Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever Feel Like Your Lap Band Surgeon Said He Did Somethig, But You Feel He Didn't?

I was at my surgeon's office yesteray. I had origanally come in because I had been having issues with the band being too tight since the previous fill. Well, between the time i made the appointment and the time I can in, the issues seem to have resolved themelves. So I went in anyway, saything that I had been extremely over tightened over the last 3 weeks, but that things we okay now. My only concern is that we are going on vacation to Hawaii later this month and I had heard that some people get extreme constriction of the band while in the air. So even though I was finally in that perfect "green zone" I wanted him to take some out for the upcoming air travel. So he agreed to take out .1 cc to give me some "breathing room" or "slack".

Here's where the weired part comes in - I lay down, he feels around for the port and I could fee he was feeling in the wrong place. My port is below and to the left of my incission. So he palpitates for a few second, then supposedly inserts the needle and then shows me the full needle - "See, that's how much we took out". Well, I certainly didnt feel any needle and I didn't feel the pressure of him pushing down on the port and I didn't fee the usually feeling I get when the needle hits the port or when liquid is taken out. Afterward there was no sign of a needle prick and the bandaide was in completely the wrong spot.

So I'm feeling like I What would he have gained by doing that? He either could have said you don't need an unfill and explained why, or given me the unfill? I feel like he was "humoring" me for no reason. - I wasn't some desperate person coming in instisting for a unfill I didn't need. I just wanted to know whether it was a good idea if I was going to fly.

So now I'm in a really awkward position of saying nothing (and having doubts about my doctor) or calling his office and explaining what I experienced - without accusing him of unethical behaviour or incomptancy!

What should I do?

You can request another unfill

Go in again and have him pull out all the Fluid and show you how much is there. Better to play silly doubting woman on the ground than at 12,000 feet in the air. Also, once you are at the new appointment, after your fluid amount has been verified, then discuss with him what led you to need confirmation--face to face. If you don't feel comfortable with this then you could just ask his nurse to do the confirmation, but don't tell her why, just blame it on yourself saying you believe you misread the amount you saw the doctor remove and need to see it again for your own peace of mind :)

Air travel will not be an issue...but trusting your doctor is...you have had a really weird experience! If you were numbed up at all with a shot of lidocaine before accessing your port that can cause things to feel like they are in a weird place. Also your port moves a lot from sitting or standing to laying down and that may be why the band aid seems like its in a weird place....

Overall I would say if you feel well and are happy with your level of restriction...let it go if you can.

My surgeon explained before I had to do a trip that Fluid in your band does not expand whilst in the air. An empty band is more likely to give you problems. I have flown a number of times since being banded - long trips where I had to fly 12 - 13 hours and had no problems with my band whatsoever.If the worst does come to the worst and your band feels tight it will resolve as soon as you touch down. The safest thing to do is request a special diet e.g Soup. If it is a short flight you don't have to eat anything - just eat before you take off and stay hydrated whilst you are flying.

If you are in the green zone you shouldn't get anything taken out. Sometimes it can be hard to get to the right spot again.

Thanks for all your responses! I keep hearing different things from different people - some swear that flying causes their band to tighten, while others say there is no reason for that since it is a closed system. I guess, I'll just trust that my doctor did what he said he did, (even though there is no indication on my body or in what I felt), stick to liquids in the air, and hope for the best! Thanks again, everyone.

I asked my doctor just yesterday about flying. She said just stick to liquids for the day and you'll be fine. However, that does not address your feelings about your doctor. Has he ever given you any other reason to distrust him? Does he usually humor you or talk down to you? If not, I'd let it go. But when you are ready for another fill, have him remove everything so you know where you are.

A lot of them are just billing the insurance company..such as mine...and not trying to truly provide a service. Set his ass up and call him out.

Long story short- I wouldn't put anything past docs. I spent over $800 bucks out of pocket for fills to a surgeon who was doing nothing other than poking me and not ever putting any Fluid in my band over a period of 4 months. I finally went to my original Surgeon to find I had still only had 1.2cc in my band, when the fill doc I had been spending all the money and time at told me I had 7.5cc!!! I thought something was wrong with me or my band, that I had that much Fluid and felt NO different.

So the bogus surgeon that was doing my fills was either injecting into my fatty tissue or not putting anything in at all. Thank God I flew down to my doc finally to get a leak test and get 6cc's put in. 7 months post op I finally felt restriction for the first time ever.

I don't trust anyone here to touch me now!!

I would love to believe that all doctors are trustworthy. But, they are human beings like the rest of us. If that happened to me, I would wonder about a financial issue. My insurance pays $420.00 to the doctor for a fill and only about $30.00 to just talk to me and send me on my way. If there is no difference in his rate of compensation, I can't imagine why he would "just humor" you.

Hi - well, I'm back from vacation - had a great time~ after two stuck episodes right at the begginning (dinner the ngith we got there and lunch the next day), I had no problems, It seems as if I can't eat anything solid for Breakfast, (I just have a Protein shake) and then can't really eat until after around 1:00 and then slowly I can eat more and more during the day until dinner, when I can't eat almost anything if I chew it well.That's my overall pattern with the band, reguardless of vacation, flying, or anything else and I just will have to learn to live with it. Happy New Year Everyone!