Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post Lap Band Surgery And A Margarita???

I agree with you - live your life - drink in moderation and count the calories in your daily intake. I have a margarita when I want one and I am still losing weight - my first one was about 4 weeks post op with no problems

I ended up not having one. I did have a small brownie. I was well under my calories and stopped at just that.

I see I'm a little late on this one, but why is everyone so pro-drinking, one drink! geeze. I hope you had it and I hope you had a good time. You stated you're not a big drinker, and you know it's a lot of calories. Just don't find yourself making excuses to wander too often... that's what got us here! You still have to live life.

Honestly, I think you should do what you want to do. You're an adult. You know what's best for you. Just be careful and all in moderation. I personally would not do it. But you know you. Good luck on your journey!!

Glad your party went well. I am getting banded on the 16th of Dec and was starting to get discouraged coming to this forum and began to think twice after all the limitations people have posted. I am a weekend drinker and know that has already changed in preparation for being banded. Anyway on my last consult with my surgeon I talked with them about this forum and was advised to be careful about what advice I take in from other people. My surgeon said there are some rules to follow but let your body tell you what you can and can't do. I brought up alcohol and he said the biggest problem other than the obvious health warnings of it was the fact that it contains empty calories. The overall message he was putting out was that everyone is different, and some people have different beliefs or tolerate different foods different ways, just the same as with the band or without.

He said if I want to have a drink with the band I will be fine. I won't explode or anything, but just be smart and use common sense. Unless something goes wrong with my surgery on the 16th, I will be having a low calorie alcohol drink on New Years...;-)

OLD BANDER HERE: Lighten up everybody! Those rigid rules are setting you up for failure and they are just not reasonable! Have a margarita or two...they're not poison!! I have NEVER dieted and NEVER exercised beyond walking my fat dog...I have tried to only make changes I can live with forever...I have a glass or two of wine every day...I'm French!

It's hard to believe that people who are banded NEVER drink alcohol. My doctor did not tell me I could never have it, just that it's best to wait about 6 months. The same goes for Pasta and bread. They suggest that time frame to allow the tummy to heal. I do think 2 weeks is a bit early. I'm out two weeks as of yesterday, and I'm just now entering soft foods. That means my tummy hasn't healed all the way yet. I couldn't imagine drinking alcohol right now as I haven't even returned to normal food as of yet. Alcohol may also cause acid indigestion which I've heard is intensified with the band. Proceed with caution! You never know how you are going to react to the alcohol, and being in a public place when trying something new can be embarassing and uncomfortable. So my opinion is it's okay to drink alcohol in moderation as long as you are completely healed. I do not believe that you are completely healed within 2 weeks.

LMBO...I just noticed this topic was posted 3 weeks ago! You can forget everything I just said!! haha...ssooo funny.

Just my 2 cents...in the first month I tried alcohol and it made me sick...but now 7 months out I can drink..I'm not a big drinker so maybe one cocktail a month and I'm fine.

I was just banded on the 22nd and it's my 21st today so I'm gonna partake in one small drink just to Celebrate. I rarely drink so I'm not worried about the calories. I figure that since this is a rite of passage birthday that I may as well splurge and have one less pudding cup tomorrow haha