Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded Dec. 22nd!!! Have ALOT of Pre-Surgery Questions!!!

Hi everyone :)

I'm getting banded Dec 22nd in Long Island, NY. I'm 22 and I am sooooo ready for this! I am anticipating NOT shopping at plus size stores and being able to go into ANY store and be able to buy any piece of clothing and not having to wonder if the same shirt comes in a 'plus size'. I am now at 257 and I am tired of noticing & realizing that I am the 'fattest person in the room'... With that being said, I have just a couple questions... Well maybe not a couple, a few hundred lol jk jk

1. I have GHI New York City insurance and I know that they cover the FULL cost of the surgery, but I wanted to know if there are ANY hospital/surgery out of pocket bills that I would have to pay?

2. My goal weight is 145 and I want to lose 100 lbs in a year. I wanted to know what would be the most beneficial work out regimen to be able to lose 100 lbs in the first year. I know it varies from person to person but I just want to get an idea frm you guys as to your diet/excersice habits that allowed you to lose the weight.

3. Flabby skin anyone? Lol. No seriously, I would like to know if when you lose, will you have a HUGE problem with flabby skin.

4. I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not I should tell some of my family and friends about the surgery. I really don't want a lot of people to know and I just want to settle into the new me comfortably without people inquiring about the surgery and asking questions that I don't want to answer.

5. I am an Black female who just graduated college living in Nassau County LI (originally from BROOKLYNNNNN! :)) and I wanted to know if there is any other people in the LI or Brooklyn area that I can talk to who went through the same thing.

Thanks for ANY feedback. It's much appreciated.

OMG I am getting banded by Dr. Vohra and I have GHI 12/19 and my husband 12/5. Although I want to move it up to 12/12 if possible. Will know more after Wednesday which is my second appointment with him. I will be done with my pre-op stuff by Tuesday YEAH! I also may do the new plication with lap-band procedure. Here is a video I found about it

1- Gail (office manager) told me I am only responsible for my deductible Mine is $300 but most GHI is $200 if you already met that for the year then you paid NOTHING. I was also told that all appointments for 3 months after the surgery is covered as post opt with your insurance. So no more deductibles for us until April.

2- I would like the answer to that too :)

3- I hear if flabby skin cause rashes GHI will pay for remove it YEAH!

4- My new motto "What people think about us, is none of our business"- by Paolo Coelho

I only told my parents, husband and 2 friends. No one at work will know. I don't no negative remarks or food police comments, so the less people know the better.

5- I am originally from NYC but now in Long Island. I do plan on attending support groups held at South Nassau to meet some new banded friends (there is one 11-16) I am always looking for some inspirational friends.

I will friend here now cause I would love to keep in contact with people getting banded around the same time. Also check out the December Bandsters thread.

GOOD LUCK!!!

PS If you have any info on Dr. Vohra please let me know. :)

To: SkinniMiniMe

Omg really!? Congratulations!

I haven't heard much about the plication, but what makes you want to do it? And what are the benefits of it?

I love Dr. Vhora & his team. He's one of the best! Let's keep in touch.

I didn't know that GHI will pay to remove the skin. How did you hear about this? I'm going to the support group at South Nasaau on Dec. 8th. I'm so excited about everything. And this website just give me hope & more courage to go through with everything.

Yep me too I have been on here since I decided to get banded. Boy did I wish I did this at 22 but better late than never! The band with plication makes sense that it would be better long term. You feel restriction right away without fills and if you ever plateau you can get the fills with the lapand. No more waiting for the "green zone". That is when you fill is perfect and you lose weight steadily. Its new but many on here have it. Its called iBand I even seen iLap, search it and you will get more info. It is very new so its considered investigational meaning he has to keep data on patients with to see the long term effects of the surgery. From what I read less chance of slippage too. I love that he is not quick to just do things without really looking into all the information. He wanted to make sure that there is a revision surgery for it just in case and from what I read its reversible. I will ask him more on Wednesday. Also it is reported that you can lose as fast as someone with the gastric sleeve!

How did you find out about Dr. V? My husband was going to do the surgery in 2008. I talked him out of it and now here we are. His doctor referred him to Dr. V and I really like him and have only heard great things about him. Well I may try to go to a support group too maybe I will try for 12/8.

As far as plastic surgery, I learned about it here! If you have surgery to lose weight and the skin causes infections they will pay to have it removed! :) That is with most insurances. Of course if I can avoid surgery I will ....so off to my gym I will go to tighten up!

To: SkinniMiniMe

Omg really!? Congratulations!

I haven't heard much about the plication, but what makes you want to do it? And what are the benefits of it?

I love Dr. Vhora & his team. He's one of the best! Let's keep in touch.

I didn't know that GHI will pay to remove the skin. How did you hear about this? I'm going to the support group at South Nasaau on Dec. 8th. I'm so excited about everything. And this website just give me hope & more courage to go through with everything.

Hmmm I'll ask him about plication as well. My sister is getting the sleeve and my mom is worried about her cutting part of her stomach out. Maybe plication could be the solution. Does he know if it is reversible?

My sister found out about. Dr.V. She was referred to him. I'm not sure from whom. I originally was gonna go to a different doctor but after she told me how good he was, I agreed to go to him. He's doing both our surgeries back to back. I'm so excited for her more than myself. She's a size 26 and such a beautiful person inside and out and I know that the surgery will make her so happy. Dr. V is very realistic and isn't out to make money. He didn't want to do the sleeve on me because he said I was too young and that the lap band would serve as a boost to me losing weight. And that in about 5 years he wants to remove it. I'm just dreading the adjustments. Every 5 weeks!? Lol but hey I'm ready to start my new life so I'm not complaining.

That is what I loved about him too. He is not quick just to the surgeries. You can tell he wants to do it right. My husband wanted the sleeve and because he is a smoker he will not do the sleeve on him!!! I never really wanted to cut my stomach out or my husband to, so for me I was happy :)

I am not sure if it will work well for your sister, ask him about it. Not too late to change. For me I was not comfortable with it until I came on here. Many people have it. Also from what I read it is reversible. Again I have to talk to him about it wednesday. For what I understand with the plication less fills needed!

My husband and I are both schedule 2 weeks apart and I want to change to 1 week. I wanted to do it the same day but we have 2 kids (5&8) and we need each other to help around the house after surgery.

It seems so far away but I know its going to come very quickly.

BTW the only other thing I paid for was the co-pays and the pschy which was $175 which I hear (on here) that its pretty cheap and our nutionist is included.

Hmmm I'll ask him about plication as well. My sister is getting the sleeve and my mom is worried about her cutting part of her stomach out. Maybe plication could be the solution. Does he know if it is reversible?

My sister found out about. Dr.V. She was referred to him. I'm not sure from whom. I originally was gonna go to a different doctor but after she told me how good he was, I agreed to go to him. He's doing both our surgeries back to back. I'm so excited for her more than myself. She's a size 26 and such a beautiful person inside and out and I know that the surgery will make her so happy. Dr. V is very realistic and isn't out to make money. He didn't want to do the sleeve on me because he said I was too young and that the lap band would serve as a boost to me losing weight. And that in about 5 years he wants to remove it. I'm just dreading the adjustments. Every 5 weeks!? Lol but hey I'm ready to start my new life so I'm not complaining.

Ok ladies first I want to say congrats on your decision to become healthier individuals. To answer your 2nd and 3rd questions, the faster you lose the weight the more skin you will have hanging! 2-3 lbs a week is a good amount to work towards. When working out weights definitely helps with keeping you toned. Also age plays a huge role in the elasticity of your skin. I hope this helped a little.

I'll say a littl' prayer for ya before I go to sleep... the band awaits me 22 Dec too!!! Good Luck!

Good luck to u Grider! A new beginning awaits us :)

Yes it does!

Rose