Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Iband With Gastric Sleeve Plication

Ok girls I'm really having 2nd thought with going through with the I-band. Can you give me some pros and cons? Went to my nutrition appt today and don't know if I can give up bread and diet pop forever. Any and all comments appreciated.

Ok girls I'm really having 2nd thought with going through with the I-band. Can you give me some pros and cons? Went to my nutrition appt today and don't know if I can give up bread and diet pop forever. Any and all comments appreciated.

I would say that by getting the iband you will have less of a chance of having a problem eating bread. I'm not sure about the diet soda, I haven't had any soda since surgery but I did have a carbonated malt beverage and it went down ok.

Generally the biggest benefit of the iband is that it helps to prevent complications like slippage and erosion. Also you don't need to have fills as otten, or possibly at all. You also have the beneit of having restriction right away, personally I have not felt hunger since weeks 2 and 3 after surgery and it is possible that "hunger" may have been caused by excess stomach acid. Another beneit of the iband is that the plication serves as a back up to the band, even though I don't have any Fluid in the band I can only eat a small amount at a time, even slider foods. I have never had a stuck episode or pb'd, I haven't had any trouble with any food that I have eaten. The only negatives I have experienced would have happened with the band and probably have been worse, so far that is I have a tendency to eat too fast so I pretty much go from 0 to holiday dinner stuffed with some meals, it's possible that getting filled will help to cure me of this problem but I'd rather work on that problem on my own for now.

On hooo Sissy!!! I eat bread with little or no problems!! I have read of people drinking Dr. Pepper after with no problems!! I myself laid off of the soda a while back (sweet tea) ...I quit the sweet tea just before my band!! Might research and talk more to Dr. Adam's about your 2nd thoughts a see if there is anything he can say to ease your mind!! I think it's a choice to be made and only you can make it!! I will tell you I feel so much better in more ways than one!! I'm more active and like the clothes better but I also feel I have added some time to my life..Happiness is the key!! Let me know what you decide....I go in today and get a deflate I feel a little tight and I have a little congestion I think thats the reason! I had a fill last Thursday and thought it would loosen up but not yet!! It does not hurt just a little uncomfortable!! I hope everyone has a great day!!

I called my surgeons office to ask about the Band with Plication, and the receptionist on the other end kept asking me what I was talking about. Was I saying it wrong, or is this a relatively new thing?

I don't have a surgery date yet, I'm only about 1/2 way through my "to-do" list before I even get to meet with the surgeon, but I'm trying to write a list of questions for them... "Plication" is one of them.

Thanks,

Jen

Welcome here Jen!! Plication is very new and is till in study...They stitch the stomach below the lap band to also not make the bigger stomach smaller but too have a less chance on band slippage!! I guess kind of a back up to get the fullness you desire! Where do you live Jen? You might can call Ft. Worth Lap Band and they will explain it all to you! (817-850-1100) I'm sure they will take the time to explain it to you and maybe then you can consult with your surgeon!! Let me know if you have anymore questions!!

Teri, you're awesome - thank you for the help!

I live in NY - land of the fast talkers and money walkers. I feel SO out of place here, it's hard to believe I've been born and raised in this forsaken city and state!

The orientation that I had basically said that "lap band is the *old* way of bariatric surgery. The sleeve and bypass are the *real* keys to success". I just kind of made the o.O face and listened to what they had to say.

My mind is set on lapband, just need to figure out when and if they'll do the Plication as well. I wanted to ask the surgeon who was speaking last night if they do the 1st fill on the surgery date, but his overall attitude was pretty dismal, so I'm just going to ask my surgeon when I see them.

My understanding is that there will be Fluid in your lap band but not a "fill"..There are some swelling and the gasses that remain after surgery, you need time to heal!! Your appetite is small with the healing so your lap band is already effective!! I had my surgery Dec 21 and my first fill was Jan11th...

I have had 3 fills since my surgery in November, and will get another fill on Monday.

I had the plication do also, and have been really happy so far. You won;t really feel the badn restriction until about the 3rd fill. They told me that prior to surgery, but after the 3rd fill I now understand it. It now stops my intake alot faster than before. I still miss bread...but the results are well worth the sacrafice :)

Good luck

Teri, you're awesome - thank you for the help!

I live in NY - land of the fast talkers and money walkers. I feel SO out of place here, it's hard to believe I've been born and raised in this forsaken city and state!

The orientation that I had basically said that "lap band is the *old* way of bariatric surgery. The sleeve and bypass are the *real* keys to success". I just kind of made the o.O face and listened to what they had to say.

My mind is set on lapband, just need to figure out when and if they'll do the Plication as well. I wanted to ask the surgeon who was speaking last night if they do the 1st fill on the surgery date, but his overall attitude was pretty dismal, so I'm just going to ask my surgeon when I see them.

If you decide that you really want the band with plication you may need to travel, I ended up going to Florida from Maryland to get the iband. You may not need to travel as far because it seems that more doctors are starting to preform plications but it may be a while, if at all, before your doctor does it. If you do have to go to another doctor's office to get the plication, it shouldn't be hard to transfer your paperwork and records to the new office

My doctor did not leave any Fluid in my band (flushing the band and leaving some fluid in the band is the usual practice of most doctors and that leftover fluid could be considered the first fill, but I'm not sure if it is a standard amount). The reason my doctor didn't leave any fluid is that he feels that if for any reason there is too much pressure in my stomach early on it wanted there to be an easy way out (I assume throwing up) instead of pressure on both ends.

Had a wonderful lunch today with Tahnee and Sissy!! I'm so excited for you both!! A new journey with new friends!!! :D

I live about 20 min West of Ft Worth... where are you all located within DFW?

I live in Weatherford and the other girls live in Ft. Worth!! Your close!!