Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to ask gp for referral to get LapBand?

Hi fellow bandees, I am only new to this and have my surgery scheduled for the 28th of November, i have done all my blood tests, urine tests, organised things with the insurance company now the last thing i need to do before i go in for the official consultation with my surgeon is to get a referral from my general practitioner for the LapBand.

The doctor i currently visit is off on maternity leave... and i have never really spoken to any of the other doctors at my medical centre but I have booked an appointment with one of them for tomorrow, just wondering how i would bring it up to him.. because a lot of the doctors i have seen before have been very condescending when it comes to WLS, i am 20 years of age and have very high cholesterol level, have over 155lbs to lose, so i am in desperate need of the surgery... just nervous about how to bring it up to the doc so i get a referral easily... any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

I don't know any other way besides being direct with them. State the case to them that you just made above and insist that they support you in your endeavor to get healthy.

When you discuss it with them, I would stress the "getting healthy" part over the "I want to lose weight and look good" (not that you indicated otherwise)

I can't believe that any Doctor would stand in your way if you exhibit the pre-morbidity symptoms that you outline with your cholesterol, and your weight and BMI support the case.

If they refuse to support you, then I would say it's time for a second opinion.

My doctor was extremely supportive when I finally decided to get the surgery. Even though he had never brought it up to me as an option prior to me asking him for the referral.

I agree with Jim....be very direct. Just let the doctor know what you want and why. Don't back down and let them know this is your health and your body.

My primary doctor looks down on weight loss surgery and didn't want me to have it. She didn't want to write a letter right away, but wanted me to check out a Medifast clinic first. I told her "No. I want the surgery". She still made me wait and I still called her office saying I wanted my letter for the insurance company. Then she made me write out a letter stating all of my weight loss attempts. I wanted to tell her "can't you look at my charts from the past 7 or 8 years and see how big I have gotten? Hell, you don't even have to look at the chart you can see it when I walk in". I think she thought I would give up, but I typed everything up and emailed it to my husbnad so he could take the letter to her that very same day. Needless to say, I got my letter and surgery almost a year ago. I'm not at my goal yet, but this was the best decision I ever made.

I was nervous about approaching my gp as well. I didn't need a referral but decided to ask her what she thought of it anyway. She was very supportive and told me that she had several patients that had already had it done with great success.

I don't think your gp would be against it but may council you on the different WLS options to make sure you are informed and are making the right choice for you. I don't think your age will be a factor as you are already struggling with health issues at a pretty young age.

Just put on your big girl panties (said tongue in cheek), march in there with confidence (even if you need to fake it) and have a mature discussion with him/her.

I would approach it like this.

"I would like to get a referral for WLS surgery. I have done a lot of research and have decided that lap band surgery will be the best surgery for me. While I realize the weight loss is slower and at my weight a lot of dr.'s might recommend RNY or gastric sleeve instead, here are the reasons I would like to have lap band surgery instead..... then list your reasons. I would then get into your current health issues and how losing weight could help correct them and prevent future issues which could be on the horizon for you. I would also discuss the diets you have tried and efforts you have made over the years and why you think you have failed and why WLS would help you overcome these obstacles.

I think if you go in armed with knowledge and you can show the dr. that you have really thought about this and researched this you won't come up against much resistance - if any. You may get a whole lot of support instead!

Good luck to you!

Hii everyone and thanks so so much for all your wonderful suggestions!

I actually wrote a few pointers down so i can remember them before going in! im the type of person that can be easily convinced with nice words, hence last year when i went to the doctor to discuss WLS they managed to talk me out of it, but this time around i have made up my mind and have done all the other work there is to do including getting blood tests and insurance approval, just need a sign from my gp which i WILL get tonight and do this for myself!! I am usually a lot more comfortable talking to my own gp who supports me a lot but she is out on maternity leave and the doctor i am visiting today is known to be not very nice!

There is no point of them telling me to get onto weight watchers or jenny craig or even Optifast, because I have done it all! I started dieting at the age of 12... and honestly dont want to continue on my life being unhealthy... i have a family history of cholesterol and mines is even higher(9.0 HDL) than my dad who has had it his whole life!! Just today i ran up a flight of ten stairs to catch a train and was trying to regain breath ten minutes later...

My previous GP did say that i should first try dieting, eating healthy, then if that didnt work try slim shakes, if that didnt work cholesterol meds, the final option would be WLS... i skipped the cholesterol meds bit because that would only suppress the condition.. I WANT IT GONE!! ALL OF IT!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL IN YOUR JOURNEY AND THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT! be ensured that you will be seeing me in many of these posts since I am only starting off and have a very very long way to go and will be looking up to you all for inspiration!

Thanks!!

I DID IT! i walked into that doctors office with all my information and knowledge and determination to get that refferal and i got it!

I told him all my reasons for wanting the surgery and didnt give him the chance to think twice after which he didnt even hesitate and me the paperwork! next step is consultation with the surgeon!! success feels so close i can smell it!!! thanks for all the ideas!!!!

Great!

I was very direct too. I had already chosen my surgeon, so I just went in and said "I need a referral to Dr Caska for lapband." She asked a few questions, which I answered, and that was that!

Good luck for your surgery!

Way to take charge and get what you want!!!! This also shows you will work hard in your weight loss journey. Good job, so proud of you

If you have had up and down weight problems it will be in your chart! Me, I am thankful that my GP asked me if I ever considered WLS, I cried and said no because my Dr. before her never mentioned it to me, she gave me a name of a Dr to call and it took me a while but July 25 I was banded.

My first visit back to her she was smiling and so happy for me!

Well done!