know it's all mind games - sometimes that's what it takes.

Yes, that's what I mean. I usually go to a restaurant to catch up with my girlfriends what I pay is the price of a night out with people I care about, want to catch up with etc. The food really is secondary.

I rarely go out just with Doug because we have nothing to talk about, how sad is that, lol? Like "how's the kids?" just doesnt cut it with your husband.

I always get a to go box... My hubby doesn't seem to want to share his food!!! LOL!!! Alot of times I order the sampler plate from most places ..it has different stuff for a variety but always something me and my daughter can share!!

I usually share with my 6 year old. But lately I'm getting really tired of the sesame chicken she loves. So last night I ordered my own and of course had to take quite a bit of it home, even though I only ordered a "side" of fried tofu. I don't really care for rice at all anymore unless its attached to my sushi. I like the idea though of sampling from everyones else's plate but my family Never orders fish. And Oh lord the stuff hubby orders, I don't understand why his heart doesn't stop with the first bite. I really hope my family's eatting habits evolve to healthier choices soon....because I fear for their continued health sometimes.

I made the mistake of going to an all you can eat buffet yesterday, while being very very hungry! I had some of this, some of that and a little more of those! Six months out and I am still trying to finish my plate! How stupid! I was so uncomfortable for about 2 hours afterwards! Granted, compared to my pre-banded days, the amount was about an 1/8th of what I use to eat, but the brain still thinks that the stomach can still handle larger amounts. To just push away and say enough is what we need to do! Easier said than done!

Those are good suggestions guys. I like the idea of having a bite or two of other's food. In some situations I would think it would be odd (depending on who you are going out to eat with) to ask others "Do you mind if I have one bite off all of your plates?" Although I love the sound of it, I don't know if I would have the nerve. Maybe it would be less awkward if I offered to pay a couple bucks per person's plate or something???

Robyn, first off let me say how wonderful you are doing! 100 pounds in such a short time...Way To Go!!

I have the same head issues with food. Ordering my "regular" meals and not eating much. I am beginning to learn at 5 months out. I don't order salads, I just eat a few bites of my husbands. I look at the side orders on the menu and pick out a few favorite items. Or, if that doesn't work I order a item off the Entrees and bag it up to take home.

I remind myself: Before banding, I never had ANY food to give to the "starving people." I ate it all, and wasn't even starving.

Shawn

When my mom and I go out, we try and share. She's not banded, but says she eats alot less since I got my band, just thinking about me. She wants to lose 10 or 20 lbs, so I'm glad my band can be of help to her, lol. Both her guy and my guy like Steakhouses best, and last time we went, her and I shared a meal and neither of us even finished that!

Alternately, try and do what Jachut does, and think of it as paying for the time you are spending with friends, rather than the money on the meal. It's a great frame of mind I think. :)